Fitch is the worst OC I've ever seen

Reaction score
Can't call a play in time to actually snap the ball

Run the fullback up the gut twice on 3rd and 4th down. Someone should tell him that running the fullback actually removes a blocker from the play.

Fade pass to a 5'10" WR.

The guy is pure genius.

Too bad Maturi isn't going to eat his salary, so we'll be stuck with him next year no matter what. Brewster doesn't have the courage to fire him anyway. I'd tell him to fire Fitch or they are both gone.

I've seen plenty of really bad teams and offenses by Fitch takes the cake for the worst OC I've ever seen.

Fisch will be the end of Brewsters job. His playcalling sucks. His plays are too complex and/or his coaching of these plays sucks. Fisch needs to be fired, but since he will not be -- Brewster will be fired after next year. A new OC wouldn't save Brewster at this point. He doesn't have enough time to rebuild the offense again.

Can't call a play in time to actually snap the ball

Run the fullback up the gut twice on 3rd and 4th down. Someone should tell him that running the fullback actually removes a blocker from the play.

Fade pass to a 5'10" WR.

The guy is pure genius.

Too bad Maturi isn't going to eat his salary, so we'll be stuck with him next year no matter what. Brewster doesn't have the courage to fire him anyway. I'd tell him to fire Fitch or they are both gone.

I've seen plenty of really bad teams and offenses by Fitch takes the cake for the worst OC I've ever seen.

Come on man, I agree with you here, but at least get Fisch's name right.

I agree. I'll be the OC next year for free.

Then you can be firesconniegopher!

Is it all coaching fault on this one, some but not all. Dropped passes, missed routes, and offensive line mistakes all contributed to the offensive problems. Griese was saying he thought the Gophers offensive line needs to lose some weight. I don't think that is the problem. They just lack athletic ability. More experience isn't going to counter the lack of athleticism. There was a sack where the Iowa definsive line crossed and one of them came in clean for a sack. The offensive guard just didn't have the ability to adjust and turn and pick up the defensive player crossing to the middle. Nothing is going to change that. You can coach all you want and that type of thing is going to continue to happen.

I also don't think they have the quickness to drive off the ball. The Iowa defensive line pushed them back on all short yardage situations. Simple physics, accelaration plays as big a part as mass.

how could anyone respect a 5'5 110 pound guy trying to call madden type plays in college.

Fisch will be the end of Brewsters job. His playcalling sucks. His plays are too complex and/or his coaching of these plays sucks. Fisch needs to be fired, but since he will not be -- Brewster will be fired after next year. A new OC wouldn't save Brewster at this point. He doesn't have enough time to rebuild the offense again.

It's like he drew up the X's and O's, but after 12 games, he hasn't gotten the players to be able to understand them, the plays he called didn't make sense, and doesn't seem to understand what the players are actually capable of.

Brewster made a major change when he went with the spread, about as major a change as possible, figuring he could recruit into it. To not only fire the OC, but to make another radical switch, his hole was already deep enough, it just dug it deeper.

Abandoning a new offense so quickly just seems like a lack of vision. There's a dilemma: do we stay with the offense next year, hoping we can get it to work, or do we make another radical change. With Gray as QB next year (assuming Weber doesn't step it up and turn it around), perhaps adding some option to the mix might help.

I really believe that he has put too many elements into the offense. Too many sets. Too many reads. A lot of penalties and mistakes this year seem to have sprung from the complexity of the offense. Part of it is execution, but this isn't the pros where players watch film all week long so Fisch probably needs to throttle it back a bit.

I really believe that he has put too many elements into the offense. Too many sets. Too many reads. A lot of penalties and mistakes this year seem to have sprung from the complexity of the offense. Part of it is execution, but this isn't the pros where players watch film all week long so Fisch probably needs to throttle it back a bit.

Good point, there's a reason they call this a pro-style offense. These aren't NFL players, and it's not a full time job for the players.

Then there were the trick plays where even if they worked, it wasn't going to go far.

I wonder if Tommy Tuberville applied to coach the U's tennis program yet.

Why hire from the NFL?

Fisch is an example. No teaching fundamentals that kids out of high school still need. X's and O's. These are OK in the NFL where your players are the best from the colleges.

Brewster has hired too many coaches from the NFL with no experience. It just doesnt work.

At the beginning of the year most everyone was negative on our new defensive C who has had a ton of college experience.

Now the defense is the only good part of our team.

I guess we are stuck for another year. More improvement, even more than from the players themselves, will be from the offensive coaching staff. Can we wait? I guess we will have to.

Well Brewster was right about one thing . . . .It was a killer shot hire . . . . and now Brew is DEAD!

Fisch is not solely to blame it’s the whole team philosophy. Brewster has to pick a philosophy on Offense and Defense then recruit and coach to it. In my opinion the Pro Style offenses only work if you have great receivers, a consistent running game and a QB that can check down if the play is not there. The best College offenses in history have been the I-formation Veer option offenses (Nebraska, Oklahoma).

I played for the Gophs under Salem and Holtz. Holtz took a Run and Shoot Offense and turned it into a very good Veer option offense with a QB that could run and offensive linemen that were athletic and could “crab block” and cut off backside pursuit, instead of “belly bumping” athletic defensive linemen. The Veer forces a defense to play on 11 on 11 and it gives the offense options on each play. Gray, could be a good Veer QB but the O-line would have to trim down or they could move some D-linemen to O-line.

Top Bottom