Favorite Bars

tikited

Me
Reaction score
Got back from a short two-day trip to Milwaukee. Visited a few of my favorite bars. It's been six years since I've been to any of them. Got me thinking about "favorite lists" from a few years ago.

My favorite bars top five list (current or gone)

In no particular order.

* Grumpys - NE Mpls. Home away from home since day one.

*At Randum - Milwaukee. Classic Wisc. bar set in an old house. Looks awesome and has classic drinks. I'd like to live there.

*Nyes - Mpls. The original bar/restaurant was amazing imo. The new incarnation is fine but it is not the same.

*PS Lounge - Denver. Great dive bar. Owner is usually hanging out and is a cool dude. Super friendly bartenders.

*Red Carpet - St. Cloud. Haven't been there since the early 90's, but I have very fond memories of that place. Sooo many levels/bars to choose from. Live music there was always great.

Honorable Mention.
Hala Kahiki - Chicago
Betty's Bar - Duluth or close to Duluth. The owner, Kenny is crazy.

I'd have to do some thinking about my favorites, but I should mention for those who don't already know: Thrillist has published a mess of articles on the nation's best dive bars as well as a list of the best for most major cities. I always refer to it while I'm traveling and try to at least make it to one, if not do a mini rampage, solo or with (a) friend(s).

Got back from a short two-day trip to Milwaukee. Visited a few of my favorite bars. It's been six years since I've been to any of them. Got me thinking about "favorite lists" from a few years ago.

My favorite bars top five list (current or gone)

In no particular order.

* Grumpys - NE Mpls. Home away from home since day one.

*At Randum - Milwaukee. Classic Wisc. bar set in an old house. Looks awesome and has classic drinks. I'd like to live there.

*Nyes - Mpls. The original bar/restaurant was amazing imo. The new incarnation is fine but it is not the same.

*PS Lounge - Denver. Great dive bar. Owner is usually hanging out and is a cool dude. Super friendly bartenders.

*Red Carpet - St. Cloud. Haven't been there since the early 90's, but I have very fond memories of that place. Sooo many levels/bars to choose from. Live music there was always great.

Honorable Mention.
Hala Kahiki - Chicago
Betty's Bar - Duluth or close to Duluth. The owner, Kenny is crazy.
I grew up in the St. Cloud area and have never been to Red Carpet. I used to be mildly embarrassed to admit that but now wear it as a badge of honor.

FINALLY, a thread worth discussing! My first go off the top of my head:

1. Beer Sellar, Nashville -- My favorite bar in my second favorite city. A must stop every time I'm in Nashville, including all Gopher appearances in the Music City Bowl. We always flood the juke box with MN music (Dylan, Prince, Lizzo, etc.).
2. Bullwinkle's -- Every Thursday night during college and also my wedding night.
3. Nye's -- Just classic and also my wedding day.
4. Cardinal -- sponsored our co-rec softball team for many years, lots of fun memories.
5. Bitter & Pour (fka The Doggery), Rochester -- current favorite in my current city. Cool speakeasy vibe, known for their mixed drinks. The first time I walked in they were playing Jurassic 5, and it instantly became my new favorite.

FINALLY, a thread worth discussing! My first go off the top of my head:

1. Beer Sellar, Nashville -- My favorite bar in my second favorite city. A must stop every time I'm in Nashville, including all Gopher appearances in the Music City Bowl. We always flood the juke box with MN music (Dylan, Prince, Lizzo, etc.).
2. Bullwinkle's -- Every Thursday night during college and also my wedding night.
3. Nye's -- Just classic and also my wedding day.
4. Cardinal -- sponsored our co-rec softball team for many years, lots of fun memories.
5. Bitter & Pour (fka The Doggery), Rochester -- current favorite in my current city. Cool speakeasy vibe, known for their mixed drinks. The first time I walked in they were playing Jurassic 5, and it instantly became my new favorite.
What? You didn’t like my Souhan thread?

One Protein bars are my favorite if I'm on the run and need quick protein. I used to like Quest bars but they changed their formula and I am not a fan anymore.

Go Gophers!!

I grew up in the St. Cloud area and have never been to Red Carpet. I used to be mildly embarrassed to admit that but now wear it as a badge of honor.
Nah. Had a sibling at SCSU. The carpet, the Press, McRudy’s, these were legendary for a kid with a fake ID and a sibling who really wasn’t very responsible.

Spot bar, St. Paul. Oldest bar in Minnesota, perhaps. Great bar for drinks, and that is all. There are a lot if these, but they are in am
i going to die neighborhoods.

Half Time Rec, St. Paul. Great Irish music, and a bar for drinking.

Billys Victorian, St Paul Neighborhood bar in Frogtown. People are small town nice in urban setting.

St. Paul Saloon, East Side. Good food, great drinks, well managed. You won’t die, but the place has a biker edge.

One Protein bars are my favorite if I'm on the run and need quick protein. I used to like Quest bars but they changed their formula and I am not a fan anymore.

Go Gophers!!
Cliff. Crunchy peanut butter.
Period.
Paragraph.
Full stop.

Best bar I've been in in my life...Temple Bar in Dublin. The live music, the broad spectrum of age enjoying the music and beer together, the atmosphere, the happiness, just awesome. Temple Bar needs to be on your bucket list.

Go Dublin!!

Go Gophers!!
The protein breakfast bars from Kind are my new favorite. Lots of good stuff for a bar and low(er) sugar.

Best bar I've been in in my life...Temple Bar in Dublin. The live music, the broad spectrum of age enjoying the music and beer together, the atmosphere, the happiness, just awesome. Temple Bar needs to be on your bucket list.

Go Dublin!!
Bucket list, yes. But it's also a tourist bar. LOTS of cool bars around Ireland, obviously. Including the small towns. I found that Irish person love talking to Americans at the pub, most have family over here, so that's cool.

Nah. Had a sibling at SCSU. The carpet, the Press, McRudy’s, these were legendary for a kid with a fake ID and a sibling who really wasn’t very responsible.
Jimmy's Pour House in Sauk Rapids before they renovated 20+ years ago.

Jimmy's Pour House in Sauk Rapids before they renovated 20+ years ago.
Speaking of St. Cloud... I really liked the Flat Iron bar as well. It was right behind the court house right next to the train tracks. The whole place shook when a train went by.

Speaking of St. Cloud... I really liked the Flat Iron bar as well. It was right behind the court house right next to the train tracks. The whole place shook when a train went by.
Great burger, served by Darrell.

Bucket list, yes. But it's also a tourist bar. LOTS of cool bars around Ireland, obviously. Including the small towns. I found that Irish person love talking to Americans at the pub, most have family over here, so that's cool.

Agreed on it being a Tourist bar, and agreed the pubs in smaller towns are amazing as well. Truly a magical country to visit.

Go Gophers!!

Paul's Club - Madison, WI
Earl's Saloon and Grocery - La Crosse, WI
Essen Haus - Madison, WI
Sunrise Inn - Mpls (now called Bull's Horn?)
Most any Microbrewery in the Twin Cities, always fun to check them out.
Had a lot of good times at Williams in uptown when I was a lot younger.
My friends basement bar in the NW burbs of the Twin Cities, great selection and the price is always right. (i.e. free)

Used to really like Club Jager, prior to the owner's support of David Duke becoming public knowledge.

Best protein bar is the Quest Birthday Cake. I do like the One Brand Maple Glazed Donut protein bar as well.

Paul's Club - Madison, WI
Essen Haus - Madison, WI
Sunrise Inn - Mpls (now called Bull's Horn?)
Most any Microbrewery in the Twin Cities, always fun to check them out.
Had a lot of good times at Williams in uptown when I was a lot younger.
My friends basement bar in the NW burbs of the Twin Cities, great selection and the price is always right. (i.e. free)

Used to really like Club Jager, prior to the owner's support of David Duke becoming public knowledge.

Best protein bar is the Quest Birthday Cake. I do like the One Brand Maple Glazed Donut protein bar as well.
Essen Haus!? So do we have you to blame for the 14-year curse?

Well, I quit drinking in 1986, so I don't go to many bars these days.

Back in my drinking days, when I lived in the Twin Cities, my spots were
Culla's - an Augsburg Dive Bar
The 5 Corners Saloon
The Cabooze

later on, I used to hit this place called Stand-Up Frank's. Little dive bar that served the world's strongest mixed drinks. I swear the ratio was 75% booze to 25% mix.

The 5 Corners Saloon
The Cabooze

later on, I used to hit this place called Stand-Up Frank's. Little dive bar that served the world's strongest mixed drinks. I swear the ratio was 75% booze to 25% mix.
I once left Stand Up Franks bleeding. No idea how/why. It was a great place when underage.

Spot bar, St. Paul. Oldest bar in Minnesota, perhaps. Great bar for drinks, and that is all. There are a lot if these, but they are in am
i going to die neighborhoods.

Half Time Rec, St. Paul. Great Irish music, and a bar for drinking.

Billys Victorian, St Paul Neighborhood bar in Frogtown. People are small town nice in urban setting.

St. Paul Saloon, East Side. Good food, great drinks, well managed. You won’t die, but the place has a biker edge.
The Spot Bar is.... interesting for sure.

Franks was good and all, but BJs was just around the corner. The sign outside said they had color TV so we went there.

The 5 Corners Saloon
The Cabooze

Speaking of Augsburg and strong drinks, another joint from back in the day was Blondie's on the Avenue. It was where the Triple Rock Social Club was later. They catered to both Augsburg and U of M students as well as neighborhood townies. It was a great social and cultural mixer. And, like Martini's in Pottersville, it was a place to get strong drinks and get drunk fast. Wednesdays were "Get Ripped Wednesday," where the special was 3-for-1s (!). They also had something called Blondie's Death March: 20 imported beers. If you could drink them all in one day, you earned a certificate. Those were the fuckin' days, man.

6. Cloggy's - my neighborhood bar when I lived in Nokomis. Prepared to have your Minneapolis bona fides questioned.
7. The Local - as close to Dublin as you'll get in MN.
8. Stub & Herb's
9. Old Capital Tavern, Sauk Rapids
10. Town Hall

What do you like about this one? I've visited a couple bars in town. But La Crosse has one of the highest bars per capita in the country lol.

What do you like about this one? I've visited a couple bars in town. But La Crosse has one of the highest bars per capita in the country lol.
They always have a real good beer selection (for my tastes), cool old building, great bar name, and I know one of the owners who's a really really fun guy. I've always had a blast when I've been there. Knowing one of the owners makes it a bit more personal for me though.

Top Bottom