Five Game Participation Stats

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
Through five games, there are a few surprises for me on game participation. Rashad Cheney has played in only 2 games, which I knew. But Trill Carter is listed as having played in only 2 games, as well. Did not realize that. Ky Thomas has appeared in only 1 game, which is a mystery to me. I wonder why, as we try to replace Mo's production, Ky can't seem to get onto the field. Another surprise is Cam Wiley, who has appeared in only 2 games. Understand that Irving has passed him as a RB, but for someone who Fleck talked up so much, it is strange to see him drop off entirely. Maybe injured ... maybe marginalized? No idea. Several names we don't hear much, like Lucas Finnessey, have participated in all 5 games, presumably as important cogs on special teams. As for true freshman, Walley has played all 5, and Irving and Boyd have been in 4 games so far. Redshirt Frosh Burns and Joyner have now each gotten their first game. To see the game participation stats, go to this link and click on "Miscellaneous." https://gophersports.com/sports/football/stats/2021

The Gophers struggled to put the best product out on the field this season with even seasoned veterans getting benched once in a while.

There is no doubt that the offense struggled after the critical season-ending injury to Mo Ibrahim. Altman-Bell and Wright are often knicked.

The team's synchronicity became inconsistent. The new players were not syncing fast enough.

What the BGSU loss exposed when the Gopher Offense was faltering was the need for a reliable Defense.

PJ Fleck touted a vaunted passing game to balance a good running game behind a massive Offensive Line.

I was wondering what is it about Iowa that they are consistent contenders every season. Their secret sauce is they are invested heavily in their defense year after year even when their offense struggled.

PJ fleck is modeling the Offensive Line after Wisconsin's. I think PJ Fleck better start paying close attention to developing a strong GOPHER DEFENSE. They have made headways to improving the Defense. It is not at the level of Iowa yet.

"Defense win championships." - Bear Bryant

Recruiting is everything. You have to be smart about acquiring the talent that it takes to address all facets of the game with the scholarships that are available.

Last edited:

The Gophers struggled to put the best product out on the field this season with even seasoned veterans getting benched once in a while.

There is no doubt that the offense struggled after the critical season-ending injury to Mo Ibrahim. Altman-Bell and Wright are often knicked.

The team's synchronicity became inconsistent. The new players were not syncing fast enough.

What the BGSU loss exposed when the Gopher Offense was faltering was the need for a reliable Defense.

PJ Fleck touted a vaunted passing game to balance a good running game behind a massive Offensive Line.

I was wondering what is it about Iowa that they are consistent contenders every season. Their secret sauce is they are invested heavily in their defense year after year even when their offense struggled.

PJ fleck is modeling the Offensive Line after Wisconsin's. I think PJ Fleck better start paying close attention to developing a strong GOPHER DEFENSE. They have made headways to improving the Defense. It is not at the level of Iowa yet.

"Defense win championships." - Bear Bryant
Are you high? The defense is the only reason the bowling green game was close. BGSU scored 14. 7 we’re on a very short field. The defense is far and away better than the offense through 4 games. Aside from some big plays against tOSU, the defense has been fairly dominant.

Are you high? The defense is the only reason the bowling green game was close. BGSU scored 14. 7 we’re on a very short field. The defense is far and away better than the offense through 4 games. Aside from some big plays against tOSU, the defense has been fairly dominant.
I agree that was not their fault. Mental lapses by the coaches gave the game away. The Defense got tired. The Offense was not helping. The Defense is improving, but they need to be next level to win championships.

I agree that was not their fault. Mental lapses by the coaches gave the game away. The Defense got tired. The Offense was not helping. The Defense is improving, but they need to be next level to win championships.
I think the offense really lags the defense right now. That is the problem. It isn’t complimentary football.

Through five games, there are a few surprises for me on game participation. Rashad Cheney has played in only 2 games, which I knew. But Trill Carter is listed as having played in only 2 games, as well. Did not realize that. Ky Thomas has appeared in only 1 game, which is a mystery to me. I wonder why, as we try to replace Mo's production, Ky can't seem to get onto the field. Another surprise is Cam Wiley, who has appeared in only 2 games. Understand that Irving has passed him as a RB, but for someone who Fleck talked up so much, it is strange to see him drop off entirely. Maybe injured ... maybe marginalized? No idea. Several names we don't hear much, like Lucas Finnessey, have participated in all 5 games, presumably as important cogs on special teams. As for true freshman, Walley has played all 5, and Irving and Boyd have been in 4 games so far. Redshirt Frosh Burns and Joyner have now each gotten their first game. To see the game participation stats, go to this link and click on "Miscellaneous." https://gophersports.com/sports/football/stats/2021
Maybe the headphones photos were more telling than we realized at the time, possible that he is not really about the program? I wonder if Cam hits the portal this off season?

Carter has started every game, he changed his name to Trill recently.

Maybe the headphones photos were more telling than we realized at the time, possible that he is not really about the program? I wonder if Cam hits the portal this off season?
What are these headphone photos you are talking about?

What are these headphone photos you are talking about?
Gopher FB twitter posted some photos of a RB BBQ event over the summer. In the photos Wiley looked less than engaged and was the only one wearing headphones. It was discussed on this site a bit at the time.

Top Bottom