Final five games...

Big Ten Mind

Reaction score
...realistic look at last five games:

@ Ohio State - loss - Pryor a mess but their D very solid

Michigan State - toss up but if they were to beat Iowa week prior could be real meaty

Illinois - should win as Zook is imploding despite highly ranked recruits

S. D. State - lay up win

@ Iowa - loss if Stanzi is healthy

That's 7-5 with MSU win/6-6 with MSU loss and 2010 being Brewster's last chance for a breakthough year

I wish that Purdue hadn't exposed them yet, if that could have waited for a week...

I think there is a possibility we go 4-1 in the last five. But we could just as easily go 2-3. Illinois and SD st. should be wins. Michigan St. is a toss up. Ohio St. will be tough after they just lost to Purdue. Iowa could be interesting. If they lose a few games before then, we should have a chance. If they somehow come into the game undefeated, I don't think we have much of a chance.

Its pretty simple to me:

A South Dakota loss would result in a Jonestown-type response from Brew's supporters and detractors alike - Much like the NDSU 1-point win did to Mason in 2006.

Illinois looks like the worst team the Big Ten has fielded in the past 5 years. Worse than our 1-11 2007 team and worse than either the 2005 or 2006 2-win Illini teams. An unexpected loss here would be totally unacceptable unless accompanied by an unexpected win (OSU or Iowa).

Michigan State: I think most people see our chances of winning this game somewhere between 40% and 60%. If we win, then people really need to get off the coaches backs. If we lose a competetive game, this board will melt down for 2 days but in the end, everyone will get over it. If we're embarrased, then we've got to decisively win the Pizza Bowl to go into 2010 with any fan confidence.

Ohio State & Iowa: Nobody was expecting/predicting wins over these teams 2 months ago, so no one should expect wins now. Versus OSU we really need to see at least a flicker of hope for our offense. Scoring 10 points or less, or would be very, very frustrating. Versus Iowa, we just need to erase the spectre of 0-55. We played them very hard in 2007 and I think that Brew just needs to get the guys fired up for battle.

Very apparent the MSU game is the key one if the Gophers want to get to 7-5. If Sparty beats Iowa this weekend -- a big if, I know -- they'll have legitimate hopes of a Big 10 title coming into TCF Bank, so that wouldn't make things any easier on Halloween Night.

OSU and Iowa are losses (though there's a chance vs. Iowa because it's a rivalry game), Illinois and South Dakota State are wins. If the Gophers lose to either Illinois or SDSU, that's not a good sign, as it looks like the Illini have already packed it in for the season.

2010 being Brewster's last chance for a breakthough year

I think we finish this year off and next year in the middle of the B10, this year we do not have top upperclassmen talent, and next year we will have that top talent on the field, however they will be young still.

2011 is Brew's year. All the work he has put in will be able to be judged yeh or nay after that year. I'm expecting 2011 to be a big year for the Gophs, if not, Maturi will have a tough decision on his hands.

South Dakota State leads the conference this year. We'll see how they do against Northern Iowa, but I don't see a "lay-up" on the schedule with our offense.

Here are my odds:

5-0 5% (possible though, every team beatable but we haven't shown an ability to beat better teams)
4-1 15% (odds go up dramatically with a win in Columbus and go down dramatically with a loss)
3-2 25% (MSU is key. We can and should beat them at home).
2-3 40% (Most likely scenario)
1-4 14% (Fire Brewster reaches epic level- very lousy end to season)
0-5 1% (Brewster fired)

Illinois scares me more than they should and MSU and Iowa less than they should.

MSU & OSU are the only games that should be discussed, as they are the difference between 6-6 & 8-4.

I think we finish this year off and next year in the middle of the B10, this year we do not have top upperclassmen talent, and next year we will have that top talent on the field, however they will be young still.

2011 is Brew's year. All the work he has put in will be able to be judged yeh or nay after that year. I'm expecting 2011 to be a big year for the Gophs, if not, Maturi will have a tough decision on his hands.

That's the way I look at it. In 2011 Brew's first 'real' recruiting class will be seniors. Right now his recruits are freshmen, sophomores or red-shirt freshmen.

Here are my odds:

5-0 5% (possible though, every team beatable but we haven't shown an ability to beat better teams)
4-1 15% (odds go up dramatically with a win in Columbus and go down dramatically with a loss)
3-2 25% (MSU is key. We can and should beat them at home).
2-3 40% (Most likely scenario)
1-4 14% (Fire Brewster reaches epic level- very lousy end to season)
0-5 1% (Brewster fired)

Illinois scares me more than they should and MSU and Iowa less than they should.

5-0: 1%
4-1: 9%
3-2: 20%
2-3: 50%
1-4: 19%
0-5: 1%

6 W's is where I thought we would be and that is the most likely scenerio. Will it be good enough to get to a toilet bowl?

Do this many people really think MSU is a likely loss?? C'mon...

I think that's premature. You need to give him two full classes at minimum to really gauge the direction of the program, and we all agree you have to throw the first two classes out due to the state of the program. So hopefully by 2012 we'll have some idea, but we should really reserve judgment until 2016.

Do this many people really think MSU is a likely loss?? C'mon...

They're playing awfully well right now. A good showing against Iowa and there is definitely reason to see a tough one there. But I'm hoping the prime time, hopefully hyped up crowd, and just being back at home after two tough road games will be enough to fuel the team to a win.

They're playing awfully well right now. A good showing against Iowa and there is definitely reason to see a tough one there. But I'm hoping the prime time, hopefully hyped up crowd, and just being back at home after two tough road games will be enough to fuel the team to a win.

Losing at OSU, makes the MSU game HUGE. Bigger than it already is. Sure we could still end up at 6-6, but losing three in a row ends the season imo.

They better get things figured out fast!

2-3 is a definate possibility.

4-2 is reasonable, but they need to get serious quick.

5-1, would blow me away, and Brewster would buy himself his extension. Heck, I'd chip in.

My preseason prediction had us losing to OSU and Iowa, and losing one of the two reamining B10 home games. And of course winning against SD. Illinois is imploding but plenty of time for them to get their *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# together, they are still talented. MSU is gaining mo, looking tougher to me. Iowa not a chance, we don't match up well. In fact I like our chances against OSU much better. If our offense had any life right now I'd give us about a 40% chance at that one. But it's not so I won't.

2-3 with a finish of 6-6.

Schnoodler, even you are picking us to lose to Michigan State? That might mean it's time for me to be concerned. That said, that's a home game, should be a great atmosphere on Halloween, there should be very few Spartan fans that make it here, it's important for the Gophers to play competitively against Ohio State this week for at least a half.

However, Michigan State is still a very erratic team and I like the Gophers chances in that one. I say Minnesota finishes 7-5 (4-4) conference.

That said, SDSU is tougher than we think they are, so I wouldn't put that in the lay up column just yet. Illinois looks awful but I'm still glad that game is at home.

Who knows? maybe the Gophers win on Saturday and suddenly 8 wins becomes a possibility once again.

I think that's premature. You need to give him two full classes at minimum to really gauge the direction of the program, and we all agree you have to throw the first two classes out due to the state of the program. So hopefully by 2012 we'll have some idea, but we should really reserve judgment until 2016.

:D :D :D

I wish that Purdue hadn't exposed them yet, if that could have waited for a week...

I disagree - Purdue put doubt and frustration in their heads. They'd have had none without that, and cruised to an easy victory. They may attempt to overplay next game, which can be just as bad as not playing hard enough.

Schnoodler, even you are picking us to lose to Michigan State? That might mean it's time for me to be concerned. That said, that's a home game, should be a great atmosphere on Halloween, there should be very few Spartan fans that make it here, it's important for the Gophers to play competitively against Ohio State this week for at least a half.

However, Michigan State is still a very erratic team and I like the Gophers chances in that one. I say Minnesota finishes 7-5 (4-4) conference.

That said, SDSU is tougher than we think they are, so I wouldn't put that in the lay up column just yet. Illinois looks awful but I'm still glad that game is at home.

Who knows? maybe the Gophers win on Saturday and suddenly 8 wins becomes a possibility once again.

mostly i'm picking us to lose/win one of the two. we're not a model of cosistency yet either.

Top Bottom