Final College Football Rankings

Not unreasonable, and as much as I hate to say it ranking Wisconsin ahead of us is fair.
Yeah wisconsin has zero bad losses MN has two.

Wisconsin 2-1 vs Iowa Purdue MN
Mn 2-1 vs WI, Purdue, Iowa
Iowa 1-2 beat Penn state but no bad loss
Purdue 1-2 but beat Michigan state no bad loss

I would rate these teams based on resume:
1) WI
2) MN
3) PU
4) Iowa

I would rate these teams based on how good they are at the end
1) MN
2) WI
3) Purdue
4) Iowa

The AP rated them:
23) iowa
27) wi
28) Mn
29) PU

Fair. The only team far out of place is Iowa IMO

they still are flying high off people thinking Indiana and Iowa state were good at the beginning of the year. Their resume isn’t better than the others.

Not much respect, based on stuff I am seeing today. Beating Wisconsin and beating them on tiebreaker for second place in the West still resulted in Wisconsin getting a better bowl and final ranking.

and, I saw Vegas odds for next year have the Gophers tied for second-to-last in the B1G with Illinois (only ahead of Rutgers) for winning the championship.

Also nowhere to be seen in ESPN’s way too early 2022 top 25, although Purdue is there.

Can one loss to Bowling Green affect perceptions for multiple YEARS?

Not much respect, based on stuff I am seeing today. Beating Wisconsin and beating them on tiebreaker for second place in the West still resulted in Wisconsin getting a better bowl and final ranking.

and, I saw Vegas odds for next year have the Gophers tied for second-to-last in the B1G with Illinois (only ahead of Rutgers) for winning the championship.

Also nowhere to be seen in ESPN’s way too early 2022 top 25, although Purdue is there.

No but losses to Illinois AND bowling green combined with zero top 25 wins probably doesn’t get you top 25 most years

You can't just pluck two teams out of the rankings and try to use head to head. If that were the case you would have to rank Wisconsin ahead of us in 2019, even though we had the better overall resume.

You can't just pluck two teams out of the rankings and try to use head to head. If that were the case you would have to rank Wisconsin ahead of us in 2019, even though we had the better overall resume.
I didn’t do that. Read again. I mentioned head to head BUT ALSO referenced the Gophers finishing ahead of the Badgers with the tiebreaker in Conf standings.

I didn’t do that. Read again. I mentioned head to head BUT ALSO referenced the Gophers finishing ahead of the Badgers with the tiebreaker in Conf standings.
Well head to head matchups are largely what influences those conference standings, which aren't really relevant to national rankings anyway.

We are still firmly in the prove it territory and fighting perceptions from far more than just the Bowling Green game. Program was so far off the National radar for a long long time. We got back in the picture some with 2019 then Covid hit and erased some of that. 2021 was a nice year but doesn't have the high profile wins that really get attention.

It is what it is, we need a sustained run of success to wipe away 50+ years of futility and being irrelevant to most of the college football world. We are chipping away but it will take time.

I guess you still consider Iowa the number 2 team in the country then?
What are you saying? You said the Gophers had zero ranked wins, which is false. Not sure how you can spin that in a different way? The Gophers had a win over a ranked team.

What are you saying? You said the Gophers had zero ranked wins, which is false. Not sure how you can spin that in a different way? The Gophers had a win over a ranked team.
They have zero wins over teams that are currently ranked

they have zero wins over ranked teams

not sure how you can spin it a different way?
They had a win over a team that was ranked but after the results came in weren’t? Impressive

They have zero wins over teams that are currently ranked

they have zero wins over ranked teams

not sure how you can spin it a different way?
They had a win over a team that was ranked but after the results came in weren’t? Impressive
Well, this isn’t how it works and I’m surprised you don’t know that. You can certainly make up your own rules which you have done here, but your rules don’t match how this is done when history notes are made regarding wins and losses with ranked teams.

if you had simply said the Gophers didn’t have any wins over teams that were ranked at the end of the year, and left it at that… no problem. But instead you said the Gophers didn’t have any wins over ranked teams which is an incorrect statement. Go ahead and double/triple down on your wrong statement but it is still wrong.

Ironically Purdue and for sure Wisconsin would be in the final top 25 IF THE GOPHERS HADNT BEATEN THEM.

Well, this isn’t how it works and I’m surprised you don’t know that. You can certainly make up your own rules which you have done here, but your rules don’t match how this is done when history notes are made regarding wins and losses with ranked teams.

if you had simply said the Gophers didn’t have any wins over teams that were ranked at the end of the year, and left it at that… no problem. But instead you said the Gophers didn’t have any wins over ranked teams which is an incorrect statement. Go ahead and double/triple down on your wrong statement but it is still wrong.

Ironically Purdue and for sure Wisconsin would be in the final top 25 IF THE GOPHERS HADNT BEATEN THEM.
This isn’t how what works? This isn’t an official proceeding. There aren’t rules for “how it works”

The gophers have beaten zero teams that ended in the top 25. Which is how you evaluate quality wins at the end of the year.

Yeah the gophers beat a team in the top 25 at the time of the game.

do you honestly think the time of the game is a better representation of quality wins?

If that is the case no wonder Iowa is ranked higher…3 top 25 wins and 2 top 10 wins
(17 Indiana, 9 Iowa state, 4 Penn state)

if that is the case wisconsin should be rated higher.
beat ranked Purdue, Iowa,
Only one unranked loss to Minnesota since they lost to ranked Penn state.

purdue probably should be ranked ahead of Mn too
Beat number 2 and number 3
Lost to two unranked, #4 and #12

if you want to use the rankings from the times of the game there is even a worse case for Minnesota to be ranked.

sorry, whether you want them to be or not, wisconsin isn’t a top 25 win

This isn’t how what works? This isn’t an official proceeding. There aren’t rules for “how it works”

The gophers have beaten zero teams that ended in the top 25. Which is how you evaluate quality wins at the end of the year.

Yeah the gophers beat a team in the top 25 at the time of the game.

do you honestly think the time of the game is a better representation of quality wins?

If that is the case no wonder Iowa is ranked higher…3 top 25 wins and 2 top 10 wins
(17 Indiana, 9 Iowa state, 4 Penn state)

if that is the case wisconsin should be rated higher.
beat ranked Purdue, Iowa,
Only one unranked loss to Minnesota since they lost to ranked Penn state.

purdue probably should be ranked ahead of Mn too
Beat number 2 and number 3
Lost to two unranked, #4 and #12

if you want to use the rankings from the times of the game there is even a worse case for Minnesota to be ranked.

sorry, whether you want them to be or not, wisconsin isn’t a top 25 win
It is now crystal clear that you literally don’t know what a ranked win is. Any time any broadcast or media story refers to wins over ranked teams, they are referring to the ranking when the game is played. Otherwise few would likely ever have a top 1 or even top 5 win because that win usually dooms the highly ranked opponent to a lower ranking by year’s end.

We can debate if Iowa should have been ranked #2 earlier in the season. That’s subjective. What can’t be debated is Purdue had a win over a top 5 team when they beat Iowa. They did. Beating a ranked team means you beat them while they ranked. The Gophers had a ranked win when they beat Wisconsin. That is a fact.

It is now crystal clear that you literally don’t know what a ranked win is. Any time any broadcast or media story refers to wins over ranked teams, they are referring to the ranking when the game is played. Otherwise few would likely ever have a top 1 or even top 5 win because that win usually dooms the highly ranked opponent to a lower ranking by year’s end.

We can debate if Iowa should have been ranked #2 earlier in the season. That’s subjective. What can’t be debated is Purdue had a win over a top 5 team when they beat Iowa. They did. Beating a ranked team means you beat them while they ranked. The Gophers had a ranked win when they beat Wisconsin. That is a fact.
The gophers don’t have a win over a currently ranked team. Which is a fact

You are talking about something different than I am.

The gophers don’t have a win over a currently ranked team. Which is a fact

You are talking about something different than I am.
We are talking about something different now, yes. But you hadn’t made the clarification on “currently ranked” when this started, and that is why you were wrong.

if you are still unclear what a ranked win or loss is, I suggest you take it up with the rest of the college football world, as most all would disagree with your original take in the same way I did, and I have grown tired of watching you double down on your original incorrect point. You can start with the authors of this:

Fair ranking that represented an up and down season that was more up than down. I'm walking away feeling better about the program than I have in my lifetime.
  • Finished AP's #28 team (on votes received).
  • Beat #27 and #29
  • Went 5-2 against bowl eligible teams (another metric for success against solid teams)
  • Would probably be favored in matchups with a handful of top 25 teams...and I'm guessing would play within 10 points of most teams outside the top 5 or so.
  • Numerous players in postseason all-star games
  • Numerous players expected to be drafted

We are talking about something different now, yes. But you hadn’t made the clarification on “currently ranked” when this started, and that is why you were wrong.

if you are still unclear what a ranked win or loss is, I suggest you take it up with the rest of the college football world, as most all would disagree with your original take in the same way I did, and I have grown tired of watching you double down on your original incorrect point. You can start with the authors of this:

I was talking about right now the whole time. I was talking about how to rank the 4 big ten west terms at the end of the year. The gophers have zero wins against top 25 teams (currently)

then I went down the rabbit hole with you because I thought you were saying that that is a bad measure. But you were just debating my wording. So now I’ve stopped debating you because I don’t think we disagree with each other

Kinda where I figured we'd be. I even figured they'd put Wisconsin ahead of us.
Cincinnati ahead of Ohio State - ridiculous. Gophers, Badgers, Purdue not in top 25 - equally ridiculous.

Cincinnati ahead of Ohio State - ridiculous. Gophers, Badgers, Purdue not in top 25 - equally ridiculous.
Cinci over Ohio state makes a lot of sense when you consider voters had them higher going in and they lost to a really good team. Not sure how one could justify Ohio state over Michigan all things considered.

I would pick Ohio state. Cincinnati had the better season. What are we ranking?
If we are just ranking most talented teams we should just put LSU and Texas A&M in the top 5 too

Cinci over Ohio state makes a lot of sense when you consider voters had them higher going in and they lost to a really good team. Not sure how one could justify Ohio state over Michigan all things considered.

I would pick Ohio state. Cincinnati had the better season. What are we ranking?
If we are just ranking most talented teams we should just put LSU and Texas A&M in the top 5 too
Plus Ohio State's loss to Oregon (at home) looks worse the way the Ducks finished the season.

Top Bottom