Favorite State Fair Concerts

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
The State Fair is a great place to catch some live music. Since we won't be seeing any this year, let's reminisce. What are some of your favorite State Fair performances?

Here are my top 3:
Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings: I've seen them a few times, but this show was unique. The band drew in a lot of passers-by that would not have otherwise ever heard of them.
Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue: I hadn't heard much of him before the show, but they were awesome. Shorty has since gained a decent following. I know Adam Rittenberg of ESPN is a fan.
War: (sans Eric Burdon) I think my love of War is well documented on tOTB. This is the only time I've seen them live. Show was cut short due to a thunderstorm, but the first half was fun.

I've actually never seen a show at the grandstand. But that Leine's free stage brings in some great national acts -- saw each of the above on the Leine's free stage.

Boyz to Men in the free concert theatre by the Leine's booth.

They were funny and still sang well. My wife and i were wondering why they were doing a free concert, thought maybe their careers were almost done.

About six months later they were doing Vegas shows.

I saw a guy named tommy Emmanuel play guitar at the band shell. I have never seen a better picker in person. Even a guy next to me said something similar.

When I was young my family went and saw Styx with REO Speedwagon.

Awesome.

I'm not a State Fair Fan but I did go see Sonic Youth and The Flaming Lips. It was the opening day and there was a MASSIVE downpour. Everything and everyone was soaked.

Sonic Youth was just okay, there more of a smaller venue band. The Flaming Lips were absolutely the perfect band for that venue and that day. Everyone was in a good mood because they were relieved the show still went on, maybe a little giddy from the whole experience and the skies were all sorts of odd colors.

So in a big wide open space under those circumstances the Flaming Lips over the top goofiness was perfect. Wayne Coyne reaching the stage in a giant plastic bubble being over the crowd as the rest of the band played, fan/dancers with hand held spotlights on either side of the stage. Men dressed as Santa on one side and women in short skirted elf costumes on the other. Huge beach balls being sent into the crowd to be bounced around, lasers, giant video screens and pyrotechnics. Just perfectly absurd.

Didn't have tickets for Neil Young but hung out and listened. Neil sounded great.

Beach Boys back in 1992 I think. Couldn't see anyone on the stage so my gf and I watched the concession vendors dance most of the show. Very fun time.

One year on the outdoor stage, they had the Mamas and the Papas - but this was the "new" version of the Group - John Phillips, Mackenzie Phillips, Scott McKenzie (had a hit with "San Francisco") and Spanky (from Spanky and Our Gang).

For the free entertainment, they tend to put the better acts on in the evening, and I rarely hang around that long.

Top Bottom