FieldTurf

wait!what?

Reaction score
Field Turf vs Real Turf. Aside from upkeep, does anyone know why Field turf(fake) was selected over real turf for TCF?

Please tell me you are kidding.
I want you to sit down and think about this for a moment all by yourself. Maybe get a pencil and paper out and do a little Pro's vs. Con's list.

yep, that is what I figured, dollars.
A lot of folks who are walking around the stadium are asking if the grass is real. I think most people equated outdoors stadium = real grass.

yep, that is what I figured, dollars.
A lot of folks who are walking around the stadium are asking if the grass is real. I think most people equated outdoors stadium = real grass.

Most people are dumb.

Band can practice there. Intramurals can play there. Concerts can be held there.

Anyone that's been to game at Indiana in late October/early November should be celebrating it's not real grass at TCF.

There is more to it than dollars. The advent of field turf (and close competitors) has allowed the injury factor to go away (compared to the old astroturf style carpets). It is replacing grass at a faster rate because the field holds up better under rain or cold. It can be used by far more activities because it doesn't need to be pampered like grass. The majority of the Big 10 now uses it (Iowa is switching to it this year) and it is also common even in places like the MIAC (Gustavus, St. Johns, etc.). It simply can hold more events, later into the fall.

As RRSUM suggested... if people are wandering around the stadium wondering why it isn't grass, they haven't been tuned into college football north of the mason dixon line over the past 10 years.

Band can practice there. Intramurals can play there. Concerts can be held there.

Anyone that's been to game at Indiana in late October/early November should be celebrating it's not real grass at TCF.

Ironically, Indiana is now Field Turf too. Purdue is a grass holdout though.

Intramurals will be on the field every night. Too much wear and tear from that.

Band, Phy Ed, Intramurals will be on the field in addition to football so FieldTurf was the best option for mulitiple uses.

They're using TCF for intramurals? Every night? I find that hard to believe. How do they decide which teams get to play there?

I could believe that they'd use it for championships, but every night? Doubtful.

They're using TCF for intramurals? Every night? I find that hard to believe. How do they decide which teams get to play there?

I could believe that they'd use it for championships, but every night? Doubtful.

You're being contrary in a thread again? Another one? I find that hard to believe. How do you decide which threads to snivel in?

Band will practice there, which would be enough to damn near destroy a grass field. Glad it's FieldTurf.

Yes, the band alone would destroy regular grass. Could they have been housed in the stadium and practice elsewhere if the U went with real grass? Sure, but that would defeat the point. Also, others have posted correctly - intramurals, graduations, concerts, and the fact that FieldTurf holds up better in our weather without the expense/man hours are all taken in to consideration.

Intramural hockey games are played in Mariucci, why wouldn't flag football make it at the stadium? I doubt EVERY game will be there - considering the band will be on it until at least 6 pm every night, and paying for lights every night would be spendy. However, I would assume a rotating basis could be used, and the entire flag football (or whatever) playoffs would be held there. Also think of other events during HC week or Spring Jam.

If the U is smart (in my opinion), this stadium should be as accessible to students as possible. Making them feel like it is used for them and not just the football team 6-7 Saturdays a year will be great for student support. Obviously don't leave the thing unlocked or anything, but host as many events there as possible.

You're being contrary in a thread again? Another one? I find that hard to believe. How do you decide which threads to snivel in?

I've really gotten into your head, haven't I?

What are you still doing here? Haven't yet gotten off to your fantastic vacation about which nobody gives a sh*t?

Obviously don't leave the thing unlocked or anything, but host as many events there as possible.

I wonder if anyone has tried to sneak in at night and do the nasty on the 50. Fieldturf is way easier on the knees than any other surface. :)

What are you still doing here? Haven't yet gotten off to your fantastic vacation about which nobody gives a sh*t?

The pull down menu at the top called "Forum Tools" should have a link to your name.

I wonder if anyone has tried to sneak in at night and do the nasty on the 50. Fieldturf is way easier on the knees than any other surface. :)

Yeah but on fieldturf, then you get the little rubber pellets where you don't want them. Nobody wants that.:D

The pull down menu at the top called "Forum Tools" should have a link to your name.

I am proud to say I have never once visited an opposing team's message board.

6-0
18-11
59-51-8

Well, I got my answers re: Field turf over real turf. Thanks!

(just trying to head off another gold shirt sh7tstorm)

I am proud to say I have never once visited an opposing team's message board.

6-0
18-11
59-51-8

I am proud to say that I have met some wonderful people...how is it that you refer to it?.... oh yeah... IRL, with whom I first became acquainted by posting on other Internet sports boards (this one included). You are this Board's version of Eeyore.

I apologize to the rest of the Board for feeding the wildlife. This will be my last time with this A$$.

eeyore.jpg

Real grass would not be able to survive that long into the season in Minneapolis. An example is the grass at Lambeau Field dies in November. They actually need to dye the field green so it looks nice on TV. They are also experimenting with a synthetic/natural hybrid field. Every 100 blades of grass, a synthetic one is stitched 6 inches into the turf. The roots of the grass grow around it and make the turf stronger, and hopefully the field will last longer.....

Having played football on both surfaces I prefer field turf.

My "fantastic vacation" will be the ones I take on September 19th and October 3rd, where I fully confirm what I already know: you're a sally who won't show his face "IRL".

My "fantastic vacation" will be the ones I take on September 19th and October 3rd, where I fully confirm what I already know: you're a sally who won't show his face "IRL".

More threats. Fantastic.

Sorry that I don't live my life picking fights with nameless, faceless people on the internet so that I can have hopes of meeting someone in person and beating them up like the tough guy that I am.

And I can honestly say I never in my life typed "IRL" before I did the other day. And I never will again. I tried it out, so people run with it and think I'm some type of 4chan spaz. I don't know what I was thinking. Lesson learned.

(I honestly don't know what's any worse about that than the hundreds of other acronyms people use on this board, but whatever.)

froggopher

I wonder if they will ever schedule any music events at the TCF Bank stadium?
Sure would be kind of fun to see something like that!:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I wonder if they will ever schedule any music events at the TCF Bank stadium?
Sure would be kind of fun to see something like that!:clap::clap::clap::clap:

It might be hard since Ticketmaster probably has some sort of binding contracts with Target Center and Excel, but it would be a nice change for concert goers in the Cities to hear songs with outdoor acoustics versus inside a concrete structure.

It might be hard since Ticketmaster probably has some sort of binding contracts with Target Center and Excel, but it would be a nice change for concert goers in the Cities to hear songs with outdoor acoustics versus inside a concrete structure.

If such a contract prohibited booking concerts at TCF, that would be a decent restraint of trade case. There will be other entertainment events booked there. It would be irresponsible from a debt service standpoint not to.

Top Bottom