Fleck happy with 2 ACC dline transfers

swingman

Reaction score
Grimm with a Fleck video....asked about the ACC dline transfers...Fleck said Pinckney (Clemson) very mature, hard worker, really talented, been tremendous in spring practices...said Martin (NCSU) incredible twitch, explosive, offers some position flexibility....both good fits...all other comments generic, team got better in 2020, TGIF is what is really important, team loves each other, lot of connectivity, joy to coach, lot of respectful competition, lot of depth, lot of experience

Last edited:

No, we will leave that for you.
01eOgrn.gif

Perhaps they would have avoided these guys and talked about some other part of the team if things weren't going well with these guys.

Like PJ said, it is normal coach speak to say you are young and inexperienced. To hope you get better from spring to summer to fall through until the end of the season.
Well, it is out of character for most any coach to tout his team this highly during spring football.
PJ is excited about his team in 2021! That's cool!
We should be good! He's done a nice job to have almost all his guys stay for another season
and then add experienced transfers on top of that. 10, 11, 12 game experienced offensive linemen is not likely to ever happen again as long he coaches! That is not the only position like that, either.

I'm always cautious praising transfer guys. There's always a reason for guys in the portal.

That's just me, though.

Yeah, cause Clemson has two 5-star DTs coming up and he already played 4 years there. We got a gift from the COVID-riddled season. I'll f-ing take it. And Martin likely isn't bad either.

We certainly got some thumpers out of the Transfer Portal! I'll take them. The Gopher just got bigger and deeper on both lines.

Dylan Wright is the right guy! We've got a stable of promising RBs behind Mo.

Definitely, we have a more mature Gophers squad.

I'm always cautious praising transfer guys. There's always a reason for guys in the portal.

That's just me, though.
Benjamin St. Juste - worked out pretty good
Chris Williamson - worked out pretty good
Micah Dew-Treadway - worked out pretty good

Fleck has done a great job with the transfers he has brought in. JC guys were always ones to be really cautious about because they were very hit and miss in terms of ability.

Like PJ said, it is normal coach speak to say you are young and inexperienced. To hope you get better from spring to summer to fall through until the end of the season.
Well, it is out of character for most any coach to tout his team this highly during spring football.
We should be good! He's done a nice job to have almost all his guys stay for another season
and then add experienced transfers on top of that. 10, 11, 12 game experienced offensive linemen is not likely to ever happen again as long he coaches! That is not the only position like that, either.

There is a very clear difference in the way Fleck talks about this team vs. previous years. You can tell he expects this to be a very good team and is excited about the prospects for 2021.

And it is easy to understand why he is excited as good teams almost always are really strong along the lines and we are as deep and experienced along both lines as I have ever seen at the U right now.

This Gopher team will pleasantly and sneakily surprise. I wish we were allowed to watch open practices.

Heres the thing: Fleck openly pumped the team in 2019 bc he knew he had an experienced team.

2020: PJ was very quiet publicly even though media was high on us. PJ knew the defense wasnt that good.

2021: he is publically pumping up the team. He knows!

Man, I always remember hearing about Melvin Holland, Isaiah Gentry, and Hunter Register. Pity none of them worked out.
At the Citrus Bowl: "Just cant wait to get those redshirts off those frosh WRs"

If they were that good they would have been playing...lol

Hopefully—similar to other times in Gopher history when coaches disregarded “coach-speak” and expressed high expectations that were met: Herb Brooks predicting a 1979 NCAA championship and Clem Haskins predicting a top 1997 Big Ten finish—not sure he said championship.

Man, I always remember hearing about Melvin Holland, Isaiah Gentry, and Hunter Register. Pity none of them worked out.
Those were some dark and scary years at the WR position. Lots of....a fair amount of....some....a little hype around the guys but somehow they just never seemed to find their way onto the field.

Hopefully—similar to other times in Gopher history when coaches disregarded “coach-speak” and expressed high expectations that were met: Herb Brooks predicting a 1979 NCAA championship and Clem Haskins predicting a top 1997 Big Ten finish—not sure he said championship.
Musselmen did the same in basketball too.

At the Citrus Bowl: "Just cant wait to get those redshirts off those frosh WRs"

If they were that good they would have been playing...lol
Definitely truth in your words but rules were different at that time. A lot of hesitancy to play guys a couple games. Either they started early or sat all year.

That's just me, though.
I get what you’re saying but you have to look at the reasons. Russell Wilson transferred. Cam Newton transferred. Both for very different reasons. Plenty of guys are successful transfers.

That's just me, though.
Lack of immediate or perceived future play time in some form or another is likely the reason most of the time. Wanting to be closer to home is probably number two. Running from trouble happens, but seems much less common, we’ve yet to see Fleck take this type of transfer unless there has been some well kept secrets.

Definitely truth in your words but rules were different at that time. A lot of hesitancy to play guys a couple games. Either they started early or sat all year.
Think the commentary he was going for was that the receivers we had during that time were hyped up by Kill about how good they were going to be and then it never materialized on the field.

WR is one of the positions where guys don't usually need multiple years to figure it out. If a kid can play he has a great chance of playing right away (unless stuck behind talented guys in front of him). We clearly had a need for receivers at that time, yet we had these guys that were supposedly going to be good but just couldn't find their way onto the field. As we are all well aware now, it was all talk with those guys as they were total busts as players.

Fleck has said he is always out recruiting the current players, with affinity towards good WRs in particular.

The Gophers are going to continually improve and build depth through the ebb and flow after each season if he is true to his word.

The pandemic has given him a gift with team depth better than it has been.

And, the classic coach opportunity to praise somebody and offer up excuses at the same time on how the team could be better if only for pesky circumstances holding us back.

Fleck has said he is always out recruiting the current players, with affinity towards good WRs in particular.

The Gophers are going to continually improve and build depth through the ebb and flow after each season if he is true to his word.

The pandemic has given him a gift with team depth better than it has been.
The big question to me is with the increased roster numbers and all the experienced guys getting another year, will the young guys get any playing time?
Will they be disillusioned? What will the following year look like? Back to youngest team in America is just over the horizon.

Last edited:

The big question to me is with the increased roster numbers and all the experienced guys getting another year, will the young guys get any playing time?
Will they be disillusioned? What will the following year look like? Back to youngest team in America is just over the horizon.
He has said there will plenty of opportunity for player rotations to keep them fresh. OTOH, the players have an extra year to grow and mature. Look at Boye Mafe. It seem like it took him a good two years before we saw his development coming to fruition.

One of the main reason that he is very excited about the transfers is that they come with maturity and experience. From what I hear, Pinckney is a great leader and mentor in practices.

Yup, we should be very solid this coming season!

Top Bottom