FINAL Portal Status Grid

ecoperson

Reaction score
Closing grid with the commitment of Samuels. Watkins in italics as showing interest but likely no longer pursuing transfers.

NameSchoolPositionVisitedVisit DateOther VisitsStatusStatus Date
Ta'Lon CooperMoorhead StGY4/17-19NoneCommitted Gophers4/20
Dawson GarciaUNCFY4/18Committed Gophers4/18
Taurus SamuelsDartmouthGY5/5-6Committed Gophers5/9
Mikey WatkinsMerrimackGN Interest: GA South, App St; UIC

Last edited:

I still hope that Walton could come into play...
I keep forgetting about him because there is nothing official out there, but yeah, I think with a coaching staff like this, support, and teammates with this culture, he would thrive. He just has too much talent to not let it shine. Not that I know personally, but with his rating out of high school, and what some people have said about watching him, it seems he just needs the right fit.

With all of the moving pieces, I am trying to keep track of the musical chairs. Here is a simple grid that I put together to track what is happening. Let me know if you have updates and I will keep updating this table and editing here. I especially need to know if any of the uncommitted have other visits scheduled and when.

Hunter McIntoshElonGY4/19
Jaelin LlewellynPrincetonGBack in portal after decommitting from Clemson
Parker StewartIndianaGY4/16
Josiah StrongIllinois StGY4/18
Isaiah ThompsonPurdueGScheduled4/25Grand Canyon, 4/15-16
Loyola Marymount, 4/17-18
FL Gulf Coast, 4/19-21;
N. Kentucky, 4/23-24
Ta'Lon CooperMoorhead StGScheduled4/22Committed Gophers4/20
Nick HonorClemsonGCommitted Missouri4/19
Cam SpencerLoyola MarylandGCommitted Rutgers4/19
I assume we would still take McIntosh as a 2/combo. Would we still take Thompson?

I assume we would still take McIntosh as a 2/combo. Would we still take Thompson?
IMO the bigger question is would Thompson still want to come here if we already have McIntosh/Cooper.

I keep forgetting about him because there is nothing official out there, but yeah, I think with a coaching staff like this, support, and teammates with this culture, he would thrive. He just has too much talent to not let it shine. Not that I know personally, but with his rating out of high school, and what some people have said about watching him, it seems he just needs the right fit.
Kerwin appears brutally indecisive. He is a high major player, but the longer he futzes around, the less likely he is able to connect with a good high major fit. Like Minnesota.

I'm shocked he isn't in the portal yet.

Kerwin appears brutally indecisive. He is a high major player, but the longer he futzes around, the less likely he is able to connect with a good high major fit. Like Minnesota.

I'm shocked he isn't in the portal yet.
This could be true, but is there any evidence that he's undecided about transferring? Maybe he knows he's staying at UNC. And maybe he's known it all along, for all we know.

With all of the moving pieces, I am trying to keep track of the musical chairs. Here is a simple grid that I put together to track what is happening. Let me know if you have updates and I will keep updating this table and editing here. I especially need to know if any of the uncommitted have other visits scheduled and when.

Hunter McIntoshElonGY4/19Wichita St, 4/24
Nevada, 4/25
Jaelin LlewellynPrincetonGBack in portal after decommitting from Clemson
Parker StewartIndianaGY4/16
Josiah StrongIllinois StGY4/18
Isaiah ThompsonPurdueGScheduled4/25Grand Canyon, 4/15-16
Loyola Marymount, 4/17-18
FL Gulf Coast, 4/19-21;
N. Kentucky, 4/23-24
Ta'Lon CooperMoorhead StGScheduled4/22Committed Gophers4/20
Nick HonorClemsonGCommitted Missouri4/19
Cam SpencerLoyola MarylandGCommitted Rutgers4/19
Cooper did indeed visit Minnesota before he committed it was reported.....thanks for posting!

Cooper did indeed visit Minnesota before he committed it was reported.....thanks for posting!
Has this been confirmed? I will update the grid once we can confirm via some reputable source... preferably an interview with Cooper.

I don't do twitter so I would appreciate other GopherHolers tracking down the other visits for some of our possible targets. It will help us determine when we might hear more details.

I hear he is headed elsewhere, most likely Stanford, but he is a great fit.
This is why I have not included Jones in the grid. I am looking for some indication of interest from both sides... visits are the most reliable.

Has this been confirmed? I will update the grid once we can confirm via some reputable source... preferably an interview with Cooper.

I don't do twitter so I would appreciate other GopherHolers tracking down the other visits for some of our possible targets. It will help us determine when we might hear more details.
Ryan James said he did

This is what Ryan James said on his 247 article:
"Cooper listed a visit publicly for this upcoming weekend but he took that visit earlier in the week and committed to the Gophers yesterday."

So I would say that's confirmed....

He already transferred once so I'm guessing he would have to apply for a waiver?
I heard on the eye on college basketball podcast that there is talk about a very open and easy process to get waivers even for 2nd time transfers. I think they said more Covid reasons.

Cooper didn't confirm with us that it was okay to take a visit without our knowledge. He really threw us off our rockers. Plz confirm with us next time. thx
Word is he tried to communicate directly with several imminent GHers to get permission for the subterfuge but in all cases found nobody home.

Updated grid to show Thompson to FGCU today. We have no additional visitors scheduled at this time. I get the sense that Ben and Co. are waiting to see how some things shake out over the next couple of weeks with others (Walton et al) before locking up anyone else.

I imagine that some of those who have visited are aware of this. I am surprised that I only have found McIntosh taking other visits. Seems like the others might be playing the waiting game? It would be hard to be in that position.

Updated grid to show Thompson to FGCU today. We have no additional visitors scheduled at this time. I get the sense that Ben and Co. are waiting to see how some things shake out over the next couple of weeks with others (Walton et al) before locking up anyone else.

I imagine that some of those who have visited are aware of this. I am surprised that I only have found McIntosh taking other visits. Seems like the others might be playing the waiting game? It would be hard to be in that position.
With the sheer numbers that have went into the portal there are going to be plenty that end up disappointed that their ideal offer didn't materialize. Some of these kids are taking a big risk entering the portal and may have left believing that the grass is greener and end up settling for a less desirable situation than they had before.

With the sheer numbers that have went into the portal there are going to be plenty that end up disappointed that their ideal offer didn't materialize. Some of these kids are taking a big risk entering the portal and may have left believing that the grass is greener and end up settling for a less desirable situation than they had before.
Or no offer at all. The darkest place in the portal is giving up something and getting nothing in return.

Top Bottom