Fleck: "I think we can be a really good football team next year."

Nobody knows. Look at Northwestern last year vs this year. tOSU had all they could handle today. Kudos to a great coaching staff. Hopefully ours squad can be the same. Time will tell.

I sure hope so because this year they pretty much sucked!
Pretty much clear cut 6-8 with Maryland and penn state in the big ten.

1) Ohio state
2-3) northwestern/Indiana
4) iowa
5) Wisconsin
6-7-8) Maryland/penn state/ Minnesota

Should be better next year than this year, based on who we are losing. We’re not going to lose a ton, and have a bunch of young guys on D that should massively benefit from a (hopefully) more standard offseason practice schedule. Biggest question marks? Will Durr and St Juste come back? If not, what does CB look like? Can LB take a big step and look more like 2019 unit? Can the young receivers perform? Jackson looked like he could be good, but not much after that, based on this years sample size.

I think he’s right!
I agree. I see a lot to be optimistic about. We had to replace a ton this year on defense and had little practice time and in season COVID issues to deal with. We have found a star in Carter at DT. We have some great young receivers to be excited about as well. Need Morgan to step up and play like last year and we need some secondary help/improvements, but overall, we will be better next year. No reason we can’t compete for the west title next year.

As far as next year, please tell me:
Who comes back?
Who leaves?
and do any of the recruits have an immediate impact?

Tell me that, and then I can form an opinion on what this team might look like next year.

(and please don't give me the routine about how all the young players will be better. every bleepin' team in the country says the same thing.)

He needs to be right. He's a great face for the program and he's improved the recruiting, but I have real questions about the coaching. There was a golden opportunity to end a very disappointing year on a high note and they didn't get it done. Starting next years conference schedule with Ohio State does them no favors. Need to win 7 of 8 after that.

Who comes back?
Who leaves?

Tell me that, and then I can form an opinion on what this team might look like next year.

(and please don't give me the routine about how all the young players will be better. every bleepin' team in the country says the same thing.)

Groundhog Day is a classic movie.

The Gophers will get better and better.

He needs to be right. He's a great face for the program and he's improved the recruiting, but I have real questions about the coaching. There was a golden opportunity to end a very disappointing year on a high note and they didn't get it done. Starting next years conference schedule with Ohio State does them no favors. Need to win 7 of 8 after that.
If gophers are 7-5 next year do you want a new coach?

At the moment I don't really care. I wanted them to be better in this "Wisconsin Championship Week", or however he phrases it..

Both lines should be improved even if Olson leaves, so yes the team should be better.

Who comes back?
Who leaves?

Settle down. Same speculation as any year end

Who comes back?

I don’t think we will know for a few weeks

Who leaves?

I don’t think we will know for a few weeks

I hope so in the secondary

I don’t know if the young player will be better than they were today but the gophers just held Wisconsin under 20 in regulation for the second time since 2000 and 5th time since 1990 after being the 130th best defense in the country going into Purdue game

What I don't understand is Fleck is an agressive coach early in games. Not afraid to go for it in 4th down or try a fake punt. Burns through timeouts with no concern for "later". Late in games, he totally flips the switch to ultra conservative.

Starting next years conference schedule with Ohio State does them no favors.
Hopefully we lose big. My understanding is we are supposed to root for the Buckeyes so they can get into the playoff.

Didn’t he say at the end of last year something like we weren’t going to be a really bad team anymore? A sub .500 record that probably had us avoid another loss to Northwestern to go basically 3-5 makes it hard for me to believe what he’s saying.

The players maybe better, but if we have the same oc who runs on 85% of first downs, it will be another challenging year.

Fleck can beat crap teams, but he has difficulty beating mid tier, eg, Iowa, WI and upper tier. I understand not beating upper tier, but our struggles with mid tier teams is frustrating.

The offense next year should take a big step up, Schlueter and Olson are expected to come back for their super senior years along with Faalele and Dunlap. Defense needs to find some more playmakers but next years team has alot of potential.

Didn’t he say at the end of last year something like we weren’t going to be a really bad team anymore? A sub .500 record that probably had us avoid another loss to Northwestern to go basically 3-5 makes it hard for me to believe what he’s saying.
Well 3-5 is only one game worse than the 4-4 that got Jerry kill ordained a saint in 2013

Top Bottom