Fleck addresses the media on what happened at end of first half (video)

Fleck was told the clock would be stopped until the snap, but then allowed Colorado to start the clock, as was their right to do so. The refs should have informed PJ of the change, but didn’t.

I like that Fleck didn’t rant about it and didn’t throw the refs under the bus. Many coaches would have, but Fleck didn’t and earned some more respect from me.

Fleck was told the clock would be stopped until the snap, but then allowed Colorado to start the clock, as was their right to do so. The refs should have informed PJ of the change, but didn’t.

I like that Fleck didn’t rant about it and didn’t throw the refs under the bus. Many coaches would have, but Fleck didn’t and earned some more respect from me.

+o4

I do agree with Ryan Burns' point that someone, regardless if the clock should be stopped, should be tasked with keeping an eye on such things at getting to news across the headset.

I do agree with Ryan Burns' point that someone, regardless if the clock should be stopped, should be tasked with keeping an eye on such things at getting to news across the headset.

Fleck said as much during the press conference. He probably already has someone assigned to it.

Fleck said as much during the press conference. He probably already has someone assigned to it.
I think the catch is here is whomever is tasked with that also needs to be able to call a TO or ... make someone call the TO when they see the clock is going.

Not a lot of time there and now you've tasked that person with a strategic decision that might not always be an obvious choice.

Not wrong that someone should do that, but also not a simple setup / decision either.

Absolutely. There were literally thousands of Gopher fans in the stands who saw the clock running and were yelling, but of course were powerless to do anything about it. Somebody in the circle of trust (i.e., those with access to Fleck either on the headset or the field) has to be able to get him that message. It brought back the same helpless feeling I had watching the clock run during Tracy Claeys Michigan game.

I think the catch is here is whomever is tasked with that also needs to be able to call a TO or ... make someone call the TO when they see the clock is going.

Not a lot of time there and now you've tasked that person with a strategic decision that might not always be an obvious choice.

Not wrong that someone should do that, but also not a simple setup / decision either.
Pretty sure only the head coach can call timeout from the sideline so it would have to be a communication with him directly. The tough part is there is already so much chaos in those end of quarter/end of game situations that you can see where something like this can happen.

Where the clocks are located in the stadium plays into it as well. My guess is that there was not a game clock in Tanner's line of sight. If there had been he may have noticed time running down and acted differently. Chances are he probably could only see a play clock.

Situations like these are going to very rare. So they need to plan for it potentially happening again but also don't need to go overboard obsessing about it because in all likelihood this sequence of events is fairly unlikely to happen again.

Absolutely. There were literally thousands of Gopher fans in the stands who saw the clock running and were yelling, but of course were powerless to do anything about it. Somebody in the circle of trust (i.e., those with access to Fleck either on the headset or the field) has to be able to get him that message. It brought back the same helpless feeling I had watching the clock run during Tracy Claeys Michigan game.
at least we got two plays off in that scenario . . . 😔

I'm glad that happened early in the season, vs a non-conference opponent, and in a situation that didn't matter in the end. A good learning experience in that instance. I would hate to see that happen vs a rival.

Pretty sure only the head coach can call timeout from the sideline so it would have to be a communication with him directly. The tough part is there is already so much chaos in those end of quarter/end of game situations that you can see where something like this can happen.

Where the clocks are located in the stadium plays into it as well. My guess is that there was not a game clock in Tanner's line of sight. If there had been he may have noticed time running down and acted differently. Chances are he probably could only see a play clock.

Situations like these are going to very rare. So they need to plan for it potentially happening again but also don't need to go overboard obsessing about it because in all likelihood this sequence of events is fairly unlikely to happen again.
I've seen other coaches call timeouts.

I've seen other coaches call timeouts.
That's a good question. Do officials acknowledge the TO if it's not the head coach? I don't know answer. I too was under the impression that only the head coach, or player on the field, could call one. I may well be wrong. Rules experts?

Top Bottom