Fleck on Gophers freshmen class: “They’re really good. This class is really (a) special class.”

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Coach P.J. Fleck and staff had an early look at some freshmen in the 2021 recruiting class when they enrolled in school last winter. With preseason practice underway, Fleck has now seen all his freshmen. His verdict:

“They’re really good. This class is really (a) special class.”

Justin Walley was among early enrollees and although a true freshman the cornerback seems likely to play in 2021 games. The 5-11, 185 pound Walley was the Class 6A Mr. Mississippi Football and he figures to be a key contributor in the secondary during his U career.

Help on the back end is also likely to come (sooner or later) from freshman Steven Ortiz Jr. from Arizona. The 6-foot, 180 pound Ortiz was a four-star recruit, while Walley was a three-star. Both came from winning prep programs.

Frosh quarterback Athan Kaliakmanis, from Antioch, Illinois, threw some of the best spirals of any passers at a practice last week. The four-star prospect was ranked the No. 16 quarterback in the country by Rivals. He is all but certain to be redshirted on a deep QB roster.

There are freshmen showing poise despite their inexperience on the college level. Wide receiver Brady Boyd from Southlake, Texas looks the part early in his Minnesota Career. With Fleck taking a by-committee approach to the receiving game, August practice indicates Boyd could be making some Saturday receptions for the Gophers.

Go Gophers!!

There are freshmen showing poise despite their inexperience on the college level. Wide receiver Brady Boyd from Southlake, Texas looks the part early in his Minnesota Career. With Fleck taking a by-committee approach to the receiving game, August practice indicates Boyd could be making some Saturday receptions for the Gophers.
Brady Boyd is the 2021 recruit I'm highest on. He's coming from a very polished program and should be ready to play early. Looks like he will see the field faster than his high school QB, Quinn Ewers of Ohio State.

Brady Boyd is the 2021 recruit I'm highest on. He's coming from a very polished program and should be ready to play early. Looks like he will see the field faster than his high school QB, Quinn Ewers of Ohio State.
I am very excited about Brady Boyd, too. Southlake Carroll High School is in the top Texas 6A Conference, a conference fully loaded with talent. Because of that, he may have been a bit under the radar.

He is the 90th rated player in the conference according to 247sports.com. This conference is loaded with talented wide receivers. Seth Green Green's twin brothers are rated higher than Brady Boyd. The top recruit is Quinn Ewers, his HS quarterback. He will prosper under Matt Simon and PJ Fleck.

HS Scouting Report:
Above-average frame with lean, athletic build that can hold more bulk. Impressive verified speed in a combined environment (4.44, Spring 2019). Stacks corners and stretches the field vertically. Shows the top-end speed to outrun the secondary in the open field. Good production against great high school competition playing for one of the top programs in Texas Class 6A. Ball-aware and knows how to adjust on the fly. Flashes encouraging route leveraging. A two-sport athlete who runs track. Still improving hands-catching consistency and overall ball skills. Plays fast but 40 times may not consistently be reflected in on-field play speed. Long speed is strong but can improve initial burst off the line and in route suddenness. Power Five-caliber receiver with a promising toolset to become a potential multi-year starter in college.

Athletic Background
Played at Richland High School in North Richland Hills, Texas, before his junior season.
2019: Helped Southlake Carroll to a 13-1 record and a Texas 6A D-I state quarterfinal appearance as a junior.
2018: Earned first-team all-district honors as a sophomore at Richland High School.

Gabe Brooks - MIDLANDS REGION RECRUITING ANALYST, 11/22/2019

Last edited:

I'm high on Boyd also, Fleck and Simon will help him master the technical aspects of his position and I expect him to be elite in a couple years.

LOL yeah I noticed that. Shama has commented on those spirals multiple times now. He's pumped!
I literally cringed when I read that line because I knew where it would lead here :).

I'm just wondering who wrote this piece for Shama though because it was way above his usual standards. What's next.....Shooter actually coming up with good information.....

I'm high on Boyd also, Fleck and Simon will help him master the technical aspects of his position and I expect him to be elite in a couple years.
I live close to Boyd’s high school, and I’ve seen him play in person. He is a gamer. He comes to play when the lights come on. And yes, he played against the best Texas has to offer when it comes to high school talent.

Looking into the crystal ball, you do not sleep on Brady Boyd. In a three-wide receiver set with the promising WR Room once they get in sync (pick your other WRs, I don't recall this much-talented group), opposing defenses are going to deal with a stretched field with the threat of a run looming behind a massive agile Offensive Line. Brady Boyd will be a backbreaker if there are any defensive miscues.

I will not be surprised if he sees the playing field sooner. He was catching passes from tOSU's 5-Star Quinn Ewers as a 3-Star Wide receiver. If he was in another conference, he would have been rated a 4-Star. Brady Boyd contributed to Quinn Ewers' 5-Star rating.

I think the key to this season will surprise us. It is the Defense and Special Teams play. The difference between 1st place and 5th place in the B1G West may be decided by close games. This is also predicated on the Offense picking up from where they left off pre-pandemic.

Last edited:

Top Bottom