Father of Neb DC Erik Chinander dies in car accident

Story says there is no word on whether Chinander will travel with the team to the game tomorrow but I can't imagine any scenario where you would be in a position to coach a football game less than 48 hours after your father dies suddenly like that.

Family is more important than football. I feel the family's pain and tragedy.

Damn. That sucks. Just absolutely sucks. Condolences.

I hope we can do something classy for him at the game. I don't know what we could do, heartbreaking for him.
I would assume there will be a moment of silence. Pretty standard when something like this happens just before a game. That really is about all we can do.

The update says he traveled with the team to Minneapolis.
Not judging him as I don't know the circumstances. I hope he doesn't regret that.

Not judging him as I don't know the circumstances. I hope he doesn't regret that.
The funeral won't be till next week in all likelihood and they have a bye coming up. A death in the family is never convenient, but it makes sense he's gonna push through, and then turn his attention to his family during the bye.

I'm sure the funeral won't be Monday, but perhaps later in the week. His dad probably is a die hard Husker fan and would tell his son to coach and then say good by later. However, I wouldn't think he would be in the greatest frame of mind to coach or perhaps a good distraction for a bit.

I agree, I hope he doesn't regret his decision, but I'm sure at least I hope that Frost would allow him to leave if he felt later it was getting the best of him. Meanwhile, my thoughts to the coach.

Agree that this is not something for us (or anyone else) to judge.

Everyone deals with grief differently. Some could never work in this sort of situation. Others? The very best thing they could do is be with their work friends, totally absorbed in a mission, surrounded by the college kids they love - no room to plummet into depression.

I'm sure there will be an acknowledgement at the start of the game. PJ is a goodhearted classy man.

The funeral won't be till next week in all likelihood and they have a bye coming up. A death in the family is never convenient, but it makes sense he's gonna push through, and then turn his attention to his family during the bye.
I know from the death of my wife last year that establishing a sense of normalcy was important to me when I was utterly heartbroken. If he can go with the team, by all means. He has other family members that can help in these trying times. Every person deals with a tragedy or a profound loss differently. His dad will be watching over him with love.

Top Bottom