Fisch Gone Yet?

Attention Those in charge!

If Fish leaves, Mitch Browning is out there looking to be an OC. Bury the hatchet and hire him. He and his wife still live here and he would instantly improve our offense. No need get get all fancy and creative, go with a proven coach. I believe he and Tim Davis would get along well.

Get the old Texas Tech coach as are OC!!!

If Fisch does leave, maybe Brew will hire Chris Meidt. The former head coach at St. Olaf and was the QB coach for Zorn and the Redskins!

I'd suggest hiring Chris Meidt as head coach. We would

be much better off than in the current joke of a situation.

If there were an ounce of truth to the rumor that Shanahan wants to rehire Jedd Fisch to his staff, would not that be a ringing endorsement that we should KEEP Fisch as our OC? If he is good enough for Mike Shanahan to want twice, he should be good enough for us.

yea

Hire another flunky who never held the position before....enough experimenting already!

If there were an ounce of truth to the rumor that Shanahan wants to rehire Jedd Fisch to his staff, would not that be a ringing endorsement that we should KEEP Fisch as our OC? If he is good enough for Mike Shanahan to want twice, he should be good enough for us.

Difference between being a receiver coach versus a coordinator.

Difference between being a receiver coach versus a coordinator.

Not much difference. Don't you think all the offensive coaches are in meetings together and making sure they are all on the same page for game planning? You think the skill position coaches twiddle their thumbs all week. Any position Coach in the NFL is a darn good coach or they would not have made it to the NFL coaching ranks. The OC might be making the calls on gameday but all the offensive staff are in on game planning during the week

Yeah, but they aren't making the calls or designing the offense as a whole. I agree with GopherGod.

they aren't designing the offense as a whole but they are in the planning sessions learning from supposedly the best of the best in NFL OC's. I am saying that NFL position coaches are no dummies as some imply. Give Fisch another season to dumb down his game plan to College level after being used to working with NFL players and give the players one more season to learn and get comfortable in the offense before saying Fisch is terrible. Supposedly Withers was a horrible DC and we see what he was able to do at North Carolina. It takes NFL coaches some time to adjust to the college game.

Also I think that Fisch wants to be a head coach at some point. If so, proving himself as an O-coordinator will get him there much more quickly than as a position coach. No one else in this world is gonna Mike Tice themselves ever again

Also I think that Fisch wants to be a head coach at some point. If so, proving himself as an O-coordinator will get him there much more quickly than as a position coach. No one else in this world is gonna Mike Tice themselves ever again

True, but does he want to be a NFL head coach because the majority of his career has been in the NFL and he may be more comfortable as a NFL guy. If he wants to be an NFL head coach then his best bet would be to go back to the NFL as they don't often hire head coaches directly from the college ranks.

Nope, agree with GopherGod.

Hire another flunky who never held the position before....enough experimenting already!

If you were referencing Chris Meidt as the flunky, he was the head coach and he called the plays! Now add his NFL coaching experience, he would be a good fit as the O-coordinator. He is very smart and understands a pro style offense and he is a MN native. Local recruiting ties also!

they aren't designing the offense as a whole but they are in the planning sessions learning from supposedly the best of the best in NFL OC's. I am saying that NFL position coaches are no dummies as some imply. Give Fisch another season to dumb down his game plan to College level after being used to working with NFL players and give the players one more season to learn and get comfortable in the offense before saying Fisch is terrible. Supposedly Withers was a horrible DC and we see what he was able to do at North Carolina. It takes NFL coaches some time to adjust to the college game.

You can x and o on a chalkboard. A great coach also teaches their position well. Do you really believe that Brandon Marshall learned a bunch from Jed Fisch?

A Few Seconds of Panic: A 5-Foot-8, 170-Pound, 43-Year-Old Sportswriter Plays in the NFL (Hardcover)
~ Stefan Fatsis

http://www.amazon.com/Few-Seconds-Panic-43-Year-Old-Sportswriter/dp/1594201781

Book is pretty cheap, read some of the quotes from Bronco TE's on Brew, you might be amazed.

If you were referencing Chris Meidt as the flunky, he was the head coach and he called the plays! Now add his NFL coaching experience, he would be a good fit as the O-coordinator. He is very smart and understands a pro style offense and he is a MN native. Local recruiting ties also!

Go Minneota Vikings!!! Little known fact about Chris Meidt is that he at one time held the national high school record in a career for touchdown passes thrown.

I would back up the Chris Meidt hire. He would be a great OC or Head Coach.

If Meidt would be a candidate, then Glen Caruso (St. Thomas coach) ought to be considered as well (should the job open).

Book is pretty cheap, read some of the quotes from Bronco TE's on Brew, you might be amazed.

I do not feel like buying that book. How about some cliff notes?

Meidt is an interesting candidate to do something somewhere and he won't be out of work for long.

I'm curious to see if Fisch moves. The Cutler connection is an interesting one, but I don't know if being an NFL QB coach and, in the case of Cutler, confessor/comforter/shrink, is considered a promotion. Fisch is still young and if his goal is to work in the NFL, I would guess he would leave if given the chance.

I read that Browning was going to be interviewed by Kelly at Notre Dame to coach the offensive line, but I don't know how that will turn out. He'd be a solid choice to return if bridges weren't burned. It goes back to my original displeasure with going to the spread in the first place, as I don't think the spread is a complete offense.

To me, outside of Florida, there isn't a spead team that is of truly national championship caliber. Most teams have incorporated elements of the spread, but it still boils down to knocking people over and I wish Brewster had gone that way in the first place.

Most coaches can be successful with quality players who execute the playbook and game plan. There are no secrets out there with today's technology. NFL teams all have a book on each other and the same to a lesser degree with CFB. Fisch has been involved in NFL long enough to know what is going on. Same with Brewster.

Like everyone else, CFB coaches need experience and time to make it all work and must learn on the job. And recruit enough quality players, all take time.

It seems I'm in the minority here, but I actually like the Gophers scheme under Fisch. I had issues with a couple of play calls during the year (the naked bootleg on 2nd down when the Gophers were on the six inch line vs Wisconsin or Cal(?); calling for the tight-end middle screen two plays in a row (I still can't get over that)); and other miscellaneous instances.

I too believe it bottles down to players and the bottom line is our offensive line was for the most part ineffective in the run game (better against a terrible Iowa State defense), and Weber was nothing more than atrocious for the majority of the year. But there again, I imagine Fisch has some say in running him back out there time and time again...

Anyway, I like the scheme, and wish we could have some consistency and stability in the coaching staff, so my hope is that he's around as long as Brew is (if Brew goes, then it doesn't matter).

I liked Fisch...I think the execution is the problem & a lot of times that fell directly on Weber making bad decisions and the O-Line doing sh*tty jobs of blocking or protecting.......

Interesting thread, because I don't think he will be back with all of the NFL movement and the pressure on Brewster.

Agree Meidt would be an interesting hire, local guy would be nice for recruiting.

Caruso has done a great job as a head coach and rebuilding that program, but what qualifies him to be an OC?

Is there anyone on staff that Brew would look to hire, might keep some consistency that way, at least the guy knows the system?

How about one of these D1 head coaches that are being let go recently?

I wouldn't mind Mitch Browning (would never happen), Meidt, or Bob Nielson (UMD Coach)

Top Bottom