Fleck Monday Press Conference on "The Call": “No controversy about it”

Very well explained by Fleck. It won't get through to the Iowa people that have decided it is some massive conspiracy against their team but he laid it out very clearly as to what you can and can't do in those situations.

And in the end, the official watching the returner is the one that blew the play by not blowing it dead the moment DeJean touched it.

Couldn't have explained it better myself

The sounds since early Saturday evening, of Hawkeye fans’ skulls metaphorically - and unwarrantedly - cracking open, has been deafening, sustained, yet oddly, pleasantly melodic.

He said we got called for this earlier this season; does anyone remember when this was? If it was an attempted punt return that was immediately blown dead for invalid fair catch signal, then probably not a very memorable play, just curious if anyone knows specifically which play he’s referring to.

He said we got called for this earlier this season; does anyone remember when this was? If it was an attempted punt return that was immediately blown dead for invalid fair catch signal, then probably not a very memorable play, just curious if anyone knows specifically which play he’s referring to.
I believe it was one of the kickoff blunders we had earlier in the year.

The Gophers returned a punt this season?

. . . And in the end, the official watching the returner is the one that blew the play by not blowing it dead the moment DeJean touched it.
This is exactly right. It was an easy call to make under the rule, and there is no reason to let the play happen, so you can fix it later. This is not like a runner's knee being down or whether a runner was down before the ball came out on a fumble, where it is hard to see in real time, and letting things play out makes sense. In this situation, the player is wide out in the open, and the infraction is very easy to see. The play should have been blown dead the second the returner possessed the ball. The non-TD TD should never have happened, and the official who let it happen should be corrected.

I also very much doubt the suggestion by the Big Ten that the officials actually let the play happen thinking there was a violation, but wanting to check the replay. The one good point that Ferentz makes is why did the official tell him they were reviewing the play to see if the returner was out of bounds, if they were really reviewing for invalid fair catch signal. Now perhaps the account by Ferentz of the conversation with the official is not accurate, but I will be interested to see if the Big Ten contradicts Ferentz's account of what he was told by the official.

And in the end, the official watching the returner is the one that blew the play by not blowing it dead the moment DeJean touched it.
That's true. If he had, there would be zero discussion about this.

Ferentz is a good coach. A classy person, ummmmm, not so much.......

If he had an ounce of class, Iowa fans would've already heard this from Ferentz yesterday. Alas...
Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath for any sort of acknowledgement from Ferentz that he was wrong. Court of public opinion is still on his side and it keeps the focus off his offense some if he and other people have something else to complain about.

Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath for any sort of acknowledgement from Ferentz that he was wrong. Court of public opinion is still on his side and it keeps the focus off his offense some if he and other people have something else to complain about.
I'd recommend that Ferentz no longer encourages his players to practice the Chicken Dance prior to fielding a punt.

Couple subtle shots in that clip. Fleck clearly indicates that the ref told him they were reviewing the fair catch signal. Ferentz clearly indicated the ref told him they were reviewing if he was out of bounds. It's possible both are telling the truth. It's also possible one is lying. Seeing as how they DID review the fair catch signal, it seems pretty clear that PJ is not lying.

PJ's smirk when someone brought up what Kirk said is pretty telling. I haven't been able to find out cause TV coverage didn't show it, but was there a handshake after the game or was it a blow-by?

Couple subtle shots in that clip. Fleck clearly indicates that the ref told him they were reviewing the fair catch signal. Ferentz clearly indicated the ref told him they were reviewing if he was out of bounds. It's possible both are telling the truth. It's also possible one is lying. Seeing as how they DID review the fair catch signal, it seems pretty clear that PJ is not lying.

PJ's smirk when someone brought up what Kirk said is pretty telling. I haven't been able to find out cause TV coverage didn't show it, but was there a handshake after the game or was it a blow-by?
Is there video of that?

I believe it was one of the kickoff blunders we had earlier in the year.
That's the thing about these plays. When the refs blows the whistle and stops the play, no one remembers it.

People keep saying they've never seen it before. I would guess it happens every week in NCAA football, but they blow their whistle, and everyone moves on.

I thought for a second when Kirk took his last TO and then a kid tried to swat the ball, PJ was going to take his last couple of TO's

Top Bottom