Favorite FBS Stadiums Visited

Gopher Gildy

Reaction score
What are your favorite CFB stadiums that you have been to? Why? How could the U improve their gameday experience based on what you have seen?

I'll start. I'm 21 and have visited the following:

1. Neyland Stadium (Tennessee): Nothing beats 100k+ people watching a bunch of 18-20 yr. olds. The stadium is next to a river and people tailgate on boats.

2. Memorial Stadium (Nebraska): I've been 3 times. Passionate and knowledgeable fans, the sea of red is pretty cool. Lots of tradition.

3. Mizzou: Very cool stadium that expanded last year I believe. They have a hill in one endzone which is packed with fans during the games. Lots of parking lot and frat parties add to the fun.

Looking forward to Kinnick Stadium (Iowa) this fall!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Favorite stadiums visited non Gophers. Nebraska, Notre Dame, Penn State, Texas A&M

Penn State, Nebraska and LSU are my top 3. I'm not sure Minnesota will ever be able to attain a gameday experience comparable to those places, but Nebraska is the one to strive for. They make the most of a relatively small space around the stadium, whereas Penn State has miles of empty fields to take advantage of, and LSU is just madness everywhere you look.

These fan bases are conditioned to show up early on game day, fill the bars and restaurants and make an entire day (or weekend) out of it -- a different mind set than 90% of the Minnesota fan base. I had hoped TCF Bank Stadium would change things, and it's certainly better than the Dome days, but winning consistently is probably the only answer.

1. LSU at night. Nothing beats Death Valley at night

2. Neyland stadium. 100k+ with a great location and great history

3. Autzen Stadium. Tough to beat the Ducks facilities, uniforms and very loud stadium.

I've watched games at 14 FBS stadiums. Top 3:

1. Kinnick (Iowa): I know... I know... But I love going to Kinnick. Love the intimacy and cramptness. Good gameday scene. And the fans are generally pleasant -- happy drunks. Much different experience than WI.

2. Ohio Stadium (OSU): Very intimidating. Tailgating wasn't the best, at least where we were.

3. Memorial Stadium (Indiana): Wildcard! Stadium isn't anything great, but tailgating is best in the B1G. Hidden gem of the B1G.

As to how we improve our gameday experience based on these visits, I don't think we should look to others to create our scene. We're never going to replicate the sea of red, or the 12th man, or tailgating in the woods (IU). We need to create something uniquely Minnesotan. I actually think we're doing a pretty good job after being off-campus for two decades.

Favorite:

TCF (Minnesota), Camp Randall (Wisconsin), Folsom Field (Colorado)

Least Favorite:

Citrus Bowl (Florida - lower level was fine, upper level was dangerous) and Johnny "Red" Floyd (Murfreesboro, TN - glorified High School bleachers)

3. Memorial Stadium (Indiana): Wildcard! Stadium isn't anything great, but tailgating is best in the B1G. Hidden gem of the B1G..

Couldn't agree more. The stadium is one of the Big Ten's worst, even with the renovations, but the tailgating is awesome, the campus is nice and the town is fun. Indiana is a top 5 Big Ten road trip for sure.

Having visited several other stadiums (Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, MSU, Michigan, Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue, Ohio State) it's pretty clear that we need to embrace what we have and ignore what we don't.

We're not going to have The Grove. We're not going to do lot upon lot of RVs. TCF is situated in a major metro area, surrounded by commerical, retail, public transit and university buildings. Use the space that is there and available - if I were running the entire show, I'd have parking lots attached to retail spaces closed and set up outdoor beer gardens with live music (or at least DJs), like you see on Grand Old Day. Set up heaters in the later months. Get people to pack those spaces before taking a short walk to the game. There are a lot of lots in the area that could be used.

Still have the tailgating spaces, yes, but make it easy for people that want to be close to the stadium to be close and have a party.

t0PDjJv.png

XrN7BDa.png

Having visited several other stadiums (Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, MSU, Michigan, Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue, Ohio State) it's pretty clear that we need to embrace what we have and ignore what we don't.

We're not going to have The Grove. We're not going to do lot upon lot of RVs. TCF is situated in a major metro area, surrounded by commerical, retail, public transit and university buildings. Use the space that is there and available - if I were running the entire show, I'd have parking lots attached to retail spaces closed and set up outdoor beer gardens with live music (or at least DJs), like you see on Grand Old Day. Set up heaters in the later months. Get people to pack those spaces before taking a short walk to the game. There are a lot of lots in the area that could be used.

Still have the tailgating spaces, yes, but make it easy for people that want to be close to the stadium to be close and have a party.
I can't speak to all your parking outlines, but the The Commons hotel lot is not available to anybody except hotel guests and I don't think tailgating is permitted there. I stay there frequently and have never seen tailgating.

I can't speak to all your parking outlines, but the The Commons hotel lot is not available to anybody except hotel guests and I don't think tailgating is permitted there. I stay there frequently and have never seen tailgating.

You're right, now that's the case, but doesn't necessarily mean it couldn't be that way in the future. Gamedays have all the guests park in the ramp with in-and-out privileges.

t0PDjJv.png

XrN7BDa.png
Isn't the problem here with a Minneapolis ordinance preventing the use of private lots for this kind of thing?

I don't see how anybody could name Kinnick Stadium among their favorites. I live in Hawkeye land and there are a lot of Hawkeye fans themselves who wish some things were different(cramped bench seats, concessions and restrooms, tailgating lots etc. I have been to several games there and consider it to be a urine smelling cesspool. I would much rather see a game at Jack Trice Stadium(ISU). To each their own I guess. They do get 60k-70K in there for every home game.

Isn't the problem here with a Minneapolis ordinance preventing the use of private lots for this kind of thing?

Really? I didn't think so, but maybe. A quick Google search popped up a "Parking Lot Party" at U Liquors in June prior to the Luke Bryan concert, which makes me think it might not be against the rules, or there might be something special about this event (maybe they didn't serve beer? maybe they didn't have music?)

t0PDjJv.png

XrN7BDa.png

this imagery may be outdated. Is there not a ton of new developments that have essentially gobbled up these spaces?

I've watched games at 14 FBS stadiums. Top 3:

1. Kinnick (Iowa): I know... I know... But I love going to Kinnick. Love the intimacy and cramptness. Good gameday scene. And the fans are generally pleasant -- happy drunks. Much different experience than WI.

This and Sun Devil Stadium are the only FBS stadiums I've been too, and although the scenery at a very hot Stadium with a campus full of hot girls is quite fun to experience, Iowa (as much as I hate to admit) was to me what college football is about. Just a big community all coming together for one purpose, and I hope Minnesota gets back to this some day. The three times i've been to Kinnick, the older fans would always say "Minnesota was always like this, it used to be the place to watch college football". And your 'cramptness' comment is spot on, it seems like all three times i've been they completely destroyed fire code with how they cram them in, especially with bench seating. I wasn't too comfortable being THAT close to an Iowan..

I don't see how anybody could name Kinnick Stadium among their favorites. I live in Hawkeye land and there are a lot of Hawkeye fans themselves who wish some things were different(cramped bench seats, concessions and restrooms, tailgating lots etc. I have been to several games there and consider it to be a urine smelling cesspool. I would much rather see a game at Jack Trice Stadium(ISU). To each their own I guess. They do get 60k-70K in there for every home game.

This too, is spot on. I contribute my naming of Kinnick largely due to lack of experience and it was merely more of the fan togetherness and how much they get into it sort of thing. The stadium even with the remodel, still smells like a backed up toilet. You wait a whole quarter for concessions (a damn corndog) and every time we parked about 1.5 miles away, having to walk through wooded trails to get to the stadium.

this imagery may be outdated. Is there not a ton of new developments that have essentially gobbled up these spaces?

Don't think it's that outdated. The new builds in Stadium Village are mostly on Washington, mostly on the south side of the street, and while Dinkytown has a bunch of builds I think all those lots are still there as of now - the biggest projects there are on the northeast corner of 5th and 14th, by the Target. Might be a lot or two that is zoned to be demolished though.

Really? I didn't think so, but maybe. A quick Google search popped up a "Parking Lot Party" at U Liquors in June prior to the Luke Bryan concert, which makes me think it might not be against the rules, or there might be something special about this event (maybe they didn't serve beer? maybe they didn't have music?)

You used to only be able to do like 4 parking lot parties a year or something. I know they talked about increasing it, but I'm not positive they did. It seems like there have been some most weeks at BW3, but I'm not sure because we haven't always stuck around every week.

My favorite stadiums were probably PSU (atmosphere in and out of the stadium) and USC (being at the site of two olympic opening ceremonies). Nebraska was a blast as well.

Sadly I've only been to three stadiums. Of those, from best to worst:

1)Madison. Amazing atmosphere, as much as I hate the Badgers.

2)TCF. Yeah it could be improved upon, but it's not as bad as a lot of people here make it out to be.

3)TCU. Was generally underwhelmed, but not surprised because it's such a small school and they were coming off a not very successful season.

I've always thought the McDonalds overflow lot was situated perfectly for tailgating.

Besides the B1G stadiums of Indiana, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Purdue I have been to Toledo, USC, UNLV, and TCU.
Iowa does have a pretty good tailgate scene, but it's Iowa so that knocks it down to number 3.
TCU tailgate was pretty great, the ability to leave at halftime and tailgate was pretty awesome, but did lead to a much emptier stadium for the second half (fireball shots anyone?)2.
USC tailgate was unlike anything I have experienced, stadium is old yet historic and the song girls are just down right wonderful. 1

From the Minneapolis city website:

Tailgating at the University of Minnesota
Minneapolis Ordinance 319.310(c) defines the area that allows tailgaiting with alcohol and the U of MN area is not included.

However, the Minnesota Legislature gave the U of M the authority to choose to allow tailgating with alcohol. Only the lots on U of M property that they have selected may tailgate with alcohol.

See the University of Minnesota Tailgating Policy for rules and locations.

Tailgating with alcohol is not allowed in parking lots surrounding the U of M.

People can tailgate in a licensed parking lot without alcohol if it is allowed by the parking lot owner.

Alcohol is a highly controlled substance and can only be consumed in designated areas. Minneapolis police will enforce these ordinances to ensure the safety of residents as well as visitors.

Last updated Sep 27, 2011

Been to all Big Ten stadiums minus Rutgers & Maryland, along with Toledo, USC, and seen games at Air Force.

-I still think Ohio State was the best overall.
-Close for nicest fans between Nebraska & Penn State. I'd give the edge to Nebraska, but I also still believe it was because they knew they were going to kick the Gophers around. PSU, fans gave us steaks in the tailgate fields after we beat them. Gracious.
-Underwhelmed by Michigan.
-I agree that Iowa is a good time. Yes, the stadium isn't the greatest, but I think it's a better place to watch a game than Camp Randall; much closer to the action.
-Madison is what it's advertised to be, although I do think Jump Around was cooler back in its early day. Now, it's almost like it's contrived, manufactured & corporate.
-USC was awesome the way they all tailgated right on campus without cars. Would be fun if that happened at Northrop Mall.
-Air Force is cool with the flyovers and the mountains and lots of open space for tailgating, but the stadium is nothing special.

This and Sun Devil Stadium are the only FBS stadiums I've been too, and although the scenery at a very hot Stadium with a campus full of hot girls is quite fun to experience, Iowa (as much as I hate to admit) was to me what college football is about. Just a big community all coming together for one purpose, and I hope Minnesota gets back to this some day. The three times i've been to Kinnick, the older fans would always say "Minnesota was always like this, it used to be the place to watch college football". And your 'cramptness' comment is spot on, it seems like all three times i've been they completely destroyed fire code with how they cram them in, especially with bench seating. I wasn't too comfortable being THAT close to an Iowan..

I've also been to Kinnick three times. First time was before the renovations, maybe 15 yrs ago. The restrooms are vastly improved, still bad but better. Love that they kept the intimacy, narrow sidelines, etc.

Also been to Sun Devil. Very cool setting. A lot like UTEP for the Sun Bowl.

Been to all Big Ten stadiums minus Rutgers & Maryland, along with Toledo, USC, and seen games at Air Force.

-I still think Ohio State was the best overall.
-Close for nicest fans between Nebraska & Penn State. I'd give the edge to Nebraska, but I also still believe it was because they knew they were going to kick the Gophers around. PSU, fans gave us steaks in the tailgate fields after we beat them. Gracious.
-Underwhelmed by Michigan.
-I agree that Iowa is a good time. Yes, the stadium isn't the greatest, but I think it's a better place to watch a game than Camp Randall; much closer to the action.
-Madison is what it's advertised to be, although I do think Jump Around was cooler back in its early day. Now, it's almost like it's contrived, manufactured & corporate.
-USC was awesome the way they all tailgated right on campus without cars. Would be fun if that happened at Northrop Mall.
-Air Force is cool with the flyovers and the mountains and lots of open space for tailgating, but the stadium is nothing special.

Agree on Michigan. But tailgating on the university golf course is cool. Gorgeous campus, though.
I was also underwhelmed at Purdue.

Favorite non-B1G: Gophers at Cal. Exceeded my expectations, nice stadium/setting. Didn't tailgate, but hit the bars pre-game. They serve beer in their student union, which was pretty sweet.

Least favorite non-B1G: Fresno St at Hawaii. Convinced my wife to go to a game while on our honeymoon. They play at Aloha Stadium, home the NFL pro bowl, so no campus experience whatsoever. Stadium was only a third full. Mostly native Hawaiians with little interest in the game.

1. TCF Bank stadium.
2. Minnesota Memorial Stadium (The Brickhouse)
3. Metrodome.
I got to get out more.

From the Minneapolis city website:

Tailgating at the University of Minnesota
Minneapolis Ordinance 319.310(c) defines the area that allows tailgaiting with alcohol and the U of MN area is not included.

However, the Minnesota Legislature gave the U of M the authority to choose to allow tailgating with alcohol. Only the lots on U of M property that they have selected may tailgate with alcohol.

See the University of Minnesota Tailgating Policy for rules and locations.

Tailgating with alcohol is not allowed in parking lots surrounding the U of M.

People can tailgate in a licensed parking lot without alcohol if it is allowed by the parking lot owner.

Alcohol is a highly controlled substance and can only be consumed in designated areas. Minneapolis police will enforce these ordinances to ensure the safety of residents as well as visitors.

Last updated Sep 27, 2011

Interesting. I wonder what, legally, tailgating is in this sense. Does that include lots, with a permit from the city, controlled by an adjacent establishment? Or is it just individuals parking (or walking in) and setting up shop?

From the ordinance referenced, tailgating in Minneapolis is only allowed here (and in areas on the U campus)...:

...an area defined as one commencing at the southwesterly bank of the Mississippi River where said riverbank is intersected by the centerline of 4th Avenue South, extended; thence southwesterly along the centerline of 4th Avenue South to the centerline of 6th Street South; thence southeasterly along the centerline of 6th Street South to the centerline of 11th Avenue South; thence northeasterly along the centerline of 11th Avenue South, extended to the southwesterly bank of the Mississippi River, thence northwesterly along said riverbank to the point of beginning, and commencing at the centerline of 7th Street North, thence northwesterly to the centerline of Hoag Avenue, thence northerly along the centerline of Hoag Avenue to the centerline of 6th Avenue North, thence easterly along the centerline of 6th Avenue North to the centerline of 5th Street North, thence southeasterly along the centerline of 5th Street North to the centerline of 3rd Avenue North, thence southwesterly along the centerline of 3rd Avenue North to the centerline of 7th Street North....

And while parking lots aren't allowed to serve alcohol without a permit...

No licensee of a parking lot, nor an agent or employee of a licensee, shall encourage, knowingly allow or knowingly permit the possession or consumption of intoxicating liquor or 3.2 percent malt liquor, as defined by Minnesota Statutes, Section 340A.101, by any person on the licensed premises except where such possession or consumption has been expressly permitted by license or permit granted under Title 13 or Title 14.

Per 362.35(a), establishments can get an expansion of license of areas immediately adjacent for up to 12 days a year (or more, for special events).

(a) On-sale liquor, wine and beer establishments may obtain a temporary expansion of license for premises directly adjacent and contiguous to a permanently licensed premises and for entertainment not otherwise allowed under the establishment's permanent license.

An individual licensee may be granted up to twelve (12) temporary expansion licenses for the duration of not more than two (2) consecutive days so as not to exceed twelve (12) days in any twelve-month period. The limitation on the number of temporary expansion licenses granted in a twelve-month period may be waived by the licensing official for special events.

I also have been to the Rose Bowl, 2008, when USC destroyed Illinois.

In all honesty, it was the GREATEST thing I have been to. The entire day, you wake up super early (remember that the parade is starting Pacific time), it's awesome, then people going to the game migrate down to the stadium, quite a bit of room to tailgate (don't know if that's still the case), plenty of time in between the two events, then the 2nd half is as picturesque as it gets; the lights shining on the field, but it's not dark yet, sun slowly going down & reflects off of the mountains in the background.

Anybody who wonders why the Big Ten & Pac Ten are so gung-ho about keeping the Rose Bowl as theirs & not wanting to share it simply needs to go to one & they'll know why the conferences don't ever want to give it up!

Top Bottom