Fleck is fired up on KFAN

“We need to bring in more NIL!!! Just do it!! That’s reality now!! Don’t you want to win?!?!”

No s__t???

Just that easy. Just decide to do it.

We “don’t” do it because we can’t do it.

Collectives don’t work, except at places that are already at the top and already are rich with big donors.

We don’t have big donors for football (entirely irrelevant to bring up big donors that don’t donate for football … you either do or don’t, you don’t get converted).

If there was an easy way to do this, they would’ve done it!!

But amateurism as pertains to big time college football and basketball has been in name only for years. When the star of the football team is driving a Range Rover it's not hard to see what was happening even before NIL.
Whatever was going on before in terms of payment is at minimum 10x worse now in terms of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer (a fair playing field is important in sports). I'd rather they actually enforce the rules they had instead of making it the wild west. But hey, if people want college ball to be minor league ball, that's fine. I'm just saying I'm not interested in it.

I will add, if it is going the route of turning into a full-fledged pro league, they should follow the model of other pro sports. Contracts, salary cap, medical coverage, maybe even a draft?

Last edited:

This arg has gone both ways and there are valid sides to both. Yes, "it happened before, now it's just out in the open", is correct. But did the transferring happen at this rate?

I don't doubt that Jameis Winston probably had a pocket full of cash and a nice car to drive, but did anyone from a different school dare to make him a firm financial offer to transfer? I highly doubt it.
You have a point with regards to the transfer portal. I can't remember how many guys I saw play this weekend who were on their third school. It was quite a few.

“We need to bring in more NIL!!! Just do it!! That’s reality now!! Don’t you want to win?!?!”

No s__t???

Collectives don’t work, except at places that are already at the top and already are rich with big donors.

We don’t have big donors for football (entirely irrelevant to bring up big donors that don’t donate for football … you either do or don’t, you don’t get converted).

I totally agree with you on that. There are no big FB donors. I have a hard time believing that coaches or admin at many schools are not involved in recruiting NIL donors though. Maybe I am totally wrong...

If you really want to fire Fleck up, maybe ask him this question?

“PJ, why did you hire a cornerbacks coach and safeties coach who have done to our secondary what Mike Sanford did to Tanner and our offense??”

Our defense has given up 800 something yards in the air the last two weeks??

Secondary was supposedly a strength this year?

I’m looking squarely at Nick Monroe and Danny Collins and I’m asking what the hell is going on??

No s__t???

Like I've said. It was ruined years ago. Go to final four. Kill your coach and program for helping them with their homework while watching the rest of the sweet 16 do the same thing.

Sadly I live in Wisconsin and here I see Badger players periodically appear in commercials and billboards for local businesses. Do we see that at all for Gophers athletes in the TC market?

It might be the homer in me but feel like having a guy like Tyler Nubin promote your company would be worth it.

Just hurry up and get to where there is a Premier League and then the feeder league/leagues. D1 should be broken up into 3 or 4 divisions/leagues.

If you really want to fire Fleck up, maybe ask him this question?

“PJ, why did you hire a cornerbacks coach and safeties coach who have done to our secondary what Mike Sanford did to Tanner and our offense??”

Our defense has given up 800 something yards in the air the last two weeks??

Secondary was supposedly a strength this year?

I’m looking squarely at Nick Monroe and Danny Collins and I’m asking what the hell is going on??
Yeah if PJ led with the NIL stuff thats prime time deflection...

I'd venture to guess that if the gophers were deep into NIL and had some huge donors and were top 10 in football and basketball because of it that you would have just as much or more interest. But maybe I am wrong...
That's 100% true, I won't deny that, but it doesn't change my opinion on the overall future health and balance of collegiate athletics.

He is right, its all about money. Huge NIL deals will automatically make it easier to coach and win. Look at Texas A&M, one of the big NIL schools. They will be #1 any day now.
Haha. Certainly the well paid freshman and sophomores haven't panned out yet, but if you had to place money on which school has a better chance of winning more games going forward in this new landscape, who would you choose????

Sadly I live in Wisconsin and here I see Badger players periodically appear in commercials and billboards for local businesses. Do we see that at all for Gophers athletes in the TC market?

It might be the homer in me but feel like having a guy like Tyler Nubin promote your company would be worth it.
Didn't Mo get fruit snacks or some shit?

Haha. Certainly the well paid freshman and sophomores haven't panned out yet, but if you had to place money on which school has a better chance of winning more games going forward in this new landscape, who would you choose????
They are 3-1 with a loss to Miami, and were a huge dissapointment last year. I'd trade rosters with them in a second though. I am not a fan of their coach at all.

This is correct and the #1 reason why MN is where they are.

Do you think Ohio State, Michigan of the 90s, Michigan State a few years ago weren't paying their guys?
Do we think that there are ANY of these studs in the SEC that do their homework?

I have news for everyone, none of them ever have. And the one time in the recent history of this school that we won anything(Clem-Final Four), we crucified him for it.
It's partially correct. See post #53 where it talks about poaching. Sure, Michigan an tOSU were probably paying their guys back then. But did any of those teams ever try to pay Darrel Thompson to leave here???

That's the new difference that doesn't get talked about.

This arg has gone both ways and there are valid sides to both. Yes, "it happened before, now it's just out in the open", is correct. But did the transferring happen at this rate?

I don't doubt that Jameis Winston probably had a pocket full of cash and a nice car to drive, but did anyone from a different school dare to make him a firm financial offer to transfer? I highly doubt it.

So while the helmet schools were always out recruiting us and paying people, I don't think they could poach players like Bucky as easily as they can now. And I think that's the real fear/complaint from people here, that we can go through all the effort to recruit and get a commitment from a game-changer like Darius Taylor, only to easily lose him a year later once he showed his skill. In the past a player like that would have stayed with us. In this day and age, even Tyrone Carter wouldn't have finished his career here.
Nailed it. The money programs pay for the best high school kids then try to sway the best players from other teams to transfer. Used to be able to hope their high school players busted or left early for the nfl and you could develop talent and find hidden gems to compete, that’s becoming more and more difficult to do. Almost need to just go super narrow with the recruiting net and target local talent for the vast majority of the roster and just hope they love it here.

PJ confirming the star freshman rb is gone at the end of the season.
I doubt he's the only one. If I were Walley, I'd transfer or go pro. Seems like Wyatt Gilmore was the smart one. I'd rather be committed to Oklahoma than MN at this point in time.

Going to make a cross continental sport reference here that some may not like due to preconceived notions. If we ( and most other football programs outside the blue bloods) are going to fall to a second tier where the top teams poach our best players, perhaps a transfer system could be implemented ala euro soccer where the team losing the play at least gets monetary compensation for developing and losing the player? Unfortunately that’s going to make us sellers rather than buyers but at least we get something back for it and attract talent who feel they can grow their career with us. We are not in a good spot in the big picture regardless for football

We've worn more games than Wisconsin the last 5 years. We've won 2 fewer games than Iowa the last 5 years. We've won more games than USC the last 5 years. We beat a top 5 Penn State team just a few years ago.

Will we ever be the class of the big ten? No, but I don't buy this idea that we are going to become an FCS level school just because a few new programs are joining the conference.
With 6 2024 Big Ten teams ranked in the top 10 and a few others ranked in the top 25, I am concerned about the Gophers' ability to compete in the new-look conference (even w/o factoring in NIL). With NIL, I am even more concerned... We're not alone. Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, and Rutgers should have similar concerns

Whatever was going on before in terms of payment is at minimum 10x worse now in terms of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer (a fair playing field is important in sports). I'd rather they actually enforce the rules they had instead of making it the wild west. But hey, if people want college ball to be minor league ball, that's fine. I'm just saying I'm not interested in it.

I will add, if it is going the route of turning into a full-fledged pro league, they should follow the model of other pro sports. Contracts, salary cap, medical coverage, maybe even a draft?
I don't entirely disagree with your thinking. I don't want NCAA to be NFL-light, I just think it's wrong to restrict someone's earning ability, so if the only way for the NCAA to survive is to artifically suppress earning power, maybe it shouldn't survive. We don't have enough data yet to say that this is 10x worse in terms of rich getting richer compared to when things were under the table, we just hear about it more. I support the idea of NIL, but I understand that as a Minnesota fan it may make things worse for me, and who knows, there may come a time where I lose interest in college sports as well.

Your point about the pro model has some flaws though. Pro sports have salary caps, but they are collectively bargained and voted on and agreed to by players. That seems like an uphill battle in NCAA that would require unionization and employment status for players. Who knows, maybe that will happen. Pro sports do not have caps on NIL though.

Keep in mind that just because some of us support the ability of players to make money, doesn't mean we aren't aware of potential consequences. In my eyes it unfortunately seems like a lose-lose situation.

In those 5 years we've still finished behind Iowa in the BTW standings 4 times and Wisconsin 3 times. And to compare our program in any way to USC, even before The Heisman Whisperer arrived there last year, is silly. They're a national brand, the bluest of the football blue bloods, despite the win totals of the last 5 years.
Of course I don't think we will ever be in the same stratosphere as USC over any extended period of time, my point is more so that things can be a bit cyclical, and I don't think we are doomed to suck forever just because our conference is getting tougher.

We're not alone. Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, and Rutgers should have similar concerns
Minnesota $199 million in athletic donations.

Iowa $477
Illinois $377
Indiana $351

We aren't even close to these programs. And at least Northwestern has the Ryan family.

There is still the new rule of one tranter that is supposed to get enforced going forward. There is still some leveling to take place. If we aren't getting the NIL $$, Fleck still has the right approach in how his has been filling holes with transfer "up" types. He's also doing really good locally, which are usually guys that won't transfer out.

Is there a list somewhere that ranks college teams NIL earnings from 1-150ish? I'd like to see where the gophers fall on that list. In terms of beating teams like Michigan, Ohio St, etc. PJ is right. In order to compete we need to boost those NIL numbers.

However, in order to compete with teams like Bowling Green, Northwestern, Illinois, Purdue, even Iowa, Maryland, and Wisconsin I'm sure we don't need much more. Where do we compare to South Dakota St, Fresno St, and Georgia Southern that all almost beat us in 2019? Miami of Ohio gave us a run in 2021...how does their NIL look?

While he isn't wrong he also should probably worry about beating the teams that look up at us, or at the very least, across at us in terms of NIL vs whining about the same ones that everyone else is.

Administration and Faculty would like to block that and not even let him have a craft and bake sale to raise funds.
This is such a tired, old argument. Sid is dead, let it go. The coach has to first build something worth investing in, and there are really only a handful of programs with NIL money now anyway. We are comparable to most, and never will keep up with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, USC, Alabama, Tennessee... you can count on two hands the programs that have a lot of NIL.

Let's be honest, unless this gets figured out it is the end of college football. People are not going to be interested in what will essentially become a pro league of 10 elite programs and another 10-15 that have a chance every now and then. People don't watch AAA baseball, the CBA, or second tier of anything. The NCAA and universities have to figure this out because right now, even though the Purdue, Minnesota, and Kentucky type programs really don't have a chance of winning an NCAA championship, they have rivalries and a chance to win the West in conference play. They then cheer for their conference teams moving forward. As the conferences get so big you are never competing for anything and dilute the meaning of a conference altogether, people will lose interest. Many already have...

This is such a tired, old argument. Sid is dead, let it go. The coach has to first build something worth investing in, and there are really only a handful of programs with NIL money now anyway. We are comparable to most, and never will keep up with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, USC, Alabama, Tennessee... you can count on two hands the programs that have a lot of NIL.

Let's be honest, unless this gets figured out it is the end of college football. People are not going to be interested in what will essentially become a pro league of 10 elite programs and another 10-15 that have a chance every now and then. People don't watch AAA baseball, the CBA, or second tier of anything. The NCAA and universities have to figure this out because right now, even though the Purdue, Minnesota, and Kentucky type programs really don't have a chance of winning an NCAA championship, they have rivalries and a chance to win the West in conference play. They then cheer for their conference teams moving forward. As the conferences get so big you are never competing for anything and dilute the meaning of a conference altogether, people will lose interest. Many already have...
It's so dumb that this was all done just for TV. The B1G/Pac12 could have said they will only negotiate as a tandem. The SEC/Big 12 could have done the same thing if it was all just about maximizing TV $$.

Top Bottom