Five years ago today, P.J. Fleck was named Gophers football head coach! What is your favorite football memory since then?!

Beginning of Penn State game. TCF Bank Stadium was insane, truly felt like Gopher football was back

The Outback Bowl is such a great memory. We had a big group over for the game, just a few short hours after hosting a new years eve gathering where we were up til 2. Bloody Marys and chicken wings. It was a great day.

Then COVID hit, and there hasn't been anything like that at our house since.

The Gopher Instagram post saying "Thanks for five elite years" this morning got me lol. Thought that PJ had taken another job. Thank you for putting a more obvious title on this thread.

2019, and this last year's Axe game for me were the highlights.

Also, looking at that pic...PJ is aging fast. No time for sleep when you're coaching D1 ball and out 'crootin', promotin', and so and and so forth.

The only Gopher game I have been to in years was the Penn State game. My kids wanted to go and were sure we would win. I didn't think we would, and so they had to talk me into it. It was the most fun I have had at a game ever. It will always be a great memory I have with my two boys. BTW doesn't PJ look much younger in the photo to start this thread.

I wouldn't say "favorite" but the most "pivotal" for me was 2018, responding to getting drummed in Champaign and getting the Def Coordinator canned prior to playing Purdue at the Bank.

I remember being as un-enthused as I have ever been before heading to the game, on chilly dreary day. Felt like a chore. Gophers responded by steamrolling the Boilers, 41-10 holding them to an "oh by the way" late TD. Cashman's strip-sack and score was awesome. Defense did a 180, and there was light at the end of the tunnel.

Favorite actually might be the Off-Line just pounding Nebraska in 2019.

Penn State - Not only the last 5 years, but for me the best moment in the last 40 years. I was on the field afterwards - rare moments of true euphoria can be few and far between, my wife has rarely seen me that happy in 30 years of marriage.

I enjoyed 3rd and 29 from our own 6 yard line against Georgia Southern with the whole crowd around me wanting to fire the coach and then continuing on to have the best season since 1970

for real though…the top 10
1) Georgia tech bowl game experience. Got to go last minute with some great people: not the football highlight but the football was great. Great experience
2) Penn state…I mean how could it not be
3) wisconsin…it has been a while
4) Nebraska at home with Demry Croft running for 600 yards
5) Purdue game where the fire alarms went off
6) 2019 Nebraska game is when I knew we had arrived
7) 2021 Nebraska game (can you tell I have Nebraska friends)
8) watching auburn game on TV (only game on this list I wasn’t at in person)
9) Iowa game 2019 and 2021 - went down for it…lost both still a fun experience
10) Georgia southern 3rd and 29

Last edited:

It was Penn State for me. My wife and I were on a weekend get away and were at roundhouse brewery. She is not a football fan and she was having a great time watching the game.

This is an easy one for me. Penn State. I had my 14-year-old daughter with me at the game. As soon as the game sealing interception was made, I told her "We are rushing the field. It's going to be insane. Don't let go of me." I still get misty just thinking about it. That is a memory I will remember until the day I die. I suspect she will as well.

I really want to say the 2021 Wisconsin game but the Penn State game is by far the greatest sports event I have ever been to. I've never been to a Gopher game where every person in the crowd was 100% into the game. I still watch highlights every now and then and get goosebumps. The playmakers made plays - Bateman and Johnson!

Penn State - Not only the last 5 years, but for me the best moment in the last 40 years. I was on the field afterwards - rare moments of true euphoria can be few and far between, my wife has rarely seen me that happy in 30 years of marriage.
Who TF picked the background music? Awful.

Competing every week of the season. Over the last three years there have been 10 losses and only 4 are by double digits. Defense has been my favorite improvement.

23-10 over the last 3 seasons is excellent.

Allow me to speculate. Say 2020 would have been a normal season and the Gophers had gone 6-6. That's nearly a 9 win average over the last 3 seasons.

1. Penn State
2. Auburn
3. Wisconsin 2022
4. Nebraska 2019
5. Wisconsin 2018
6. Nebraska 2022

I enjoyed 3rd and 29 from our own 6 yard line against Georgia Southern with the whole crowd around me wanting to fire the coach and then continuing on to have the best season since 1970

for real though…the top 10
1) Georgia tech bowl game experience. Got to go last minute with some great people: not the football highlight but the football was great. Great experience
2) Penn state…I mean how could it not be
3) wisconsin…it has been a while
4) Nebraska at home with Demry Croft running for 600 yards
5) Purdue game where the fire alarms went off
6) 2019 Nebraska game is when I knew we had arrived
7) 2021 Nebraska game (can you tell I have Nebraska friends)
8) watching auburn game on TV (only game on this list I wasn’t at in person)
9) Iowa game 2019 and 2021 - went down for it…lost both still a fun experience
10) Georgia southern 3rd and 29

The whole Georgia Southern thing was surreal, when you think about how that season played out. Specifically for 3rd and 29, do I remember it correctly that they picked up 20 yds to give them a respectable chance at converting on 4th down?

The friend I was with that game always remembers that with the sacks and penalties, they offense actually had to pick up more than 110 yds to get that go ahead score.

The whole Georgia Southern thing was surreal, when you think about how that season played out. Specifically for 3rd and 29, do I remember it correctly that they picked up 20 yds to give them a respectable chance at converting on 4th down?

The friend I was with that game always remembers that with the sacks and penalties, they offense actually had to pick up more than 110 yds to get that go ahead score.
Yeah it was like 4th and 7 or so if I remember correctly.
4th and 7 without the 3rd and 29 would be a pretty amazing memory

Ive been lucky enough to meet Coach Fleck a few times since he has been head coach.

My favorite memory is the first time I met him. It was his first signing day just after he was named head coach. Right after Dan Barriero got done interviewing him I walked up to the stage and politely asked coach if I could take my picture with him. He said yes.

"Make it quick I got places I got to be".

A brand new coach on his first national signing day. He had every right in the world to say no me but he was cool with it. Made me a big fan.

1. 2019 vs Penn State - Best sporting event I've attended. Unreal atmosphere.
2. 2018 vs Wisconsin - Watched this at home. Finally beat the stinking Badgers.
3. 2021 vs Wisconsin - First home win over Badgers in 18 years
4. 2019 vs Auburn - Yes...I realize this game was technically in 2020
5. 2018 vs GTech - I was so happy from beating the Badgers that I booked passage to Detroit. Was a fun trip.
6. 2019 vs Fresno - The 4th down throw and catch by CAB was unreal.

Top Bottom