Finding a New Coach

gopherpride32

Reaction score
After another embarrassing loss to Northern Illinois, we need to start thinking of replacing Brewster. Of course we would all love Tony Dungy coming and coaching us but that wont happen. I think the Gophers should go get Bob Nielson of UMD, he knows how to win games and how to coach, something Brewster obviously doesnt know how to do.

Bob, I am sorry, but you have no chance at the Gophers job.

If we hire the coach from Duluth I will cancel my season tickets and just move on from college football entirely. Maybe I'll get season tickets to the Guthrie. No way the most qualified person who would take this job just happens to be at Duluth.

I wish Dungy would come in just for the rest of the year to right the ship if miracles do happen and Maturi pulls the trigger. That would be better than the interim road which I hate.

I really wish they would make a big splash hire now and start fresh as soon as possible. Why let this year go completely down the drain if you don't have to.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5hfYJsQAhl0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5hfYJsQAhl0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

How about what Bob has allowed the basketball program to turn into, thats been great

Heres an interesting name: Kevin Sumlin (Univ. of Houston). In his 2+ years at Houston, his record is 21-10. He was an assistant for the Gophers from 1993-1997.

Heres an interesting name: Kevin Sumlin (Univ. of Houston). In his 2+ years at Houston, his record is 21-10. He was an assistant for the Gophers from 1993-1997.

No, his teams are to one dimensional.

Curious why people bash Bob Nielson. He's been successful everywhere he's been. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Tressel moved up to OSU from Youngstown State.

I'm not saying he's a silver bullet, but people around here seem to think that a D-1 coach who has had past success (but for whatever reason doesn't have a job right now) would be better than someone who has demonstrated an ability to turn around and build programs at lower levels. The reality is that these lower level guys have to be BETTER at identifying diamonds in the rough, BETTER at those diamonds, and BETTER at coaching kids up.

I'd bet the Guthrie has someone who can kick a 40 yard FG. And some of those stagehands have to be harder than our D. Besides, Sea Change is a great restaurant, and they serve beer. Plus it has cash registers.

Two words: Bob Ligashesky
Google his name.
It is a stone cold lock that Maturi will turn to Mr. Ligashesky FIRST as to his availability!

Curious why people bash Bob Nielson. He's been successful everywhere he's been. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Tressel moved up to OSU from Youngstown State.

I'm not saying he's a silver bullet, but people around here seem to think that a D-1 coach who has had past success (but for whatever reason doesn't have a job right now) would be better than someone who has demonstrated an ability to turn around and build programs at lower levels. The reality is that these lower level guys have to be BETTER at identifying diamonds in the rough, BETTER at those diamonds, and BETTER at coaching kids up.

Prob worth pointing out that UMD is D-II not D-IAA.

Prob worth pointing out that UMD is D-II not D-IAA.

It's worth pointing out as an irrelevant fact. Also worth pointing out: In basketball, Bo Ryan was coaching at UW-Platteville, Division 3!!!, two years before taking over in Madison with just a brief one year stint at UW-Milwaukee in between.

Successful coaches can translate from one level to the next.

It's worth pointing out as an irrelevant fact. Also worth pointing out: In basketball, Bo Ryan was coaching at UW-Platteville, Division 3!!!, two years before taking over in Madison with just a brief one year stint at UW-Milwaukee in between.

They CAN, but that doesn't mean they WILL.

You'd think a former NFL coach would be successful here if that were the case.

I was pointing it out b/c your post made it sound like UMD was 1AA like Youngstown State. I'd argue that Bo is the exception, not the rule, too.

EDIT: For Bo, I meant exception for quick leaps between divisions. I'm sure he is one of many examples of the transition from success at D-III/D-II to D-I.

Closet Gopher fan here. Hopefully Maturi will handle this situation in the best way to give you guys a chance to get a quality HC at Minnesota who will turn the program around.

What do you all think about Coach Kill? (From Northern Illinois). I've seen them play twice this year (ISU & Minnesota) and have been impressed with his team & coaching in both games. I think he's done well everywhere he's been & is well respected by his peers. He seems like a good potential candidate to me.

Does Brew mow that Rose Bowl grass he has in his office?

Comparing a basketball coach to a football coach is embarrassing. Apples and oversized oranges, really. You can turn a basketball program around overnight with a great player and few good players (and perhaps a little cash, if you're Kentucky). A football program takes time to turn around because you need depth and physically mature bodies.

So no D2 coaches, and no Dungy. Let's find somebody who can do the job at this level.

It doesn't matter...

....who replaces Brew unless the U ponies up some dollars for a decent staff. I think Brew could have succeeded if he had a staff that was worth a crap from the get-go. That's hard to do on a tiny budget, though still his job. The assistants are the guys doing the actual coaching during practice, ours are decent guys who can recruit, the coaching ability doesn't seem to be there. Perhaps this is the talent drain James Farrow was referring to, guys just aren't getting better year to year.

Top Bottom