Fire Tubby?

It's obvious MaroonGopher selected the thread subject to attract readers to the thread. The first thing he/she says is "No" to the question.

I do think there are fair questions being asked. My thought is I hope the Tubby era is a transitional period. Monson had to take us through the restriction period. Tubby is taking our program from the bottom to noticable. I think Tubby is great for recruiting, but is very lacking in the X's and O's along with his platoon substitution tactics (which drive me insane).

I would be surprised if Tubby is still the coach by 2015. If he can continue to get all MN high schoolers, build a practice facility, and consistantly get to the tourney, I think we'll be in a nice place for a 'complete package' coach that will not only get good recruits, but execute strategically on the floor.

VC - I'm no great basketball mind - But it sounds like you're saying he's setting the table for Flip? :)

No. But think about it...he has taken a below average college basketball program and elevated it to just ok. There has been constant player defections and few REGULAR SEASON wins against elite conference teams. Recruiting has improved but Tubby has missed on some players too. His substitution pattern seems to frustrate fans and players alike. He has also taken a very talented squad this season and made them look quite pedestrian. Who is going to be the go to guy next season? Who is going to run the point? Are the Gophers even going to finish .500 in league play this season? This performance versus IND in difficult to swallow.

If only having 3 losses is just ok to you then why don't you just go back to the badger board. No person in their right mind would even have thought of this to start with.

It's obvious MaroonGopher selected the thread subject to attract readers to the thread. The first thing he/she says is "No" to the question.

I do think there are fair questions being asked. My thought is I hope the Tubby era is a transitional period. Monson had to take us through the restriction period. Tubby is taking our program from the bottom to noticable. I think Tubby is great for recruiting, but is very lacking in the X's and O's along with his platoon substitution tactics (which drive me insane).

I would be surprised if Tubby is still the coach by 2015. If he can continue to get all MN high schoolers, build a practice facility, and consistantly get to the tourney, I think we'll be in a nice place for a 'complete package' coach that will not only get good recruits, but execute strategically on the floor.

Tubby has been terrific for the program and I hope he does stay until 2015 or even a bit beyond. I also hope he gets some new blood on his assistant staff. He needs some new input. Either his system is outdated or he is not recruiting the right type of player for his system because we have talent but not the right blend to make his offense flow right. It's obvious there's a fair amount of uncertainty with the system and this group of players.

I certainly hope that the hold up in his contract negotiations isn't Tubby wrangling for a Saul successor deal......

I consider it an improvement to have hardly anything go right the past three years and yet still have at least a couple tourney appearances under our belt, and hopefully a third straight year. You know the last time the Gophers "legally" went even .500 in conference in consecutive seasons prior to Tubby in the last two? The 1989-90 season. Obviously we had a nice five year "illegal" stretch under Clem, but let's not front like this program has been hot the last 20 years. When you are trying to build programs back up from issues, it's gonna take some time to get to the levels we desire, especially in a Big Ten conference that is becoming quite a beast. Tubby's far from perfect, but do you honestly think we could have a much better coach here at Minnesota right now than Tubby Smith? You'd be hard pressed to find one.

Yes, he's had some defections, some lost recruits, has a sometimes frustrating offense, and is probably too vulnerable to the three point shot. But sheesh, the dude's won 20 games the last three years, our longest "legal" streak of 20 wins ever (of course, more games played, so I'd say best streak since the 80s w/ Dutcher), he has come up with some very nice signature wins, and really, has just plain given this program some credibility it hasn't had in a very long time. The future is as bright as ever, as he has some promising young guys in the program as well as two top 100 recruits coming in next season (we'll see what he comes up with for Devoe's scholly), so basically, I'm disappointed in some of the developments, but overall happy with the state of the program and where it is headed.

1. True. Devoe I am sort of sad about losing, the other two, meh, weren't going to amount to anything here.
2. BS. Inconsistent, maybe, halfway through his sophomore year...did you watch the 2nd half tonight?
3. Fair point, the big men frustrate me also.
4. Mbakwe is pretty good. They are also the two seniors......
5. True. What was Monson's NCAA tourney record his last few years?
6. Andre Hollins is flying up the rankings and will easily end up as a 4 star; we also got the best MN kid, something we haven't done in the past, it happens to be a down year overall for MN high school
7. True, and hopefully we finish above .500 this year
8. Sometimes gets bogged down - if point 3 was fixed our offense would look MUCH better
9. It happens, let's see if they beat us this year
10. I don't give a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# what fans think - results matter to me.
11. He does seem like a great guy (I am not a "friend" of him or know him personally; I met him only once and he was very nice)

Great responses fryguy. I agree with all of them. I still do wish that Tubby didn't make Royce steal those jeans from the MOA.

I consider it an improvement to have hardly anything go right the past three years and yet still have at least a couple tourney appearances under our belt, and hopefully a third straight year. You know the last time the Gophers "legally" went even .500 in conference in consecutive seasons prior to Tubby in the last two? The 1989-90 season. Obviously we had a nice five year "illegal" stretch under Clem, but let's not front like this program has been hot the last 20 years. When you are trying to build programs back up from issues, it's gonna take some time to get to the levels we desire, especially in a Big Ten conference that is becoming quite a beast. Tubby's far from perfect, but do you honestly think we could have a much better coach here at Minnesota right now than Tubby Smith? You'd be hard pressed to find one.

Yes, he's had some defections, some lost recruits, has a sometimes frustrating offense, and is probably too vulnerable to the three point shot. But sheesh, the dude's won 20 games the last three years, our longest "legal" streak of 20 wins ever (of course, more games played, so I'd say best streak since the 80s w/ Dutcher), he has come up with some very nice signature wins, and really, has just plain given this program some credibility it hasn't had in a very long time. The future is as bright as ever, as he has some promising young guys in the program as well as two top 100 recruits coming in next season (we'll see what he comes up with for Devoe's scholly), so basically, I'm disappointed in some of the developments, but overall happy with the state of the program and where it is headed.

Anyone that really wants to fire Tubby is nuts. Everything you said there is true. However, as fans there should be no harm with hoping for continued improvement and stability. I for one am hoping that our great coach (sincerely said) is willing to look at some changes in strategy or staffing to fit what he has in terms of players or adjust to the opponents we face. We all hit points in our careers where we get stuck in our ways and I hope that hasn't happened to the Tubster. Gene Keady was as good as it gets as a coach but his last few years at Purdue were tough, not up to his standards.... just for example.

Top Bottom