Final verdict in on the Brew (and his recruiting)...

dinkything

Reaction score
The Brew was hired in January, 2007, so the bottom-ranked Gopher recruiting class of 2007 (which included the 'electrifying' Harold Howell) cannot be held against him, with just those precious few weeks available to try to salvage a class.

The recruiting class of 2008 was his supposed crowning achievement while at the 'U'.

Subsequent Gopher recruiting classes were lower ranked, with the justification being that so much talent was recruited in 2008...that many prospective student-athletes would have to go elsewhere in order to see the field easier and quicker.

Fast forward to today...and so far, not ONE Brew recruit from 2008....or from ANY other of his recruiting classes...has been drafted into the NFL :cry:
Not one Gopher has been drafted in the past 3 years.

yes...you might say the final verdict on the Brew is in...over-rated coach....over-rated recruiter...too bad so many locals bought all of his hogwash...:rolleyes:

The Brew was hired in January, 2007, so the bottom-ranked Gopher recruiting class of 2007 (which included the 'electrifying' Harold Howell) cannot be held against him, with just those precious few weeks available to try to salvage a class.

The recruiting class of 2008 was his supposed crowning achievement while at the 'U'.

Subsequent Gopher recruiting classes were lower ranked, with the justification being that so much talent was recruited in 2008...that many prospective student-athletes would have to go elsewhere in order to see the field easier and quicker.

Fast forward to today...and so far, not ONE Brew recruit from 2008....or from ANY other of his recruiting classes...has been drafted into the NFL :cry:
Not one Gopher has been drafted in the past 3 years.

yes...you might say the final verdict on the Brew is in...over-rated coach....over-rated recruiter...too bad so many locals bought all of his hogwash...:rolleyes:

Yet he was one of the best quote machines of all time.

Thanks for sharing. Couple points:

The Brew was hired in January, 2007, so the bottom-ranked Gopher recruiting class of 2007 (which included the 'electrifying' Harold Howell) cannot be held against him, with just those precious few weeks available to try to salvage a class. - Correct

The recruiting class of 2008 was his supposed crowning achievement while at the 'U'. - Very true this was a highly ranked class nationally

Subsequent Gopher recruiting classes were lower ranked, with the justification being that so much talent was recruited in 2008...that many prospective student-athletes would have to go elsewhere in order to see the field easier and quicker. - Don't recall every hearing anyone say that they brought in less talent in future years based on the strength of the 2008 class.

Not one Gopher has been drafted in the past 3 years. - First off very few Gopher players have been drafted going back a long way. One player, Tremaine Brock, who while he wasn't drafted is playing in the NFL as well as a few others that also went undrafted. Common thought is Shede will be a force this year and get drafted next season so while I know that is only 1 it is not like we have been churning out tons of NFL Talent around here. I don't see a lot of guys that have been recruited the past few years looking like sure fire draft picks to this point either.

yes...you might say the final verdict on the Brew is in...over-rated coach He was never talked about as a great coach, he was an unknown that the AD got cheap. Not sure that would qualify as overrated....over-rated recruiter...He certainly sold Maturi on his recruiting ability and his staff worked a lot harder than the previous staff did in recruiting....too bad so many locals bought all of his hogwash...He was fired after 3.5 years and his honeymoon was over pretty quick, where are all these fans that were buying in after the initial excitement of a coach that at least talked a big game even if he wasn't ready to back it up?[/B]:rolleyes:

But hey glad you were able to pass the final word on Brewster and bring so much new and relevant info to the conversation. Don't see a lot of people saying it was a good hire. Our AD made a stupid decision hiring a guy who wasn't ready to be a head coach at this level because he could get him cheap.

Thanks for sharing. Couple points:

...Subsequent Gopher recruiting classes were lower ranked, with the justification being that so much talent was recruited in 2008...that many prospective student-athletes would have to go elsewhere in order to see the field easier and quicker. - Don't recall every hearing anyone say that they brought in less talent in future years based on the strength of the 2008 class.

You must be new to the board...

FWIW, this year's redshirt seniors were recruited by Brewster. So he'll end up with one drafted player when Hageman's name is called next April.

Overall, I agree with your assessment that Brewster was not a good recruiter. But you'll never convince some otherwise because their sole criteria is Rivals rankings and they will forever point to his 2008 class.

There is only one thing left for you to do, dinky. Get a hold of Head Coach Jimbo Fisher at Florida State and tell him that his new Tight Ends Coach/Recruiting Coordinator can't coach a lick or recruit worth sh*t. Once he finds out there is no doubt he will fire Brew's ass.

there wer three or four guys in the 2008 class who never got into school. that class would not have been rated that highly based on kids who showed up. I think Brtewster recruited kids intentionally that would not qualify just to improve te lcass ranking and maintain his image as a great recruiter. I believe he recruited a couple of three star wide receivers who would not start for St. Thomas.

Gray would've been drafted with a better coaching staff.

He should've been All Big Ten easily.

In the end, the worst and saddest thing of all . . . The disastrous hiring of Brewster (the worst decision/move from a litany of bad executives decision by the former AD) set the program back for 9-10 YEARS.

Maturi set the bar or standard so low, that Teague will be considered a genius if he is just competent.

Gray would've been drafted with a better coaching staff.

He should've been All Big Ten easily.

Agreed. Kill should have been able to do much more with Gray during the two full years he had to coach him.

Agreed. Kill should have been able to do much more with Gray during the two full years he had to coach him.

Kill tried to make Gray into a star, and built his offense around a running QB. But it is hard to coach a guy who can't stay on the field. Injuries matter.

In other news, the ghost of Mr. Ed called and asked that he stop being beaten.

there wer three or four guys in the 2008 class who never got into school. that class would not have been rated that highly based on kids who showed up. I think Brtewster recruited kids intentionally that would not qualify just to improve te lcass ranking and maintain his image as a great recruiter. I believe he recruited a couple of three star wide receivers who would not start for St. Thomas.

I don't think he recruited anyone he knew would not get into school just for the sake of rankings. I do think however that he took risks in recruiting guys with higher rankings that were not slam dunks to get into school. It is a small difference but I honestly believe that while I am sure he knew some would not get into school I don't think he would waste his staffs time going after guys just for the sake of rankings with no shot of qualifying. He took risks to try and upgrade the talent, unfortunately many of those risks didn't pan out which played a large part in his downfall.

Gray unfortunately had at least five things go against him. First, he never received much coaching/ development from Brewster's coaching staff. Second, he was playing with a very young team with not much depth after Brewster left. Third, Gray never had the same offensive coordinator until his last year at Minnesota. Fourth, when he finally did, he was injured most of that year. Fifth, Kill staff did modify the offense they were trying to install at Minnesota to try to take advantage of Gray's skills, but Kill’offensive philosophy really requires a very different skill set than what Gray had. I admire Gray’s dedication and hard work but his timing/luck was very unfortunate. Kill did what he could for Gray, but he had a much more important priority than just Gray, i.e. turning a program and culture around that was in shambles. I think most people are starting to realize how well Kill is exceeding in doing exactly that. So, if the anti Kill faction want to blame Kill for Gray's bad luck, so be it.

Tremaine Brock made it to the NFL, he was only here one year, but I do believe Brew recruited him

played in the NFL is different than drafted. Maturi was qualified to be the Dean at Edgewood in Madison. that is about it. don't be surprised when one Peter Principle hires another Peter Principle.

The other knock against Brew in 2007 is he ignored JJ Watt that he changed his commitment to Western Michigan. Not that Watt would have developed under his tutelage, but man, the guys one of the best DEs in the NFL right now. Also, Greg Jones flipped to MSU, but that was more a result of Mase getting fired than Brew not recruiting him. Just for comparisons in talent evaluation abilities. In the last two weeks of recruiting in 2011 Kill got commitments from Derrick Wells, Michael Amaefula, Therien Cochran, DCT, Joe Bjorklund, Cedric Thompson and David Cobb. Granted Brew had only 3 weeks to put a class together after coming from the NFL, but man Kill really found some hidden gems. Four of those seven are going to be starters this fall and the other three will get significant playing time.

You must be new to the board...

I've never read someone saying the 2009 and 2010 classes were hurt by the success of 2008. If it's been said, it was a very select few. I think it's all in your head.

FWIW, this year's redshirt seniors were recruited by Brewster. So he'll end up with one drafted player when Hageman's name is called next April.

Overall, I agree with your assessment that Brewster was not a good recruiter. But you'll never convince some otherwise because their sole criteria is Rivals rankings and they will forever point to his 2008 class.

I think his 2008 class would have been good if most of the players showed up and he had a good/consistent staff. And I'm not basing it on rivals rankings, but rather who he had to beat out to get some of the players.

Gray - Illinois, Iowa, Michigan St., Oregon, and others
Cooper - Kansas St., Miami, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Wisconsin and others
Green - Michigan St., Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois and others
Maresh - Iowa, Kansas St., Michigan, Michigan St., Wisconsin, and others
Simmons - California, Florida, and others
Edwards - Syracuse and West Virginia
Reeves - Kansas St., Arkansas, Texas Tech, Wisconsin, and others
Smith - Illinois, Kansas St., Nebraska, Oregon, and others
Whaley - Michigan St., Penn St., Virginia Tech, West Virginia, and others
Brock - Louisville, South Carolina, and others
Lawrence - Pittsburgh, West Virginia, and others
Lair - Baylor, Nebraska, and Oklahoma St.
Combs - Michigan, Michigan St., Louisville, West Virginia, and others

That's pretty impressive if you ask me. I know many of the guys didn't produce like we thought and many never made it here or left early, and Brewster deserves some of the blame for that. But simply looking at how he beat out so many much better programs to get some of these guys is pretty dang good.

I've never read someone saying the 2009 and 2010 classes were hurt by the success of 2008....

Wow...selective amnesia has afflicted so many on this board...

What 'excuse' do you think was given back then for Brew's dramatically lower recruiting rankings, versus 2008?

What 'excuse' do you think was given back then for Brew's dramatically lower recruiting rankings, versus 2008?

Like I said...provide the relevant links and "cure" our collective amnesia.

Just to chime in I've never heard or read anything that specifically uses the strength of the 2008 class as an excuse for poorer subsequent classes. That's not to say kids don't factor in who is on the roster when making their decision. Maybe dinkything is referring to the truth that Brew didn't have playing time as a hook to lure kids. That has been mention quite a bit.

No excuses at all and there is no way you win this debate. If the criteria is what other Division I terms made offers to the Gopher recruits, then every one of Brews recruiting classes were higher ranked that all but one of Masons, and both of Kills.

No excuses at all and there is no way you win this debate If the criteria is what other Division I terms made offers to the Gopher recruits, then every one of Brews recruiting classes were high ranked that all but one of Masons, and both of Kills.[/QUOT

I suppose the mid-season buyout and ditching of the brewball system also was superior in every way...Let this Brewster as a recruiter nonsense go brewballers. It is SO repetitive and SO boring.

The number of Big Ten wins vs. Big Ten losses always tells the story...it always has and always will for any...and every coach the Gopher Football Program has ever had and will ever have.

Obviously the brewball system was a total and complete bust within only about 3.5 seasons.

Now, this third season for Coach Kill is very important. I saw improvement last season. I saw some potentially very positive things in the Spring Game. The improvement needs to continue. I'd say 3 Big Ten wins will be needed this year to keep the ship moving in the right direction. We need to continue to become more competitive within the B1G Conference. My key game is the Northwestern Game, in Evanston. Think I'll be in the market for tickets to that game. I think the Gophers need at least one road B1G win in 2013 and 2 road wins would be incredible! I just might need to make the trip to Bloomington, IN as well as Evanston. I think I saw a few things in the spring game that make me want to make a couple of road trips and while I have been to Evanston often, I have never been to Bloomington, IN for a football game. I am hoping that Coach Kill is developing enough depth and a bit more experience that will make going to B1G games on the road a lot of fun again. Of course, you never know...and that is why they play the games and that is why a person heads on out to cheer the Gophers on in those other great B1G Stadiums...Things are beginning to become a bit more interesting again!

; 0 )

No excuses at all and there is no way you win this debate If the criteria is what other Division I terms made offers to the Gopher recruits, then every one of Brews recruiting classes were high ranked that all but one of Masons, and both of Kills.[/QUOT

I suppose the mid-season buyout and ditching of the brewball system also was superior in every way...Let this Brewster as a recruiter nonsense go brewballers. It is SO repetitive and SO boring.

The number of Big Ten wins vs. Big Ten losses always tells the story...it always has and always will for any...and every coach the Gopher Football Program has ever had and will ever have.

Obviously the brewball system was a total and complete bust within only about 3.5 seasons.

Now, this third season for Coach Kill is very important. I saw improvement last season. I saw some potentially very positive things in the Spring Game. The improvement needs to continue. I'd say 3 Big Ten wins will be needed this year to keep the ship moving in the right direction. We need to continue to become more competitive within the B1G Conference. My key game is the Northwestern Game, in Evanston. Think I'll be in the market for tickets to that game. I think the Gophers need at least one road B1G win in 2013 and 2 road wins would be incredible! I just might need to make the trip to Bloomington, IN as well as Evanston. I think I saw a few things in the spring game that make me want to make a couple of road trips and while I have been to Evanston often, I have never been to Bloomington, IN for a football game. I am hoping that Coach Kill is developing enough depth and a bit more experience that will make going to B1G games on the road a lot of fun again. Of course, you never know...and that is why they play the games and that is why a person heads on out to cheer the Gophers on in those other great B1G Stadiums...Things are beginning to become a bit more interesting again!

; 0 )

We are discussing whether or not Brewster is a good recruiter, Wren. Try again. Your response needs to include the fact that Brewster is now the Recruiting Coordinator at Florida State. How did he get the job if he is a sh*tty recruiter? That is all we want to hear out of you. We won't be reading any of your other BS. We already read it in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012.

From the mouths of wren

If only wren would take his own advice per the following quote from him:

"I suppose the mid-season buyout and ditching of the brewball system also was superior in every way...Let this Brewster as a recruiter nonsense go brewballers. It is SO repetitive and SO boring."

Oh, my mistake! I thought we were talking about Mason.

May take some time to come up with those 'relevant links'...as they are now more than 3 years old, and I'm a busy guy.

But in the meantime, let me throw this out to you...

In February, 2010, the Brew had just begun his 4th (and as it turned out, final) season as Gopher head coach. He had just come off his 2nd consecutive trip to a bowl game. He had some momentum...and a story to tell...

How was his recruiting haul at that time? According to Scout, Brew - this self admitted recruiting machine - reeled in 25 players....one 4-star (Jimmy Gjere)...five 3-stars---and 19 2-stars...and finished dead last in the Big Ten in recruiting.

As Gopher fans stared at one another in stunned disbelief over the course of this recruiting cycle, their collective thought was..."I thought this clown could recruit??"

For now, I am appealing to your common sense. What do you think Gopher fans were concluding with this last place finish in 2010's recruiting? On these very boards, many were suggesting the Brew had stocked the cupboard so full in 2008, that future prospective student athletes were spooked at the thought of trying to compete for playing time with all those studs.

Fast forward to the Jerry Kill era...he shows up 2+ years ago...and declares said cupboard in dinkytown is bare...

The NFL doesn't want our Maroon and Gold guys...ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 doesn't want to televise our night games...Western Michigan is upset that their recruiting targets are often heading to Minneapolis...

May take some time to come up with those 'relevant links'...as they are now more than 3 years old, and I'm a busy guy.

But in the meantime, let me throw this out to you...

In February, 2010, the Brew had just begun his 4th (and as it turned out, final) season as Gopher head coach. He had just come off his 2nd consecutive trip to a bowl game. He had some momentum...and a story to tell...

How was his recruiting haul at that time? According to Scout, Brew - this self admitted recruiting machine - reeled in 25 players....one 4-star (Jimmy Gjere)...five 3-stars---and 19 2-stars...and finished dead last in the Big Ten in recruiting.

As Gopher fans stared at one another in stunned disbelief over the course of this recruiting cycle, their collective thought was..."I thought this clown could recruit??"

For now, I am appealing to your common sense. What do you think Gopher fans were concluding with this last place finish in 2010's recruiting? On these very boards, many were suggesting the Brew had stocked the cupboard so full in 2008, that future prospective student athletes were spooked at the thought of trying to compete for playing time with all those studs.

Fast forward to the Jerry Kill era...he shows up 2+ years ago...and declares said cupboard in dinkytown is bare...

The NFL doesn't want our Maroon and Gold guys...ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 doesn't want to televise our night games...Western Michigan is upset that their recruiting targets are often heading to Minneapolis...

Are you sure this didn't just happen in your head? Someone may have said it, but I sure as hell don't remember "many".

The ghost of Mr. Ed is on the phone again. "Wilburrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Quit beating me!"

Top Bottom