Fisch leaving

DuluthGopher

Reaction score
Ok for the sake of argument I am just wondering what everyone's opinion is if, hypothetically speaking of course, Fisch is to leave the program.

Would you rather go for a guy who is currently in the pro's or a guy that has always been a college guy. Both guys have their positives and negatives.

A coach who is in the pro's might be able to help lure in top talent because he can tell kids he knows how to coach them to be professionals but might be like Fisch in the sense that he might make things too complicated for college kids to get a good grasp of.

A lifetime college coach might be willing to keep things simple yet exciting to watch. I think he also might have a better sense of how to best utilize Gray.

I first off just want to say that I hope Fisch stays because I just feel sorry for all the kids who have been there that have to learn yet another system. And yes, I would hope that we could get a guy who has both, ties to the pro's and already knows how to run a college offense. Just wondering what all your thoughts are. Also just trying to waste time until signing day.

Not nice to fool with mother nature. Or gopher fans.

Personally I prefer x's and o's guys who know the college game inside and out. But we know that's not how Brew rolls. He's all about recruiting and will try to nab the OC he thinks he can best sell, and who he thinks can help build a great roster that can win, first and foremost. So really, we're not likely to be all that happy if Fisch does leave.

But I think it's a bit unlikely that Fisch is leaving. He makes too much and it doesn't sound like anyone is really trying to get him as a OC at that level. Who's going to pay him what he makes now if he's not an OC?

Chris Meidt

Head Coach at Saint Oalf and went to the Redskins. If Fisch goes, give him a call. He is a Carslon School Grad and played QB at Bethel.

1) You don't go the DIII route
2) If you go the DIII route, at least hire the best guy. Caruso at St. Thomas is much better as a hire than the St. Olaf guy. He has experience as a OC at NDSU and USD where his teams had solid offenses. I know from experience he is an energetic and great recruiter.

Once again, you go get someone great (not from DIII) and if you get stuck going DIII...at least hire the best DIII guy.

I hope this doesn't come across as rude, but can we be a little more careful with thread titles? A thread titled "Fisch leaving" sure makes it sound like information in the original post will be breaking news that Jedd Fisch is leaving.

I generally like the idea of an NFL guy, but only if the team is already established as a success or the head coach is in his first year or two. I don't think we can go with an NFL guy again because the transition to the college game is significant. The NFL guy must figure out what type of plays a college team can physically make (can the QB throw a 15 yard out? can the line block for a 5 step drop? can the TE get up the seam? etc,etc) and also how much material the team can mentally absorb. I don't think we have a year to let an NFL coach get acquainted with the college game.

1) You don't go the DIII route
2) If you go the DIII route, at least hire the best guy. Caruso at St. Thomas is much better as a hire than the St. Olaf guy. He has experience as a OC at NDSU and USD where his teams had solid offenses. I know from experience he is an energetic and great recruiter.

Once again, you go get someone great (not from DIII) and if you get stuck going DIII...at least hire the best DIII guy.

I agree with you for the most part on not hiring a D3 guy, but IF Fisch left and you had to make a hire with local ties and Pro Style Offense experience, Chris Meidt wouldn't be a bad idea. I also agree that Caruso is a good coach, but Meidt was a head coach for 6 years. Here is his bio from the Redskins page.

Chris Meidt joined the Redskins as an offensive coaching assistant in 2008, and was instrumental in the continued development of quarterback Jason Campbell.

Under Meidt and head coach Jim Zorn, Campbell completed 62.3 percent of his passes for 3,245 yards and 13 touchdowns and a quarterback rating of 84.3, all career highs. Campbell’s six interceptions also ranked him first in the NFL in interception percentage (1.2 percent).

Prior to coming to the Redskins, Meidt spent the previous six seasons as the head football coach at St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota, where he laid the foundation for a championship program.

From 2005-07, Meidt complied a 40-20 record and led the Oles to three straight eight-win seasons for the first time since 1969-71. In 2007, Meidt’s offense ranked third in the nation in points per game (49.2).

Meidt came to the St. Olaf football program following a successful tenure at Bethel University in St. Paul, where he served as offensive coordinator from 1995-2001.

Meidt helped lead Bethel to consecutive MIAC crowns in 2000 and 2001.

The American Football Coaches Association named Meidt, who coached five first team All-Americans at Bethel, the 2001 National Assistant Coach of the Year.

He served as an offensive coordinator at Columbia Heights from 1990-1993 and at Becker in 1993 and 1994.

A 1988 graduate of Minnesota High School in Minnesota, Meidt played quarterback for his father, Gerhard Meidt, a Minnesota Hall of Fame head coach. He quarterbacked the Vikings to the state championship in 1986 and 1987.

Meidt was named the Associated Press Minnesota Player of the Year in 1987. He was honored as a two-time All-State quarterback and three-time All-Region quarterback. Meidt set national passing records for career attempts (1,122), completions (646) and touchdown passes (101).

Meidt received a bachelor’s degree in mathematics from Bethel University in 1992 and an MBA from the Carlson School of Management at the University of Minnesota in 1996.

He does have a decent resume, but other than his short stint in the pros, what on that list would impress a recruit? He basically has very little recruiting experience, since recruiting at the DIII level is essentially helping kids who are already interested in the school want to play there. It's not like he's going out to Florida to visit a kid and get him to come look at a school he's never thought about going to.

his stint in Washington was short lived and Jason Campbell isn't necesarilly someone you can hang your hat on.

If we have to get a new OC, I say go for someone who's proven they can coach at a DI level.

Head Coach at Saint Oalf and went to the Redskins. If Fisch goes, give him a call. He is a Carslon School Grad and played QB at Bethel.

I agree! He even wants to be here, so I have heard. Family is all from Minnesota. I would actually take him as our HC.

I dont think it is fair to call him a D3 coach when his last job was in the NFL.

He does have a decent resume, but other than his short stint in the pros, what on that list would impress a recruit? He basically has very little recruiting experience, since recruiting at the DIII level is essentially helping kids who are already interested in the school want to play there. It's not like he's going out to Florida to visit a kid and get him to come look at a school he's never thought about going to.

You are wrong. Meidt went to Florida to get a lot of players. One WR from their team, Horace Gant, (not Horace Grant with the RecSpecs) spent time in a couple of NFL camps before getting cut. The Florida players were what let a team like the Oles compete with the Johnnies and the Royals. I only know this because I lived Northfield and went to a few games for fun.

Can we stop coaching suggestions based on where people were born/raised?

You are wrong. Meidt went to Florida to get a lot of players. One WR from their team, Horace Gant, (not Horace Grant with the RecSpecs) spent time in a couple of NFL camps before getting cut.

I stand corrected and actually remember him very well, as he single handedly led a big comeback against my college's team.

his stint in Washington was short lived and Jason Campbell isn't necesarilly someone you can hang your hat on.

If we have to get a new OC, I say go for someone who's proven they can coach at a DI level.

He seems to have more relevant experience than Fisch did.

A 1988 graduate of Minnesota High School in Minnesota, Meidt played quarterback for his father, Gerhard Meidt, a Minnesota Hall of Fame head coach. He quarterbacked the Vikings to the state championship in 1986 and 1987.

QUOTE]

Where the heck is Minnesota High School???:eek:

QUOTE]

Where the heck is Minnesota High School???:eek:

Perhaps that should say Minneota? My high school (Bertha-Hewitt) lost to them in the state Quarterfinals in both 1986 and 1987 so that would make sense.

Top Bottom