FINAL Portal Status Grid

If I mention that it is Morehead as opposed to Moorhead, am I nitpicking?
(Honestly, I couldn't make a graph like this if my life depended on it. Thanks)
Good catch! After nearly a lifetime of living in MN, I can't break the habit! Edit has been made. I even highlighted in purple!

Or no offer at all. The darkest place in the portal is giving up something and getting nothing in return.
I am sure someone will do a breakdown (maybe already has) of all the players whose college careers have ended by entering the portal. With these past few years of massive expansion of the portal it would be really interesting to know what percentage of players, stayed put, moved up, moved down, or ended up out of the game due to it.

I am sure someone will do a breakdown (maybe already has) of all the players whose college careers have ended by entering the portal. With these past few years of massive expansion of the portal it would be really interesting to know what percentage of players, stayed put, moved up, moved down, or ended up out of the game due to it.
I’m curious how many of the ended careers are guys who were grad transfers trying to take the pandemic year. Really feel sorry for the guys who give up a free degree for a failed basketball dream.

I’m curious how many of the ended careers are guys who were grad transfers trying to take the pandemic year. Really feel sorry for the guys who give up a free degree for a failed basketball dream.
At least in the case of grad transfers that don't find a home they had a career. But yeah, feel bad for guys who go searching for something better and end up finding nothing.

At least in the case of grad transfers that don't find a home they had a career. But yeah, feel bad for guys who go searching for something better and end up finding nothing.
That’s life! Quitting a job with no guaranteed backup plan in place.

But in this case isn’t having a guaranteed school considered tampering?
That’s why they might want to remain on scholarship at their current school. There is no guarantee so it’s a chance they take. They’re not supposed to arrange an under the radar transfer before entering the transfer portal, though given the past and current corruption in college basketball it’s probably going on. I’m wondering if some NIL marketing group associated with a school can legally contact the transfer portal player to promote what they can offer. Even if that’s illegal it’s hard to believe it isn’t going on.

But in this case isn’t having a guaranteed school considered tampering?
That's his point. Most who enter do not have any guarantees for landing. The good ones are assured (guaranteed) of landing somewhere.

Jaelin Llewellyn from Princeton finishes his visit to Michigan today. Still not clear if he is a target for the Gophers or not. His recruitment has been harder to follow after the Clemson commitment and decommitment. Will keep on the grid for now.

Added Samuels from Dartmouth as a visitor for next weekend.

No updates on Josiah Strong from Illinois State.

Not adding Michael Jones from Davidson until I have any indication of interest.

Hopefully, we are interested in people beyond the list. We need an investigative reporter or at minimum a mole or maybe Ben could feel our pain and share his plan to some degree. Something…

Hopefully, we are interested in people beyond the list. We need an investigative reporter or at minimum a mole or maybe Ben could feel our pain and share his plan to some degree. Something…
Things are picking up and we will probably have a new target or two by May 1st, the deadline to enter the portal without sitting out a season.

Information has become very tight over the last week or two. I actual think that much of it has to do with the fallout of the NIL drama that has been unfolding. Coaches and ADs are likely scrambling to work with their boosters to find out what they have to offer. NIL through outside parties has introduced a new variable to recruiting that is just mind-blowing.

I am not on Twitter so am only able to get snippets here and there through my searches. I appreciate any info that others might have.

No offense to anybody…but what the Samuels visit suggests to me is that we are struggling versus choosing. His visit is a week out. Maybe we have some possibilities in between and maybe not?
Hope we land him. He seems competent.

for some reason, getting "lost in the portal" reminds me of the classic Twilight Zone episode about the little girl that gets lost in another dimension. (and which, some claim, was ripped off for the plot of the movie "Poltergeist.")

maybe if a player is lost in the portal, they can send in the family dog to find them?

No offense to anybody…but what the Samuels visit suggests to me is that we are struggling versus choosing. His visit is a week out. Maybe we have some possibilities in between and maybe not?
Well....it has that feel but the reality is that we do have 4 spots open and need a second PG, so for that purpose I agree with it. Still it is awfully quiet on the SG front and that is concerning.

Well....it has that feel but the reality is that we do have 4 spots open and need a second PG, so for that purpose I agree with it. Still it is awfully quiet on the SG front and that is concerning.
Transfer portal recruiting is a lot less 'fun' to me than HS recruiting. It really feels like a meat market crossed with musical chairs. There is no premium on building relationships.

On that note, however, Cooper said that Johnson reached out to him daily and built a strong relationship with him. I am going to presume that Johnson is building relationships with many candidates that are in the portal.

It seems like there is a little pause here in portal movement as both coaches and players assess how the first set of dominoes has fallen and strategize for the next round. Thiam entered the portal this week after seeing and hearing how some things are shaking down.

I hope that Johnson's investments prove useful as players scramble to find a chair as the music stops.

Jaelin Llewellyn from Princeton committed to Michigan today after his visit. Removed from grid as it was not clear if he was in serious conversations with the Gophers or not.

Transfer portal recruiting is a lot less 'fun' to me than HS recruiting. It really feels like a meat market crossed with musical chairs. There is no premium on building relationships.

On that note, however, Cooper said that Johnson reached out to him daily and built a strong relationship with him. I am going to presume that Johnson is building relationships with many candidates that are in the portal.

It seems like there is a little pause here in portal movement as both coaches and players assess how the first set of dominoes has fallen and strategize for the next round. Thiam entered the portal this week after seeing and hearing how some things are shaking down.

I hope that Johnson's investments prove useful as players scramble to find a chair as the music stops.
For the Gophers, yes, otherwise it seems to me like it has picked up steam.

As was pointed it out it all depends on what we are recruiting Samuels to do. If we are recruiting him to start then yeah, things are maybe not going well and we are possibly getting kind of desperate to fill spots. If we are recruiting him to be a backup PG (seems likely) then those that are worrying about what this means should take a step back and let things play out.

For the Gophers, yes, otherwise it seems to me like it has picked up steam.
In my monitoring of the portal, the last 7-10 days has slowed in terms of news. Players have taken visits and there is a trickle of commitments.

With May 1 in a couple of days, I think we will see another surge of movement as coaches pressure students to finalize their plans. We will likely begin the game of musical chairs again once the coaches see where they stand.

Doesn't suggest struggling. Ben needs to discuss the role he would play and if he has the right attitude to be the backup to Coop, giving us 3-minutes stretches of hell on wheels. Smart move by coach.

In my monitoring of the portal, the last 7-10 days has slowed in terms of news. Players have taken visits and there is a trickle of commitments.

With May 1 in a couple of days, I think we will see another surge of movement as coaches pressure students to finalize their plans. We will likely begin the game of musical chairs again once the coaches see where they stand.
Sounds good. Seeing Shannon, Aimaq, Llewellyn, Freidel committing these last couple of days starts triggering my restlessness.

Sounds good. Seeing Shannon, Aimaq, Llewellyn, Freidel committing these last couple of days starts triggering my restlessness.
I am in the same boat. The pacing of recruiting the portal is not my cup of tea. It is extremely hard to find decent information because things move really fast and most transfers aren't giving a lot of interviews or indications what they are looking for. Leads to throwing a bunch of rumors around until something sticks.

When you can basically promise a starting off guard spot in the Big Ten and can’t get a solid player to commit it makes you wonder. Hopefully Ben has someone lined up and patience is required.
Johnson doesn't seem to mind doing things a little different. Some have gathered that he may be favoring the high school recruits for this position. These are HIS first high school recruits... maybe he wants to get Carrington and Henley some major run this year and have some solid but unspectacular backups ready to steady the ship if needed? Maybe he feels confident in some of the '23 guards and is fine with a stop gap this year?

As was pointed it out it all depends on what we are recruiting Samuels to do. If we are recruiting him to start then yeah, things are maybe not going well and we are possibly getting kind of desperate to fill spots. If we are recruiting him to be a backup PG (seems likely) then those that are worrying about what this means should take a step back and let things play out.

What we are recruiting him for may or may not be relevant. If we don't get a good off guard, then he may end up being a starter. I'm not exactly sure why he comes here if he's recruited to be a backup point guard anyway unless he just wants to play another year and take his chances and/or he's interested in the educational aspects of coming here and figures it's a free masters degree at a good graduate school. I'm assuming he will graduate before coming here because he's an Ivy Leaguer and he's been in college 4 years already since the Ivies skipped the 20-21 season.

Top Bottom