Fleck on Rossi: “He’s one of the best football coaches that I have ever been around.”

I agree Rossi did not forget how to coach. But PJ has no answer other than inexperience.
Whose fault is that?
Martin improved but his starting line was way ahead of the guys we are playing now.
If we have Big Ten athletes after two games they should show improvement versus Illinois, I'd think?

I agree Rossi did not forget how to coach. But PJ has no answer other than inexperience.
Whose fault is that?

Martin improved but his starting line was way ahead of the guys we are playing now.
If we have Big Ten athletes after two games they should show improvement versus Illinois, I'd think?

Well that just takes time.

Right now on scholarship we have this on defense. I've taken out the injured and optioned out.

Seniors-5
Juniors-8
Sophomores-2
Freshmen-24
That's not good balance.

Less than 10 days ago Joe Rossi was our hero who turned everything around like magic and had a better reputation around here than Fleck himself. Everyone needs to chill.

let the dancing begin.

Rossi has earned the right to benefit of the doubt. But we need some younger players on D to grow up quickly ...

Whose fault is that?
It is the fault of being good last year.
If we sucked we could’ve mixed more guys and not cared about winning. Then guys who have more experience.

Honestly the run fits by linebackers and the safeties angles are what is killing the team. That can be coached and get better. I am going to assume these guys weren’t shitty high school players so at one point they took better angles and had better fits when the game was slower.

That also can be recruited over if that isn’t the case

Rossi has earned the right to benefit of the doubt. But we need some younger players on D to grow up quickly ...

I remember Michael Carter starting ages ago when he was young.

He got BEAT ... badly often, and they kept putting him out there.

Given time he turned out pretty good:

It is the fault of being good last year.
If we sucked we could’ve mixed more guys and not cared about winning. Then guys who have more experience.

Honestly the run fits by linebackers and the safeties angles are what is killing the team. That can be coached and get better. I am going to assume these guys weren’t shitty high school players so at one point they took better angles and had better fits when the game was slower.

That also can be recruited over if that isn’t the case
Huh...wonder how other successful programs do it.

I remember Michael Carter starting ages ago when he was young.

He got BEAT ... badly often, and they kept putting him out there.

Given time he turned out pretty good:
Never get old, thanks. Loved those unis!

Huh...wonder how other successful programs do it.
They have depth of talent which allows them to play a lot of guys without missing a beat and allows them to have sustained experience.

Depth of talent can’t be built in 2-3 years. It takes a decade or more to get to the point where you have a program that never takes a step back.

Michigan state went 3-9 the year after going to the playoff.

I wish we were better. We look like shit.
It is either lack of talent, experience, or more likely...a combo of both

Right now on scholarship we have this on defense. I've taken out the injured and optioned out.

Seniors-5
Juniors-8
Sophomores-2
Freshmen-24
That is pretty crazy but if you are going to sign 25 guys every year it is probably not going to change drastically going forward?

That is pretty crazy but if you are going to sign 25 guys every year it is probably not going to change drastically going forward?
Yeah, if you take 25 a year it doesn't change drastically (accept having more sophmores). With 25 each class you have to hit roughly this average for the whole team:
1 year: 25
2 year: 21
3 year: 17
4 year: 13
5 year: 9

If every player redshirted, the best you get with Maxy's splits are:

Senior: 4 or 5
Junior: 6 or 7
Sophmore: 8 or 9
Freshmen: 23

So we can see the sophmore class is really the only thing off in numbers based on taking 25 a class and everyone redshirting. This means that the talent either needs to be developed earlier so the depth is there (which we do not have) or eventually you take smaller classes when you get to the large Junior and Senior classes, which causes a drop off after they graduate. Now this changes a tad bit when not everyone redshirts as some of the freshmen numbers bubble up earlier, but still wouldn't affect this too much.

I think PJ is trying to address the depth problem first (which hasn't been helped by early attrition in his defensive classes) and then will start taking slightly smaller classes as attrition doesn't match the 4 per class per year average.

Fleck has hinted in the past that (almost to the first year he was here) that we have a balance problem. He doesn't want to throw any past coach under the bus. I admire him for that as he is clearly taking some punches and unnecessary criticism.

Going to take some time for the program to get righted properly as to classes being balance. Next year another challenge due to the fact that seniors can hang on to another year if they like.

They have depth of talent which allows them to play a lot of guys without missing a beat and allows them to have sustained experience.

Depth of talent can’t be built in 2-3 years. It takes a decade or more to get to the point where you have a program that never takes a step back.

Michigan state went 3-9 the year after going to the playoff.

I wish we were better. We look like shit.
It is either lack of talent, experience, or more likely...a combo of both
Dantonio is probably not a good example...

Yeah, if you take 25 a year it doesn't change drastically (accept having more sophmores). With 25 each class you have to hit roughly this average for the whole team:
1 year: 25
2 year: 21
3 year: 17
4 year: 13
5 year: 9

If every player redshirted, the best you get with Maxy's splits are:

Senior: 4 or 5
Junior: 6 or 7
Sophmore: 8 or 9
Freshmen: 23

So we can see the sophmore class is really the only thing off in numbers based on taking 25 a class and everyone redshirting. This means that the talent either needs to be developed earlier so the depth is there (which we do not have) or eventually you take smaller classes when you get to the large Junior and Senior classes, which causes a drop off after they graduate. Now this changes a tad bit when not everyone redshirts as some of the freshmen numbers bubble up earlier, but still wouldn't affect this too much.

I think PJ is trying to address the depth problem first (which hasn't been helped by early attrition in his defensive classes) and then will start taking slightly smaller classes as attrition doesn't match the 4 per class per year average.
There’s no way we can max out every year and be successful unless our level of recruiting took a big jump. Most of the guys coming here are not ready to contribute right away.

Why not?

Michigan state pre-dantonio is very a similar program to Minnesota...Mason to 2016 (in my opinion)
That was Dantonio's one losing regular season and he actually had under classmen leave that year.

Edit: Also an example of a new HC not stepping back...

Last edited:

That was Dantonio's one losing regular season and he actually had under classmen leave that year.
If you ignore dantonios first two seasons, dantonio had .500 or worse big ten seasons in 4/11 seasons
If you don’t ignore his first two seasons he had a .500 or worse big ten record in 5/13 seasons.

I guess he won every single year though.

Edit: Also an example of a new HC not stepping back...
To your edit, I have no idea what the numbers bear out when looking at year over year results of a new coach compared to an old coach.

I do know I don’t really judge a new coach on how he is building a program until years 3-7 unless years 1-2 are unmitigated disasters.

2 years before dantonio Michigan state went 5-6 and during dantonios year they went 7-6
2 years before fleck Minnesota went 5-7 then made a bowl and finished 6-7. In flecks first year Minnesota went 5-7.

fleck Failed to reach the same level as dantonio in his first two years. No doubt. Fleck has not been as successful as one of the top 5 coaches in the big ten over the last 15 years. But even that coach had down years in his program after his up years. Dantonio was under .500 in the conference in 4 of his last 11 years as coach and in 5/13 overall.
what do you want to do? Should we fire assistant coaches?

To your edit, I have no idea what the numbers bear out when looking at year over year results of a new coach compared to an old coach.

I do know I don’t really judge a new coach on how he is building a program until years 3-7 unless years 1-2 are unmitigated disasters.

2 years before dantonio Michigan state went 5-6 and during dantonios year they went 7-6
2 years before fleck Minnesota went 5-7 then made a bowl and finished 6-7. In flecks first year Minnesota went 5-7.

fleck Failed to reach the same level as dantonio in his first two years. No doubt. Fleck has not been as successful as one of the top 5 coaches in the big ten over the last 15 years. But even that coach had down years in his program after his up years. Dantonio was under .500 in the conference in 4 of his last 11 years as coach and in 5/13 overall.
what do you want to do? Should we fire assistant coaches?
It's pretty close to 50/50 whether the new HC does worse compared to the same or better. I've posted time and time again that Fleck isn't going anywhere soon. Being critical doesn't equate to wanting him or other coaches fired.

Top Bottom