FBI Wiretaps Confirm Sean Miller Discussed 100k Payment To Get Ayton

Bilas, Williams, and Greenberg spent the first 10-15 minutes of Gameday talking about this and how Miller is toast and there needs to be changes to the amateurism rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elite HS basketball players should be going right to professional ball (if they want). College sports are for amateurs. If that uniformly dilutes the product, so be it.

No problem with players getting a 2-5K annual stipend for incidentals.

Miller's likely gone but it'll be interesting to see what happens with the other blue bloods. Everyone cheats, at all levels, and it has been known for a long time. Some just cheat more than others.

Three letters, F B I.

Elite HS basketball players should be going right to professional ball (if they want). College sports are for amateurs. If that uniformly dilutes the product, so be it.

Giving a 2-5k stipend doesn't fix things when some are getting 100k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the public at large misunderstands why the NBA rule is what it is. It's not about unfairly hampering freedom of choice for the player. It's about protecting the NBA franchises from drafting busts. It's hard enough to draft players now (see: Dante Exum, Noah Vonleh, Elfrid Payton as top ten picks from just the 2014 draft), but it's so much harder to evaluate players who haven't played any basketball above the high school level.

NBA teams tank whole seasons to get a high draft pick. Imagine if the Timberwolves had drafted Skal Labissiere (5-star center out of Memphis, .9998 rating on 247, #2 recruit in the nation) instead of Karl-Anthony Towns in 2015? What an utter disaster.

I think the public at large misunderstands why the NBA rule is what it is. It's not about unfairly hampering freedom of choice for the player. It's about protecting the NBA franchises from drafting busts. It's hard enough to draft players now (see: Dante Exum, Noah Vonleh, Elfrid Payton as top ten picks from just the 2014 draft), but it's so much harder to evaluate players who haven't played any basketball above the high school level.

NBA teams tank whole seasons to get a high draft pick. Imagine if the Timberwolves had drafted Skal Labissiere (5-star center out of Memphis, .9998 rating on 247, #2 recruit in the nation) instead of Karl-Anthony Towns in 2015? What an utter disaster.

Exactly. It's time for the NBA to invest some real money into it's own minor league system to develop players. High school players can roll the dice like baseball players do and decide if going straight to the pros or college is better for them. There have been a few straight to the pros 18 year olds who make it big, but it is a high risk proposition for an NBA team stuck with a pretty big automatic contract.

You're correct, but I don't think billionaires need to be protected from themselves. Hire smarter people instead of collectively bargain against your idiocy.

I've come to agree with those saying we should simply do away with the idea of amateurism, like the Olympics did. It would solve almost all of the problems going on right now and might take a lot of power away from the NCAA. And as much of an advantage that some schools would have over UMn, those schools already have an advantage over UMn, but some of the cheaters that unfairly gain an advantage over UMn may lose their advantage once everyone is allowed to basically "buy" players services. And we could benefit more than anyone else when it comes to hockey.

If they do nothing but become glorified minor leagues they will have the popularity of minor leagues, IMO.

You're correct, but I don't think billionaires need to be protected from themselves. Hire smarter people instead of collectively bargain against your idiocy.

Why would they do that? There's no upside for the NBA if teams go back to drafting high school players. None whatsoever.

You've got to love Arizona. After failing his SECOND drug test, Trier is back, Miller is back, and Ayton never left.

They are just saying "**** it" at this point.

UNC has set the tone and written the template: fight the NCAA, especially if you're an elite program.

Top Bottom