FCS Championship game is going on KSTP Channel 5 Twin Cities at 11:00 AM

NDSU 128 - 8 now with 8 Titles.
it's a shame the NDSU admin wont push and ask the Mountain West for an invite.
NDSU is a legit top 40 FBS program the way they have things set up and pipeline & depth of hard working lunch pail kids

then add 22 full rides to then. Whoa.

Trey Lance turned down Boise St, but dude might be able to go pro after next year.

50% Minnesota kids at NDSU for school and I saw a ton of gophers parties & posts all season up here. no reason there cant be 2 powerhouse football programs.

NDSU at #5 Oregon 1st game will be fun to watch

Congrats on continuing to dominate JV

I prefer b10 football.

this is tired & lame. if NDSU isnt in the big 10 or big 12 what do u want them to do? w 22 more schollies theyd finish middle of big ten and big 12 easily

NDSU can move up Football Only. which they should
They should, frankly. Don't think they will.

Summit League doesn't care what they (or SDSU) do in football. If they gain national exposure, that's just all the better for non-football sports in the Summit.

NDSU is a legit top 40 FBS program the way they have things set up and pipeline & depth of hard working lunch pail kids

Trey Lance turned down Boise St, but dude might be able to go pro after next year.

50% Minnesota kids at NDSU for school and I saw a ton of gophers parties & posts all season up here. no reason there cant be 2 powerhouse football programs.

Any college football program in this day and age that can win eight championships in nine years is a tremendous accomplishment.

Moving up to D1 boils down to money and sustainability. With NDSU Athletics losing money as it stands, joining a D1 program at this point for an even greater success is paradoxical.

They can do both. Drake does it, Butler does it, a few others.

Lot of alumni support and probably a few donors with history/ties to the football program. Keeping it as a varsity team, non-scholarship, could be the smarter move than just chopping it off.
I hear what you're saying, but football is such a money pit. Maybe UST could become a lower level Marquette in basketball.

this is tired & lame. if NDSU isnt in the big 10 or big 12 what do u want them to do? w 22 more schollies theyd finish middle of big ten and big 12 easily

It's just a statement, I don't follow FCS, I like b1g football.

I'm sure NDSU could be middle of pack team in b1g with time. Some NDSU fans talk if they joined b1g next year, they'd win b1g

It's just a statement, I don't follow FCS, I like b1g football.

I'm sure NDSU could be middle of pack team in b1g with time. Some NDSU fans talk if they joined b1g next year, they'd win b1g

Agreed. I'll give NDSU its credit. They've dominated their division with other schools with the same number of scholarships. They've also done well against FBS teams in the past when they treat that game as their Superbowl as a recruiting bonanza and gameplan all offseason (usually the first game) while the FBS opponent treats it as a less important nonconference game in twelve. If they played an FBS schedule against larger more physical opponents for 12 games, they'd get worn down more than they do now. Try playing the current iterations Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Penn State, Nebraska, etc. every week. No way in hell they'd finish mid pack in the BG10. Beat Rugers and Northwestern this year? Maybe. Maybe get lucky somewhere else too.

No one disputes that NDSU has dominated the level they play at. It is the thought process you and other Sioux fans have that you would be anything over 1-11 or maybe 2-10 in FBS that creates the rub.
Bison will play the Mavericks anytime Fleck wants to play.

Hell no! NDSU cannot recruit the talent to hang with the big boys. No one wants to play in fargo middle of no where north dakota. They can win a couple games a year but could not sustain a whole season of big ten quality opponents.

I would say there is about 80+ FBS teams that will regret not offering him
Many did including MN...just not at QB. Hes a dynamic runner but I've watched him many times this year: hes a below average passer.

Better name would be Billy Turner. Plays for Packers now.

Gophers passed him over for Gjere.
Who had to retire after frosh yr due to concussion. Could have as good as Turner. Kill should have offered both. Botched it

NDSU winning the FCS title eight of nine years. That is a tribute to the MN pipeline of players. The Dakota schools provide opportunities for Minnesota kids both metro and out state who more than likely will never get a shot with the Gophers.

Judging from the success of SDSU and NDSU, the 2-Star/3-Star kids that they recruited blossomed in their developmental programs. Some of them end up in the NFL.

IMHO, out state MN may be under recruited. Some kids out state kids don't travel to camps.

The Gophers can't possibly expend a whole lot of recruiting resources in state when the pressure is on to get the best available athlete nationally. They do keep tabs on one that are obviously good athletes. They'll miss occasionally on athletes like Marshall's Yahya Black (Iowa) and Barnesville's HUnter Zenzen (Iowa State).

The beneficiary to underaated/under recruited MN kids are NDSU, SDSU. Take for instance, NDSU's 2020 139th ranked recruiting class. They have five MN commits. How many of these will develop into great players for them?

I recently saw a very good analysis regarding the possibility of NDSU moving to FBS that concluded that financially, neither MW or MAC, the most likely landing spots in the unlikely event NDSU would pursue FBS, would be financially feasible. The absolute best case scenario but realistically not probable, would be the AA, which has a bit more TV money. No reasonable, objective person can harbor any thought that NDSU would ever receive a B1G or Big 12 invite.

NDSU shouldn't apologize for it's success or for who it plays. It's success is unprecedented. But no reasonable objective person can harbor delusions that NDSU would be competitive in a P5 conference. There reality is that NDSU would be a competitive MAC or maybe MW program. Let's not kid ourselves. NDSU gets the best FCS recruits and takes a few away from the Wyomings, Ball States and Kent States of the CFB world. There are always a few kids that the Minnesotas et al missed on but then again, they may have languished behind better athletes and players and never developed in the same way as they would have at NDSU.

Having two good CFB programs in the region would be great. Two power houses? Not happening. NDSU is a I-AA power house. Minnesota? Well it had a good year. The reality is that Minnesota's ceiling is realistically Iowa and maybe Wisconsin like success. NDSU's is continued FCS dominance and unlikely, a good MAC team. No FBS power houses here.

If I remember correctly the Gophers wanted Billy Turner but he could not get admitted into the U. This goes back a few years but that's how I remember his recruitment unfolding, I could be wrong, just my two cents. About the same time frame another local kid, Marcus Williams, went through the same scenario, Gophers wanted him but spent little or no resources recruiting him because he could not get admitted to the U and he also ended up at NDSU.

I recently saw a very good analysis regarding the possibility of NDSU moving to FBS that concluded that financially, neither MW or MAC, the most likely landing spots in the unlikely event NDSU would pursue FBS, would be financially feasible. The absolute best case scenario but realistically not probable, would be the AA, which has a bit more TV money. No reasonable, objective person can harbor any thought that NDSU would ever receive a B1G or Big 12 invite.

NDSU shouldn't apologize for it's success or for who it plays. It's success is unprecedented. But no reasonable objective person can harbor delusions that NDSU would be competitive in a P5 conference. There reality is that NDSU would be a competitive MAC or maybe MW program. Let's not kid ourselves. NDSU gets the best FCS recruits and takes a few away from the Wyomings, Ball States and Kent States of the CFB world. There are always a few kids that the Minnesotas et al missed on but then again, they may have languished behind better athletes and players and never developed in the same way as they would have at NDSU.

Having two good CFB programs in the region would be great. Two power houses? Not happening. NDSU is a I-AA power house. Minnesota? Well it had a good year. The reality is that Minnesota's ceiling is realistically Iowa and maybe Wisconsin like success. NDSU's is continued FCS dominance and unlikely, a good MAC team. No FBS power houses here.
Sun Belt could be an outside chance. They’ve taken FCS App St, Georgia Southern, and Coastal Carolina recently. But still unlikely.

Most likely is independent, which isn’t likely, or the Missouri Valley moving up together, which is even less likely.

Again, the big hope of the Dakotas is not to UP, rather it’s that the G5 get pulled DOWN into the FCS playoffs and sub-division.

I think that’s the most ludicrous of them all. By who knows for sure.

If I remember correctly the Gophers wanted Billy Turner but he could not get admitted into the U. This goes back a few years but that's how I remember his recruitment unfolding, I could be wrong, just my two cents. About the same time frame another local kid, Marcus Williams, went through the same scenario, Gophers wanted him but spent little or no resources recruiting him because he could not get admitted to the U and he also ended up at NDSU.
Highly doubt a kid who went to Mounds View would have that problem. But I don’t know for sure.

This discussion comes up, on average, at least twice per year here. Congrats to North Dakota State for winning FCS again. Its a different level of football, I find many NDSU fans to be delusional, and the speed at which they turn up here on Gopherhole after there is a development within their program is amazing. I watched about a half to third of the FCS championship game and from what I saw, although I was impressed with Lance, I found his style to be the type that would get a QB hurt sooner or later in FBS. Especially power 5 FBS. So much of FCS is a joke, it is easy for solid programs to keep guys from getting injured and this insulates them from many of the depth issues that are faced by power 5 teams.

Many did including MN...just not at QB. Hes a dynamic runner but I've watched him many times this year: hes a below average passer.
Bold take. 67% completion. 28 touchdowns. Zero interceptions. I'd like to see what an average passer looks like in your world!

FWIW, this NFL Draft analyst has Lance as top QB in 2022.

This discussion comes up, on average, at least twice per year here. Congrats to North Dakota State for winning FCS again. Its a different level of football, I find many NDSU fans to be delusional, and the speed at which they turn up here on Gopherhole after there is a development within their program is amazing. I watched about a half to third of the FCS championship game and from what I saw, although I was impressed with Lance, I found his style to be the type that would get a QB hurt sooner or later in FBS. Especially power 5 FBS. So much of FCS is a joke, it is easy for solid programs to keep guys from getting injured and this insulates them from many of the depth issues that are faced by power 5 teams.

Don’t the scholarship numbers vary among teams across FCS?

Don’t the scholarship numbers vary among teams across FCS?
FCS has no minimum requirements. Some schools legitmately are non-scholarship, but most have some number of scholarships. But to your point, I would not be surprised if at least half of the schools in FCS are under some threshold like 80-90% of the maximum (which is 63 equivalencies).

FBS has a minimum number. Teams are required to give out at least 90% of the maximum (which is 85 headcount).

Bold take. 67% completion. 28 touchdowns. Zero interceptions. I'd like to see what an average passer looks like in your world!

FWIW, this NFL Draft analyst has Lance as top QB in 2022.

Never heard of him. He's not a fan of Jonathan Taylor at the pro level...so we'll see

I haven't watched enough of Lance nor an NFL scout to give an impression if he'll go Pro. I'm skeptical he'll be top QB in 2022, but you never know.

St. John's in the final 4
Minnesota State in the final 2
NDSU Champions
Gophers 11-2

Not a bad year for the local level teams. Upper Midwest football is alive and well. So important for Fleck to strongly recruit the PWO program locally. Come give us a try, worse case you transfer back to St. Thomas, St. John's, Minnesota State etc.

I'm usually a sucker for it, not sure why.

NDSU is an excellent program, but they're a bit delusional. And I don't know why Bison only fans post here, do gopher fans that aren't bison fans post on bisonville?

Top Bottom