Field of 68 Projection: Good Week For Non-Power 6 Conferences, At-Large Bids Increase From 5 to 7

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
It was a good week for non-Power 6 conferences, as their number of at-large bids in our weekly Field of 68 projection increased from 5 to 7. The Atlantic Ten and Mountain West were the biggest beneficiaries. Both now check in with 3 bids with the additions of Saint Bonaventure (A-10 automatic bid) and Utah State (Mountain West at-large).

This week’s projection has 13 new teams. The Big Ten drops from last week's season-high of 11 bids to 10, as Maryland joins the field, but Michigan State and Northwestern drop out.

An * denotes the leader in a multiple-bid conference or -- in the event of a standings tie -- the team with the best NET ranking (noted in parentheses).

FIELD OF 68 PROJECTION (through games played Jan. 17)
America East (1): UMBC (150)

American (2): *Houston (6), Wichita State (55)

ACC (6): *Virginia (10), Clemson (31), Louisville (35), Virginia Tech (38), Florida State (40), North Carolina (54)

ASUN (1): Jacksonville (280)

Atlantic 10 (3): Saint Louis (15), Richmond (58), *Saint Bonaventure (59)

Big East (6): *Villanova (8), Creighton (23), UConn (24), Xavier (39), Seton Hall (51), Marquette (65)

Big Sky (1): Montana State (175)

Big South (1): Winthrop (50)

Big Ten (10): *Iowa (4), Michigan (5), Illinois (9), Wisconsin (16), Ohio State (20), Minnesota (28), Purdue (34), Maryland (41), Rutgers (47), Indiana (56)

Big XII (6): *Baylor (1), Texas (12), Texas Tech (14), Kansas (21), West Virginia (26), Oklahoma (33)

Big West (1): UC-Irvine (143)

Colonial (1): Northeastern (134)

Conference USA (2): *UAB (68), Western Kentucky (91)

Horizon (1): Cleveland State (151)

MAAC (1): Siena (88)

MAC (1): Toledo (64)

MEAC (1): North Carolina A&T (313)

Missouri Valley (1): Drake (11)

Mountain West (3): *Boise State (17), Utah State (43), San Diego State (44)

NEC (1): Bryant (96)

OVC (1): Belmont (95)

Pac 12 (4): Colorado (7), USC (18), Oregon (27), *UCLA (29)

Patriot (1): Navy (110)

SEC (4): Tennessee (3), *Alabama (19), LSU (22), Missouri (25)

SoCon (1): Furman (49)

Southland (1): Sam Houston State (146)

SWAC (1): Southern U (218)

Summit (1): South Dakota (179)

Sun Belt (1): Texas State (136)

WCC (2): *Gonzaga (2), BYU (32)

WAC (1): Utah Valley (202)

First 4 Out: VCU (45), Pitt (48), Tulsa (66), Michigan State (83)

8 to Watch: Arkansas (36), Florida (46), Colorado State (52), Loyola-Chicago (58), Stanford (62), NC State (72), Georgia Tech (75), Duke (93)

Non-Power 6 At-Large Bids (7): Saint Louis (15), BYU (32), Utah State (43), San Diego State (44), Richmond (53), Wichita State (55), Western Kentucky (91)

Non-Power 6 Representation Percentage: 47.1%

Out With The Old (13): Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Coastal Carolina, Florida, Grand Canyon, Liberty, Michigan State, NC State, North Dakota State, Northwestern, Southern Utah, Stanford, Stony Brook, Tulsa

In With The New (13): Jacksonville, Marquette, Maryland, Montana State, Saint Bonaventure, South Dakota, Southern U, Texas State, UMBC, Utah State, Utah Valley, Virginia, Western Kentucky

My Preseason Final 4: Gonzaga, Kentucky, Michigan State, Virginia

National Champion: Gonzaga

NEXT PROJECTION: Saturday. Jan. 23/Sunday, Jan. 24

Last edited:

Selection Sunday, I notice that u dont have Michigan State in the field. Palm and Lunardi both have the spartans in which makes no sense to me. Just wondering your thoughts on this. Are u looking at including MSU in your next update? Is the bubble so weak that this might make sense? Thanks

Selection Sunday, I notice that u dont have Michigan State in the field. Palm and Lunardi both have the spartans in which makes no sense to me. Just wondering your thoughts on this. Are u looking at including MSU in your next update? Is the bubble so weak that this might make sense? Thanks
I have MSU just barely on the outside looking in, and that’s with only one win (Rutgers) vs. teams I currently have projected into the field. Duke win is OK, but doesn’t really move the needle much at this point. I’d say bubble is fairly soft so far. It’s possible they’ll be back in my next projection (Sunday morning) in part because my “last 4 in” is having a rough week.

Big W for Colorado St at Utah St. Medved has himself a squad. Great opportunities with Boise heading to Ft Collins for a pair of games.

Big W for Colorado St at Utah St. Medved has himself a squad. Great opportunities with Boise heading to Ft Collins for a pair of games.

Is Mountain West doing the back to back hockey scheduling as a matter of course, or is one a make up game?

Saw the second half after dozing near the end of the Indiana game. Colorado State looked good. Couldn't help but envision as the battle between possible future Gopher coaches. Was broken hearted that announcers called Dick Bennet one of Medved's models.

Is Mountain West doing the back to back hockey scheduling as a matter of course, or is one a make up game?

The entire MW schedule is 2 game sets, yes just like the NHL.

Saw the second half after dozing near the end of the Indiana game. Colorado State looked good. Couldn't help but envision as the battle between possible future Gopher coaches. Was broken hearted that announcers called Dick Bennet one of Medved's models.
Other conferences doing it too. It's leading to a lot more upsets. It's really hard to beat a team two games in a row, as we found out.

Next Field of 68 projection coming late tomorrow (Saturday) night or early Sunday morning.

You should hear Dave Thorson talk about him or Bob Knight or Pitino's father or anyone else who watched what he could build and what he left behind. Those clinics and practices are legendary in coaching circles.

Top Bottom