Ferentz will never reach 9 wins again

SoMplsHawkI

Reaction score
"I'm anticipating a multiple-page historical data regression about how this post is wrong."

Nope, just going to point to the scorebard. (And I bet you're really not all that handsome.):D

Of course, starting next year, he'll have 16 games

When he is coaching the Browns:p

Can't wait to see what Iowa turns into when he leaves that program. He IS the program.

Can't wait to see what Iowa turns into when he leaves that program. He IS the program.

Let's not get too carried away. Hayden Fry left him a program that had been to three Rose Bowls in the previous 17 years (more than Ohio State), 14 bowls overall, and was ranked in the top ten two seasons before Ferentz took over. Hayden Fry was Barry Alvarez before Barry Alvarez was Barry Alvarez. Iowa is paying Ferentz almost $3 million per season, so they will attract a quality replacement should Ferentz move on to the National Football League.

And I remember Handsome Pete's claim earlier in the fall that Ferentz would never win 9 games again. I think they will be a Big Ten title contender next year.

Is it just me or do other people also not give a f- about Iowa? They aren't even our primary rival.

Is it just me or do other people also not give a f- about Iowa? They aren't even our primary rival.

1) They were our primary rival throughout the 80s when Wisconsin was a non-factor.

2) Many still consider them a more hated rival than Wisconsin. I mean we do have a "Who Hates Iowa" chant, right? That - in and of itself - leads me to believe that people do give a f- about Iowa.

3) From about Mankato south, they ARE the primary rival. Ask someone from Rochester or Worthington or Austin.

4) And, it seems there have been enough posts about the Hawkeyes on here that people are paying attention to them.

So, yes, it might just be you:)

"I'm anticipating a multiple-page historical data regression about how this post is wrong."

Nope, just going to point to the scorebard. (And I bet you're really not all that handsome.):D

Iowa went 8-4 this year. Hope this helps.

Actually, Iowa went 9-4 this year. Hope this helps.

To the rational Gopher fans, I think that young Gopher O-Line will be great in a couple of years.

Actually, Iowa went 9-4 this year. Hope this helps.

To the rational Gopher fans, I think that young Gopher O-Line will be great in a couple of years.

This person must be the product of Iowa schools. In Minnesota, sir, 3 non-conference wins + 5 conference wins = 8. Hope this helps.

PS- why do Iowans have such an inferiority complex about their team? Is it because Iowa has no football tradition?

1) They were our primary rival throughout the 80s when Wisconsin was a non-factor.

2) Many still consider them a more hated rival than Wisconsin. I mean we do have a "Who Hates Iowa" chant, right? That - in and of itself - leads me to believe that people do give a f- about Iowa.

3) From about Mankato south, they ARE the primary rival. Ask someone from Rochester or Worthington or Austin.

4) And, it seems there have been enough posts about the Hawkeyes on here that people are paying attention to them.

So, yes, it might just be you:)

There are a lot of Iowa posts because their trolls come on here and write things like the originator of this post.

Wisconsin is a better rivalry to Minnesota because

1) Reciprocity between the states creates a greater tie (High school friends become rivals whereas Iowa fans are faceless to me and most Minnesota fans).

2) It's the longest running rivalry in college football.

3) They play football, basketball, and hockey which are the three most important sports to Minnesota.

4) There are more Wisconsin alumni making their home in Minnesota than Iowans.

And when I say I don't give a F- about Iowa it means that I just laugh at an Iowa troll that comes on our board and want to talk sh-t. I am however beginning to think that they may have the most obnoxious fans in the Big 10.

To clarify - if you count bowl games as part of "the year", Iowa went 9 - 4...3 non-conference wins; 5 conference wins and one bowl game win. They did go 8 - 4 in the regular season.

Love the Iowa trolls that come to the big city after college, total little man's complex. You can always pick them out because they drive Pontiac Grand Prixs with with Hawkeye stickers on them.

There are a lot of Iowa posts because their trolls come on here and write things like the originator of this post.

Wisconsin is a better rivalry to Minnesota because

1) Reciprocity between the states creates a greater tie (High school friends become rivals whereas Iowa fans are faceless to me and most Minnesota fans).

3) They play football, basketball, and hockey which are the three most important sports to Minnesota.

And when I say I don't give a F- about Iowa it means that I just laugh at an Iowa troll that comes on our board and want to talk sh-t. I am however beginning to think that they may have the most obnoxious fans in the Big 10.

Laugh away, Lucy. I was just giving "Handsome" Pete a little jab. You don't have to read my posts.

Agree.

Can't argue.

Again, can't argue.

Not sure about this one. My anecdotal experience has me running into many more Iowa alums than Bucky alums, but again, I have no way to know for sure.

Overall, I'm not arguing that Wisconsin is a bigger rivalry now. It is. Certainly in the Twin Cities. But, you get to Southern Minnesota and Iowa is the team to hate. And, as I mentioned, we don't chant "Who Hates Wisconsin?". Heck, we chant "Who Hates Iowa" during Wisconsin games. So, I wouldn't classify Iowa as some team that no one gives a f- about. That's all. No biggie.

Love the Iowa trolls that come to the big city after college, total little man's complex. You can always pick them out because they drive Pontiac Grand Prixs with with Hawkeye stickers on them.

How about the SUVs with the spare tire cover that says, "Iowan by birth, Hawkeye by the grace of God". Or some such. :rolleyes:

as much as i would love to see IA never get back to 9 wins, i am not so confident. my hunch is that they will be a dark horse to finish 2 or 3 in BT next year. and i make that prediction fully knowing that Greene is gone.

but that is just my late night thoughts.

I just don't understand how they got so much better over the course of the year.

Iowa was terrible in Weeks 3-6. Ferentz was on a lot of people's "hot seat" lists. Now he's on the short list for several NFL head coching jobs.

I just don't understand how they got so much better over the course of the year.

Iowa was terrible in Weeks 3-6.

The coaching staff's decision to swap out Christensen for Stanzi wholesale had as much to do with that as anything. JC simply couldn't get the job done. Stanzi had a brief rough patch, producing some turnovers his first few starts, but progressed very nicely to round out the season. The kid can just flat out throw and has no fear...nice touch, great vision, very nice accuracy throwing the deep ball. All things that JC lacked, not to mention an extra five inches in height and arguably superior scrambling ability. I'm anxious to see his progression next year, and the receiving corps should be in much better shape than it was this year. Deeper talent and more experience among the starters.

The biggest holes that Iowa has to fill in '09 are RB, which is less of a problem than most perceive, and DT, for which there is sufficient depth and talent.

Ferentz was on a lot of people's "hot seat" lists. Now he's on the short list for several NFL head coching jobs.

Welcome to 2002, 2003, 2004...you get the idea. Iowa fans gets a bit jumpy this time of year for precisely that reason, though I don't anticipate KF leaving until after 2012 for a number of reasons.

Sorry about you bowl loss to KU, but the Gophs have a bright future ahead. I'm very much looking forward to attending games in the new stadium next year. I am not a fan by any means, but the wife is an alum (along with her entire extended family) and I insisted that we purchase season tickets. She has enjoyed Iowa home games enough that she emphatically agreed. Great that you will (again) have your own open air stadium.

Agree.

Can't argue.

Again, can't argue.

Not sure about this one. My anecdotal experience has me running into many more Iowa alums than Bucky alums, but again, I have no way to know for sure.

Overall, I'm not arguing that Wisconsin is a bigger rivalry now. It is. Certainly in the Twin Cities. But, you get to Southern Minnesota and Iowa is the team to hate. And, as I mentioned, we don't chant "Who Hates Wisconsin?". Heck, we chant "Who Hates Iowa" during Wisconsin games. So, I wouldn't classify Iowa as some team that no one gives a f- about. That's all. No biggie.

I'm not saying Iowa isn't our #2 rivalry, it is, but I think an Iowa troll coming on here after they win a bowl game is ridiculous and I really don't care. At other times of the year I may care but when you come on during bowl season to brag about winning, my general thoughts are that I couldn't care less. It's not that I don't F- about Iowa in total, but I don't give an F- about an Iowa coming on here to brag about winning. Stay to your own board where people care.

Who hates Wisconsin doesn't have the same ring because it has more syllables.

LMAO. I miss the days when one could identify the well to do Iowans by their IROC or Camaro's and the middle class with their Sunfire's.

Who hates Wisconsin doesn't have the same ring because it has more syllables.

Lol. Sorry for the trolls, grunkiejr. Truth be told, virtually all Iowa fans were pulling for a Gopher win against KU. The realists among us are aware that USC wasn't an appropriate matchup for Iowa in the bowls. Shift those matchups around slightly and the BigTen could very well have a couple more wins, at least.

Lol. Sorry for the trolls, grunkiejr. Truth be told, virtually all Iowa fans were pulling for a Gopher win against KU. The realists among us are aware that USC wasn't an appropriate matchup for Iowa in the bowls. Shift those matchups around slightly and the BigTen could very well have a couple more wins, at least.

Clearly the Big 10 would have looked better if Oregon State beat Oregon which would have put USC in the Fiesta Bowl vs. Texas and would have kept OSU from making a BCS bowl.

Rose: PSU vs. Oregon State - PSU favorite
Capital One: Ohio State vs. Georgia - OSU favorite
Outback: Michigan State vs. South Carolina - MSU favorite
Alamo: Iowa vs. Missouri - I'm not sure who Vegas would favor but I'd take Iowa
Champs: NU vs. FSU - FSU favorite but I'm sure it would be a better game than we saw
Insight: Wisconsin vs. Kansas - I'd pick Kansas to win, too much speed for Wisconsin
Motor City: Minnesota vs. Central Michigan - Considering we beat FAU 37-3 and FAU beat Central Michigan I think Minnesota has to be the favorite.

If you change one regular season outcome so that everyone doesn't play up a game and the Big Ten is probably 5-2 in bowl match ups instead of a likely 1-6 showing.

Clearly the Big 10 would have looked better if Oregon State beat Oregon which would have put USC in the Fiesta Bowl vs. Texas and would have kept OSU from making a BCS bowl.

Rose: PSU vs. Oregon State - PSU favorite
Capital One: Ohio State vs. Georgia - OSU favorite
Outback: Michigan State vs. South Carolina - MSU favorite
Alamo: Iowa vs. Missouri - I'm not sure who Vegas would favor but I'd take Iowa
Champs: NU vs. FSU - FSU favorite but I'm sure it would be a better game than we saw
Insight: Wisconsin vs. Kansas - I'd pick Kansas to win, too much speed for Wisconsin
Motor City: Minnesota vs. Central Michigan - Considering we beat FAU 37-3 and FAU beat Central Michigan I think Minnesota has to be the favorite.

If you change one regular season outcome so that everyone doesn't play up a game and the Big Ten is probably 5-2 in bowl match ups instead of a likely 1-6 showing.

I couldn't agree more across the board. Playing up a game killed the conference this year, even without Oregon State beating Oregon.

Another scenario that could have worked in our favor:
Iowa vs. Georgia = possible to likely Iowa win
MSU vs. Mizzou = MSU win
Northwestern vs. USCe = NW rolls
Wisconsin vs. Kansas < not sure about this one, but I tend to think that Wisky running it down KU's throats might have resulted in the win
Minnesota would have slaughtered Central Michigan

I couldn't agree more across the board. Playing up a game killed the conference this year, even without Oregon State beating Oregon.

Another scenario that could have worked in our favor:
Iowa vs. Georgia = possible to likely Iowa win
MSU vs. Mizzou = MSU win
Northwestern vs. USCe = NW rolls
Wisconsin vs. Kansas < not sure about this one, but I tend to think that Wisky running it down KU's throats might have resulted in the win
Minnesota would have slaughtered Central Michigan

Agreed except I don't see Wisconsin vs. Kansas as too different than Wisconsin vs. FSU. At the heart of it Wisconsin wasn't very good this year and I don't see them stopping the Kansas pass offense--defensively, Minnesota is actually faster than Wisconsin and matched up better. On the other side of the ball, Minnesota is far from a good running team this year but Kansas run defense wasn't a slouch and definitely held our running game in check so I think they would have contained Wisconsin enough for their offense to win the game.

Iowa was terrible in Weeks 3-6.

"Terrible" is a bit of an overstatement. They lost by 1 point AT Pittsburgh; lost by 3 points AT Michigan State in a game they outplayed the Spartans; and absolutely gave a game away at home against Northwestern (losing by 5) in a game they outplayed the Wildcats. Anyone who was paying attention should have figured out that this Iowa team was going to be pretty good.

Playing up a game killed the conference this year

Yet, the Big 12 and SEC also had to "play up" and so far have winning records in the bowl games. Now, the SEC has four teams yet to play and the Big 12 has three teams still needing to play (including two SEC vs. Big 12 head-to-head battles), so that could change.

Yet, the Big 12 and SEC also had to "play up" and so far have winning records in the bowl games. Now, the SEC has four teams yet to play and the Big 12 has three teams still needing to play (including two SEC vs. Big 12 head-to-head battles), so that could change.

But the consensus is that the SEC and the Big 12 are better than the Big 10, which is proving to be true. What I was saying is that the Big Ten looks worse than it really is because teams were playing up. If you look at the records of the bowls the Big 10 looks like the worst BCS conference but the reality is that there is no way the Big East is better and the ACC/Big 10 are probably pretty close with the Big Ten having better top teams and the ACC being better in the middle.

Top Bottom