FCS Championship game is going on KSTP Channel 5 Twin Cities at 11:00 AM

Yes it does. FCS to FBS you have to move up in all sports. Other schools are granfathered in.
All sports? Youre an idiot, all other sports are DI. There’s not difference in every other sports. Football has 2 levels of DI, no other sport does. You have 13 scholarships in BB, as does every other DI school.

All sports? Youre an idiot, all other sports are DI. There’s not difference in every other sports. Football has 2 levels of DI, no other sport does. You have 13 scholarships in BB, as does every other DI school.
No need to call people names.

Surprised Trey Lance didn’t get more FBS love. The kid was pretty fun to watch at Marshall.

Great athlete. Had an offer from Boise State according to 247.
There are a number of reasons why kids don’t get more looks / offers. A lot of recruiting now is dependent on kids attending camps and being willing to travel to have their skill set seen live. Maybe he traveled a lot or maybe he didn’t. It’s none of my business anyways. A number of schools really want to see kids (in person) to get measurables and see how they compete. It definitely helps. Also, his skill set - which is very good for here - can be found throughout many states with better overall HS football.

Also the Fargodome isn't even selling out

From the article I posted that you didn't click on:

The school needs to sponsor 16 athletic sports while adhering to Title IX as well. North Dakota sponsors 14 athletic programs. Hover your mouse over "sports" at the Bison athletic website to see what they are. In order to join the FBS, NDSU has to manage to come up with the money to add at least two more sports teams which includes a staff, a facility etc. That alone is a very large financial undertaking.
--

Read More: NDSU is Not Moving to the FBS So Stop Suggesting It | https://cool987fm.com/ndsu-is-not-m...ng-it/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

Ndsu sponsors 16 sports: The min requirement for sponsoring FBS football.
Men (8)
Basketball
Baseball
T&F - I
T&F -O
XC
Football
Wrestling
Golf

Women (8)
Basketball
Golf
Softball
Soccer
T&F - I
T&F -O
XC
Volleyball

No more sports are required at NDSU to be FBS.

A team flushed with MN players that didn't get a shot at FBS.
Lots of ndsu players have FBS offers. Team is littered with players with MAC and MW offers. Two TEs had B1G offers. The G5 is FBS, so you really don’t know what you’re talking about.

Lots of ndsu players have FBS offers. Team is littered with players with MAC and MW offers. Two TEs had B1G offers. The G5 is FBS, so you really don’t know what you’re talking about.
Celebration over for you guys? You're already on this board! LOL! Must be pretty boring up there.

Feel free to put MplsGopher on ignore if replies to MplsGopher posts really cause you that much grief.

Instead of passive-aggressive cowardly snide remarks.

Have a good day!
And miss out on some of your more ridiculous posts...why? You might want to reread the definition of passive aggressive...

And miss out on some of your more ridiculous posts...why? You might want to reread the definition of passive aggressive...
That may be the most misunderstood term on this board. Pretty comical at times.

You're clearly not getting it. Were just asking you to put things in perspective. Is North Dakota playing next week? No.

Perspective right now looks like 16-0, 16 titles, 37 straight.

Perspective right now looks like 16-0, 16 titles, 37 straight.
No one disputes that NDSU has dominated the level they play at. It is the thought process you and other Sioux fans have that you would be anything over 1-11 or maybe 2-10 in FBS that creates the rub.

If Glen Taylor wants to pay for it, I’m sure Mankato would love it.

FCS is a big money loser unless you have a dedicated fan base. Very expensive, especially to be nationally competitive in the Missouri Valley.
FCS football is a money loser. All individual sports at NDSU (and UND) lose money. Here's an 2017 article from the Bismarck Tribune.

All individual sports at NDSU, UND lose money

After all I heard about SDSU, I am shocked they aren’t in this game. Tough to make it when 8-5 I guess.

SDSU finally ended up on the other side of the bracket from NDSU but beginning with SDSU's gamee against NDSU, injuries really started pilling up. Down to third stringers at skill positions, etc.

Right, and hence why St Thomas is going to, at most, play Pioneer League football when they move up to DI, which is a special conference that plays non-scholarship (DIII level) football for schools with DI basketball.

And their champion still gets an auto-bid to the FCS playoff, even though they rarely win a game. Still get to go, for a fraction of the investment made by schools like NDSU, JMU, etc.

I see the Dakotas as simply extensions of MN so I'm happy about this. I like seeing success in the region.

I know this has been debated ad nauseam but I'm convinced there's 4-8 players in the upper midwest in any given recruiting class that end up at NDSU/SDSU that would be solid contributors in the Big Ten. It's not like they're usually hidden in some small town in rural western Minnesota either. There's a lot of talent in the big suburban Twin Cities high schools that gets passed over for whatever reason; way more than you see from any other comparable major metro it feels like.
The Dakotas certainly don't see themselves that that way. Sure, I would guess east of the Missouri River most Dakota NFL fans pledge allegiance to the purple. West of the River the allegiances are more mixed, with Denver being the preferred Sunday club.

At the FBS level there is no affinity for the UofM in SD. Nebraska largely holds court with some Iowa black and gold flags hanging on front porches. Wyoming gets a distance honorable mention in the black hills.

When I lived in Fargo, I didn't see any indication of FBS affiliation. This was before NDSU moved to I-AA but even then, NDSU and UND seemed to be good enough for North Dakotans, I'm sure on account of Sioux Hockey, and the success of Bison FB and women's basketball at both schools. Now, most North Dakotans and a lot of West Central MN think that Bison football is big time college football.

If I were them, I wouldn't change a thing. They are the king of the hill. What is it, they won eight FCS Championships in nine years?

Right. NDSU enjoys so much success in part because it offers a viable alternative to borderline FBS talent that can play meaningful games in a tremendous game day environment in a program that has shown that it can develop guys with a shot to make an NFL roster. If I'm an 18 year old kid, I don't think there's a MAC school I choose over NDSU and there might be only a few MWC schools that would be more enticing. Boise, maybe Co St, Fresno... If NDSU would move up, where would it go and what could it reasonably (the reasonableness standard of a typical Bison fan tossed out) expect to accomplish? The ceiling is the sustained success of a school like BSU. The reality is probably more cyclical success like a Fresno or the Mac/AA schools that are good for a couple and then the coach gets hired at a P5 school.

Great athlete. Had an offer from Boise State according to 247.
There are a number of reasons why kids don’t get more looks / offers. A lot of recruiting now is dependent on kids attending camps and being willing to travel to have their skill set seen live. Maybe he traveled a lot or maybe he didn’t. It’s none of my business anyways. A number of schools really want to see kids (in person) to get measurables and see how they compete. It definitely helps. Also, his skill set - which is very good for here - can be found throughout many states with better overall HS football.

I believe he shut down his recruiting fairly early but playing a skill position at Marshall makes it hard to get attention. Marshall had excellent athletic programs but the level of competition is pretty gross. This kid is a gamer though. If he played at a similarly sized school on Texas no doubt he's on a P5 roster, maybe not as QB but as an "athlete" like TJ was.

The kid just won the I-AA Heisman and you'd think there would be opportunity to transfer up but then a person considers that the last two starting QBs at NDSU were drafted onto NFL rosters and a third is or at least was playing in the CFL. I'd like my chances at NDSU.

I see the Dakotas as simply extensions of MN so I'm happy about this. I like seeing success in the region.

I know this has been debated ad nauseam but I'm convinced there's 4-8 players in the upper midwest in any given recruiting class that end up at NDSU/SDSU that would be solid contributors in the Big Ten. It's not like they're usually hidden in some small town in rural western Minnesota either. There's a lot of talent in the big suburban Twin Cities high schools that gets passed over for whatever reason; way more than you see from any other comparable major metro it feels like.
Maybe but there's a lot more that go to those schools that end up being solid contributors at that level but would be overmatched in the Big Ten. So what's the solution? Offer them all so we don't end up missing on anyone local? It is what it is, you're always going to miss on some kids. We always here about the kid that the Gophers should have offered, but don't hear about all the kids that they correctly didn't offer.

I'll also give NDSU credit as I think their system has a lot to do with the development of those players. Does Wentz develop like he did at a bigger school? Not sure.

Right, and hence why St Thomas is going to, at most, play Pioneer League football when they move up to DI, which is a special conference that plays non-scholarship (DIII level) football for schools with DI basketball.

And their champion still gets an auto-bid to the FCS playoff, even though they rarely win a game. Still get to go, for a fraction of the investment made by schools like NDSU, JMU, etc.
UST should drop football and focus their efforts on building a basketball program.

Make the move then!
I think a lot of their fans, alumni, and people around the FM are getting restless, as well.

There is no competition, for most of the year. There is no point in watching. They always win.

It is time for them to take the next challenge.

The Dakotas certainly don't see themselves that that way. Sure, I would guess east of the Missouri River most Dakota NFL fans pledge allegiance to the purple. West of the River the allegiances are more mixed, with Denver being the preferred Sunday club.

At the FBS level there is no affinity for the UofM in SD. Nebraska largely holds court with some Iowa black and gold flags hanging on front porches. Wyoming gets a distance honorable mention in the black hills.
Western Dakotas have always had some scorn for their Eastern "cosmopolitan" counterparts. I think they think folks in Fargo and SF look down on them, as backwards/bumpkins.

If you go far enough west, the Dakotas are actually in the Mountain time-zone. Very long states. I think 7-8hr drives across.

If NDSU would move up, where would it go and what could it reasonably (the reasonableness standard of a typical Bison fan tossed out) expect to accomplish? The ceiling is the sustained success of a school like BSU. The reality is probably more cyclical success like a Fresno or the Mac/AA schools that are good for a couple and then the coach gets hired at a P5 school.
If NDSU moves up any time in the foreseeable future, it will likely have to be as an independent. In which case, the best they can hope for in terms of success is a nice bowl win. Which is nothing to sneeze at.

No all-conf honors, though, unless the independents get together and make something pseudo like that.

The easy counter-argument to what you said is: what possibly more is there to accomplish, at the FCS level???

but don't hear about all the kids that they correctly didn't offer.

I'll also give NDSU credit as I think their system has a lot to do with the development of those players. Does Wentz develop like he did at a bigger school? Not sure.
Two great points.

NDSU can take a kid at a rural farm town school who was just bigger than everyone else on the field (until the state tournament) and make him into a big full-back or TE and teach him that position and make him an interesting proposition for an NFL team to sign as an undrafted player.

UST should drop football and focus their efforts on building a basketball program.
They can do both. Drake does it, Butler does it, a few others.

Lot of alumni support and probably a few donors with history/ties to the football program. Keeping it as a varsity team, non-scholarship, could be the smarter move than just chopping it off.

Top Bottom