Finding a New Coach

Bob Nielson is the best choice available all things considered. Most of the big name coaches people toss out are not coming (Richt, Miles, Peterson). Taking a coordinator from a big school is just as big of a gamble than taking Nielson from UMD. Look at his record, the guy is a proven winner. He knows how to coach and he makes his athletes better. Bottom line... its all about coaching. Other options would be the coaches from USD or NIU.

....who replaces Brew unless the U ponies up some dollars for a decent staff. I think Brew could have succeeded if he had a staff that was worth a crap from the get-go. That's hard to do on a tiny budget, though still his job. The assistants are the guys doing the actual coaching during practice, ours are decent guys who can recruit, the coaching ability doesn't seem to be there. Perhaps this is the talent drain James Farrow was referring to, guys just aren't getting better year to year.

Salaries were not the problem. Dunbar and Cosgrove were and are paid well. Brewster couldn't get a consistent staff here because other coaches realize he didn't know what he was doing. Why do you think he couldn't even bring a single position coach or GA with him from his previous coaching jobs with the exception of Withers who saw the writing on the wall and bailed after a year.

One name: Gerry Faust.

When I hear the name Faust, I only think of one thing - The legendary Faust Theater near my old stomping grounds of Selby & Dale. They showed some fine films in that palace towards the end of her days.

When I hear the name Faust, I only think of one thing - The legendary Faust Theater near my old stomping grounds of Selby & Dale. They showed some fine films in that palace towards the end of her days.

Steven, how have you been? Enjoy any good pie on campus lately? Ah, the good ole days.....

I think football is different than basketball and both Tressel and Ryan took over programs that were well-established. I have nothing against Bob Neilson, but he'd be walking into a place where things would have to start over from the foundation up. I think the biggest issue in football is that a guy has to become a national recruiter for 85 guys. In basketball, it's only 12.

Top Bottom