Favorable B1G Schedule

borninthebarn

True Believer
Reaction score
Just taking a look at our conference schedule and we seem to have a favorable slate.

The top 4 preseason picks (IU, Mich, OSU, MSU) all play each other twice, while we play Michigan (home) and Ohio State (away) only once each. Illinois also misses 2 of these teams, playing Indiana (home) and MSU (away) once each.

It is certainly thinking ahead a bit, but with the top beating up on each other if we win the games we should and win at home against MSU and Illinois, even if we lose all 4 to IU/OSU/um it would not be shocking to be looking at a top 3 finish with 6-7 losses.

Long way to go and lots to prove but our schedule isn't too bad.

Another quirk, as of now 4 games slated for ESPN/2, all at home - MSU, um, UW, IU.

The key is going to be winning the ones we are supposed to. There are going to be a lot of FSU type games on the road and we'll have to win every one to go for a top 3 finish.

I separated our season into 3 tiers of 6 games each based on difficulty which is of course my opinion.

Tier 1 (Most winnable) (6-0)

vs Northwestern
vs Nebraska
vs Iowa
vs Penn State
@ Nebraska
@ Purdue

Tier 2 (4-2)

vs Michigan State
@ Illinois
@ Northwestern
vs Illinois
vs Wisconsin
@Iowa

Tier 3 (2-4)

@ Indiana
vs Michigan
@ Wisconsin
@ Michigan State
@ Ohio State
vs Indiana

I think we can go 12-6 but I don't know if that is enough for 3rd in the Big Ten.

Nice analysis tmvander. I'll go with that too as an optimistic, mostly realistic Gopher fan.

I separated our season into 3 tiers of 6 games each based on difficulty which is of course my opinion.

Tier 1 (Most winnable) (6-0)

vs Northwestern
vs Nebraska
vs Iowa
vs Penn State
@ Nebraska
@ Purdue

Tier 2 (4-2)

vs Michigan State
@ Illinois
@ Northwestern
vs Illinois
vs Wisconsin
@Iowa

Tier 3 (2-4)

@ Indiana
vs Michigan
@ Wisconsin
@ Michigan State
@ Ohio State
vs Indiana

I think we can go 12-6 but I don't know if that is enough for 3rd in the Big Ten.

While I enjoy the optimistic view, Personally I think a 5-1, 3-3, and 2-4 is more likely. MN always seems to lose a game or two you dont see coming...although 12-6 would be fantastic, I would be happy with a 10-8 conference record.

Top Bottom