Fleck now the longest tenured HC of the 7 major men's sports in town

Adrian Heath was hired two months before PJ.
Can’t think of a scenario in 2022 where Gopher Hockey is more “major” than MNUFC.

Also it’s depressing that Adrian leads this pack. He’s also like top 3 or 4 in MLS tenures behind a bunch of future hall of famers.

Can’t think of a scenario in 2022 where Gopher Hockey is more “major” than MNUFC.

Also it’s depressing that Adrian leads this pack. He’s also like top 3 or 4 in MLS tenures behind a bunch of future hall of famers.
Agree that no one cares about D1 hockey in MN like they once did. People love the Wild and people love some Pro Soccer now.

I hope Fleck holds that spot for a long time.

The fact that whoever runs gopherhole twitter didn’t realize this is pretty sad.

Are they claiming the 7 major mens teams to be Vikings, Twins, Wild, Wolves, Gopher FB, Gopher BB and Gopher mens hockey? Cause that hockey choice is laughable.

The fact that whoever runs gopherhole twitter didn’t realize this is pretty sad.

Are they claiming the 7 major mens teams to be Vikings, Twins, Wild, Wolves, Gopher FB, Gopher BB and Gopher mens hockey? Cause that hockey choice is laughable.
They managed to have a goalie who is older than Tanner though. Well till yesterday that is....

Agree that no one cares about D1 hockey in MN like they once did. People love the Wild and people love some Pro Soccer now.

It's really sad. People still loved Gopher Hockey even after the Wild came to town. It was the whole B1G hockey conference that killed the game instantly in this town.

I've only been to one MNUFC game, but it was lots of fun.

It's really sad. People still loved Gopher Hockey even after the Wild came to town. It was the whole B1G hockey conference that killed the game instantly in this town.

I’m glad I was able to experience WCHA Gopher Hockey. So much fun, but the death was so quick after the B1G started.

Really miss those Alaska-Anchorage and Northern Michigan tilts . . .

Either you’re a B1G school/program, and fully part of the conference, or you’re not.

I have no problem with the move - at all. I enjoy, support, and root for the team. But in the broad view, it is a niche sport.

What lost me - very substantially - was having to play, and then losing to, something called Union College in the 2014 National Championship game. I guess Faber College was on probation that year.

I suspect this is true for others, and for a great many casual sports fans.

Really miss those Alaska-Anchorage and Northern Michigan tilts . . .

Either you’re a B1G school/program, and fully part of the conference, or you’re not.

I have no problem with the move - at all. I enjoy, support, and root for the team. But in the broad view, it is a niche sport.

What lost me - very substantially - was having to play, and then losing to, something called Union College in the 2014 National Championship game. I guess Faber College was on probation that year.

I suspect this is true for others, and for a great many casual sports fans.
Attributing the decline in interest to the B1G move is a lazy take. There were way more factors than that.

Also, track things/interest levels since BSU, Mankato, and St. Cloud got D-1 programs.

Attributing the decline in interest to the B1G move is a lazy take. There were way more factors than that.
Of course, I was 100% joking about the former WCHA “rivalries”. I almost said that same thing verbatim - it is such a lazy take. Had an interesting “discussion” with a dude at the state fair Gophers exhibit about 10 years ago. Thought he was going to start crying - or punch someone - worked up about the move.

All factors considered, the move to the B1G was correct.

with all due respect, I think this is an apples-to-oranges comparison. You're comparing college jobs to pro jobs and in different sports.

The real question is where Fleck ranks in seniority in comparison to other B1G coaches or other P5 coaches. Tied for 6th place, if my math adds up.

in the B1G, by my count:
Ferentz 23 seasons
Fitzgerald 16
Franklin 8
Chryst 7
Harbaugh 7
Fleck 5
Allen 5
Brohm 5
Frosty 4
Day 3
Locksley 3
Schiano 2 seasons in current tenure - 13 total at Rutgers
Tucker 2
Bulimia 1

Of course, I was 100% joking about the former WCHA “rivalries”. I almost said that same thing verbatim - it is such a lazy take. Had an interesting “discussion” with a dude at the state fair Gophers exhibit about 10 years ago. Thought he was going to start crying - or punch someone - worked up about the move.

All factors considered, the move to the B1G was correct.
How do you figure that Gopher Hockey has benefitted from moving to the B1G?
And yes, I realize once the conference made the decision to sponsor the sport, we had no choice.

How do you figure that Gopher Hockey has benefitted from moving to the B1G?
And yes, I realize once the conference made the decision to sponsor the sport, we had no choice.
I don't agree that we have benefitted, but there are way more factors in the decline in attendance/interest than the B1G move.

I know your post wasn't directed at me but that's my input on the topic.

For one, the NHL proactively killed American college hockey. Unlike the NFL, the NHL pretty openly discussed it as a competitor in many regions that needed to be crushed, they took action to do so — they succeeded.

I don't agree that we have benefitted, but there are way more factors in the decline in attendance/interest than the B1G move.

I know your post wasn't directed at me but that's my input on the topic.
They no longer play consistently on Friday/Saturday. Pricing is ridiculous based on attendance. It's also not popular on a high enough level based on so few teams. There are not 6 D1 fan bases in MN alone.

with all due respect, I think this is an apples-to-oranges comparison. You're comparing college jobs to pro jobs and in different sports.

The real question is where Fleck ranks in seniority in comparison to other B1G coaches or other P5 coaches. Tied for 6th place, if my math adds up.

in the B1G, by my count:
Ferentz 23 seasons
Fitzgerald 16
Franklin 8
Chryst 7
Harbaugh 7
Fleck 5
Allen 5
Brohm 5
Frosty 4
Day 3
Locksley 3
Schiano 2 seasons in current tenure - 13 total at Rutgers
Tucker 2
Bulimia 1
PJ will move to 6th by himself if Harbaugh moves to the NFL as many are projecting

For one, the NHL proactively killed American college hockey. Unlike the NFL, the NHL pretty openly discussed it as a competitor in many regions that needed to be crushed, they took action to do so — they succeeded.
Hmm, I see it differently. 30+ years ago the top college hockey player(s) made it to the NHL. Today it’s a more common route to NHL, especially for American born players.

I’d contend that the NHL has enchanted college hockey, with better players staying here instead of going to Canada. They definitely changed the landscape of college hockey.

I agree. How many D1 FB programs compete with six major men's sports for fan and media attention and merchandise sales in their market? Fleck has done a notable job to elevate Gopher FB amidst all that competition.

the NHL pretty openly discussed it as a competitor in many regions that needed to be crushed, they took action to do so — they succeeded.
What? Where did this come from? The Gophers were more popular than the North Stars when they were still here. And Detroit, Boston and NY already have successful NHL teams. Even Hartford had an NHL team for a time. Who are they crushing?

They no longer play consistently on Friday/Saturday. Pricing is ridiculous based on attendance. It's also not popular on a high enough level based on so few teams. There are not 6 D1 fan bases in MN alone.
All of these are true except the Friday Saturday myth that keeps perpetuating. The gophers have played every game on those nights excluding exhibitions

Friday/Saturday issue isn't really true. I'll agree the Gophers are priced too high (but still way cheaper than the Wild - have you seen their prices????).

Mark Wilf stated the Vikings are looking for a leader, a communicator, someone who works collaboratively in filling their vacant positions. I think those people are very difficult to find.

I could see PJ being the next Vikings GM.

Friday/Saturday issue isn't really true. I'll agree the Gophers are priced too high (but still way cheaper than the Wild - have you seen their prices????).
Yeah. The first few seasons, you could get affordable Wild tickets, but they're crazy expensive now.
Same with the Wolves, but you can find deals here and there.

Expensive tickets and the donation seating plan are what killed Gopher hockey attendance. Once people stopped going they never came back. That and playing lesser known and less familiar competition.

Top Bottom