Final NCAA Tournament Conference Report

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Final NCAA Tournament Conference Report (corrected)

Here's how the multiple-bid leagues measured up, with emphasis on how teams performed relative to their seed.

Big 10 (9-7, 56.3%)
4 played above their seed (MSU +2, Mich +1, Pur +1, Wis +1)
1 played to its seed (Minn)
2 played below their seed (Ill -1, OSU -1)
Final Ranking: +3

Big 12 (11-6, 64.7%)
2 teams played above their seed (Mizz +1, Tex A&M +1)
4 played to their seed (Kan, Ok, Ok St, Tex)
Final Ranking: +2

Pac 10 (6-6, 50%)
2 played above their seed (Az +2, USC +1)
2 played to their seed (ASU, UCLA)
2 played below their seed (Cal -1, Wash -1)
Final Ranking: +1

Atlantic 10 (3-3, 50%)
1 played above its seed (Day +1)
2 played to their seed (Temp, Xav)

Horizon (1-2, 33.3%)
1 played above its seed (Cle St +1)
1 played to its seed (But)

SEC (1-3, 25%)
3 played to their seed (LSU, Miss St, Tenn)
Final Ranking: 0

Mountain West (0-2, 0%)
2 played below their seed (BYU -1, Utah -1)
Final Ranking: -2

ACC (9-6, 60%)
2 played above their seed (NC +2, Md +1)
5 played below their seed (BC -1, Clem -1, Duke -1, FSU -1, WF -2)
Final Ranking: -3

Big East (17-7, 70.8%)
1 played above its seed (Vill +2)
3 played to their seed (Conn, Marq, Syr)
3 played below their seed (WV -1, Pitt -2, Lou -3)
Final Ranking: -4

If I'm following your scoring correctly, shouldn't both MSU and Nova be +2? MSU seeded to the Final 8 and made the championship game, and Nova seeded to the Sweet 16 made the F4.

Great work, as always.

Scoring ?

Could you explain your scoring to me, sorry about that. Louisville and Pitt both lost in the same round, but Louisville is a -3, while Pitt was a -2? How do they get "multiple" points? And shouldn't UCONN be a -1 for losing to MSU in the final 4?

Louisville was the #1 overall seed in the tournament. It fell 3 wins short of that expectation.

Pitt was the overall #2 seed. It fell 2 wins shy of reaching the championship game (its pre-tournament expectation).

UConn was the #4 overall seed. Even though they lost to a lower seeded team in the semifinals, the Huskies reached their expectation by advancing to the national semifinals.

Louisville was the #1 overall seed in the tournament. It fell 3 wins short of that expectation.

Pitt was the overall #2 seed. It fell 2 wins shy of reaching the championship game (its pre-tournament expectation).

UConn was the #4 overall seed. Even though they lost to a lower seeded team in the semifinals, the Huskies reached their expectation by advancing to the national semifinals.

SS - thanks, but I think this would be more "accurate", so to speak, if only the seeds are looked at. In other words, a 1 seed is expected to make the Final Four, a 2 seed the Final 8, 3 and 4 seeds the Sweet 16, etc. Looking at overall seeds (such as UL #1 and Pitt #2) really probably isn't a fair analysis - I think the best one could expect for either UL or Pitt would be the Final Four, as 1 seeds.

Top Bottom