Financial arms race in colleges (NILVersion)

The prez sez

Reaction score
Found this on MLive.com website about former MSU athlete who became a billionaire now guaranteeing all Spartans football and basketball players a monthly stipend of $500/month. It will cost him $800,000/year to underwrite these athletes.
The financial arms race in athletics just got higher . who's our sugar daddy? (Sorry unable to link to website but story is on front page of Mlive.com)

Found this on MLive.com website about former MSU athlete who became a billionaire now guaranteeing all Spartans football and basketball players a monthly stipend of $500/month. It will cost him $800,000/year to underwrite these athletes.
The financial arms race in athletics just got higher . who's our sugar daddy? (Sorry unable to link to website but story is on front page of Mlive.com)
Mega Tongue.

What was your favorite title 9 memory?
Title 9 not applicable to this. Are UConn men’s players entitled to the same money Paige Buekers is going to get?

As long as it isn’t coming form an educational institution that gets federal dollars…title 9 is dead.
honestly the only way to police anything now for the ncaa is strict roster limits. I’d argue teams should only be allowed 80-85 guys practicing and playing in a given season.

Otherwise teams with deep booster pockets are going to have walk ons getting paid to sit on the bench and not start for opponents.

honestly the only way to police anything now for the ncaa is strict roster limits. I’d argue teams should only be allowed 80-85 guys practicing and playing in a given season.
Some people think courts would shut this down, but I think you just extend the current 85 limit on guys with athletic scholarships to be an 85 limit on guys that have chosen to take any form of NIL payment and/or athletic scholarship.

If they choose to forgo those things, then say there are another 20-30 roster spots for such players.

Title 9 not applicable to this. Are UConn men’s players entitled to the same money Paige Buekers is going to get?

As long as it isn’t coming form an educational institution that gets federal dollars…title 9 is dead.

Otherwise teams with deep booster pockets are going to have walk ons getting paid to sit on the bench and not start for opponents.
Cut schollies to 70-75. Allow 5-10 Walk-ons.

"TCU coach Gary Patterson says SEC schools targeting player on his roster with NIL offers"

"TCU coach Gary Patterson says SEC schools targeting player on his roster with NIL offers"
If it can happen to a TCU player, it can happen to a Gopher player. Then when we start losing them, will we still hear the same snarky remarks from pro-NIL people about "well I guess we won't be competing with tOSU for recruits anymore, yuk yuk yuk". After all, they didn't think NIL would have any bad ramifications....

Top Bottom