Fast Food Tips

tmvander

Reaction score
I've noticed that adding a tip at different fast food restaurants is becoming more of a common theme.

Last week we had Subway and Papa Murphy's and tips were suggested when using a card at both. Any time you get take out a tip is an option, other sub and sandwich places, etc.

Does this bother anyone? I generally throw a tip on each time because I don't want to be "that guy" but these are high school kids that are now probably making 20+ per hour working fast food.

I've noticed that adding a tip at different fast food restaurants is becoming more of a common theme.

Last week we had Subway and Papa Murphy's and tips were suggested when using a card at both. Any time you get take out a tip is an option, other sub and sandwich places, etc.

Does this bother anyone? I generally throw a tip on each time because I don't want to be "that guy" but these are high school kids that are now probably making 20+ per hour working fast food.
Living in LV, I'm about shocked anymore when I sign a credit card ticket that does NOT have a line for tip. It's literally the first thing I'm looking for.

I try to avoid fast food at all costs so I don't know that I can help you much on this one, other than that for the standard nation/worldwide fast food chain, there's probably no way that I'm leaving a tip. There has to be SOME service performed in the tipping of said service; bringing it to the table, clearing the table, filling the water/drinks, whatever.

Someone behind the counter does not warrant a tip, although I know tipping at the coffee place (Starbucks, Dutch Bros, Caribou, et al) is commonplace.

Living in LV, I'm about shocked anymore when I sign a credit card ticket that does NOT have a line for tip. It's literally the first thing I'm looking for.

I try to avoid fast food at all costs so I don't know that I can help you much on this one, other than that for the standard nation/worldwide fast food chain, there's probably no way that I'm leaving a tip. There has to be SOME service performed in the tipping of said service; bringing it to the table, clearing the table, filling the water/drinks, whatever.

Someone behind the counter does not warrant a tip, although I know tipping at the coffee place (Starbucks, Dutch Bros, Caribou, et al) is commonplace.
Good call on coffee...I'm not a coffee drinker but that is probably another example although we tip bartenders for filling a glass too.

Good call on coffee...I'm not a coffee drinker but that is probably another example although we tip bartenders for filling a glass too.
I'm most definitely not opposed to tipping someone who has direct control over the quality of your product. Words to live by.

Saved your ass, only cost you a quarter

We tip bartenders because they are better. They serve water and alcohol. Alcohol deserves our thanks.

I'd like a tip about fast food. What is the deal with Raising Canes?

Pre-pandemic the only time I have ate there was in Stadium Village before a Gopher basketball game. I had a very tasty chicken tender sandwich, but not mind blowing. I would say on par with Chick-Fil-A, a little better than Wendy's.

Since March, I don't think I have driven by the Cane's in Apple Valley without seeing 30+ cars waiting in the drive-thru. One time I counted over 60 cars waiting (not hyperbole). Why would anyone wait for an hour plus?!?!? What am I missing?

Yesterday, I just happened to be in Eagan and there were only 2 cars in line (early just before 11am) at that location. If felt like an opportunity I could not pass up so I went there, even though I was not really hungry. I had the chicken sandwich again, tasted as I remembered it.

I'd like a tip about fast food. What is the deal with Raising Canes?

Pre-pandemic the only time I have ate there was in Stadium Village before a Gopher basketball game. I had a very tasty chicken tender sandwich, but not mind blowing. I would say on par with Chick-Fil-A, a little better than Wendy's.

Since March, I don't think I have driven by the Cane's in Apple Valley without seeing 30+ cars waiting in the drive-thru. One time I counted over 60 cars waiting (not hyperbole). Why would anyone wait for an hour plus?!?!? What am I missing?

Yesterday, I just happened to be in Eagan and there were only 2 cars in line (early just before 11am) at that location. If felt like an opportunity I could not pass up so I went there, even though I was not really hungry. I had the chicken sandwich again, tasted as I remembered it.
I’ve had it twice. Pretty good chicken. I also do not understand the lines. I went to the Shoreview one a number of months back and saw a line that went twice around the drive through. Figured it would take about an hour to sit in that line. I laughed and said to myself “what the F”? and proceeded to go to Five Guys where there was no line. Who has so little to do that you’re willing to sit in that kinda line for fast food chicken?

I’ve had it twice. Pretty good chicken. I also do not understand the lines. I went to the Shoreview one a number of months back and saw a line that went twice around the drive through. Figured it would take about an hour to sit in that line. I laughed and said to myself “what the F”? and proceeded to go to Five Guys where there was no line. Who has so little to do that you’re willing to sit in that kinda line for fast food chicken?

Yeah, waiting for an hour takes the "fast" part out of the equation. The only plausible explanation I could come up with is that lines are made up of Uber Eats/Postmates drivers, getting paid to sit in their car.

Yeah, waiting for an hour takes the "fast" part out of the equation. The only plausible explanation I could come up with is that lines are made up of Uber Eats/Postmates drivers, getting paid to sit in their car.
Aren’t those guys paid by the order (i.e. not paid by the hour)? I had that same thought- order via Uber eats and make them sit in line. But then I figured I would have to tip really well because I’d feel guilty if I made them sit in their car for an hour for a $4 tip. Of course, I don’t really know how those things work as I’ve only used a 3rd party food delivery thing once.

I don't know how that works either, I assumed there was some of time element to the equation or "peak volume".

We've done the Chick-fil-A in Rochester a few times during Covid. They added two extra drive thru lines and have kids out taking your order on little tablets. Lots of cars but you move through surprisingly quickly.

It's been interesting to see how different restaurants have responded to the pandemic. Some get innovative and adapt; others whine about it and close. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rochester Chick-fil-A is doing more business now than pre-pandemic.

We've been getting takeout and and/or drive- thru a couple of times a week. We tip well when we're at a restaurant or bar. We very rarely tipped for takeout and never at a drive-thru before the pandemic.

We now tip at them all the time.

They're having a rough time and we can afford an extra $4-$10. The responses have been kind of amazing. "Are you sure? THANKS!". A perfunctory "Thank you" has only happened twice.

Might even say "keep the change" after all this stuff is done.

Hot girl privilege. I'm ok with it.
This showed up on my FB. Algorithms...amirite?

My barista even complimented me on my shirt yesterday. It was a t-shirt from a local brewery. She said her boyfriend is a brewer there. Now I'm wondering if she was being truthful or just her way of saying, "I think you're cool, but my boyfriend's cooler than you." I tip $1 on a $3 drink. And it's not even a complicated specialty drink. I get an Arnie Palmer, which is just ice, pre-brewed tea, and lemonade. WFT is wrong with me?

We've been getting takeout and and/or drive- thru a couple of times a week. We tip well when we're at a restaurant or bar. We very rarely tipped for takeout and never at a drive-thru before the pandemic.

We now tip at them all the time.

They're having a rough time and we can afford an extra $4-$10. The responses have been kind of amazing. "Are you sure? THANKS!". A perfunctory "Thank you" has only happened twice.

Might even say "keep the change" after all this stuff is done.

Same story here. Rarely tipped for takeout before, but do now. Even if min wage has increased, I figured hours have been cut, bills are less due to lack of beverage sales etc.

I asked my wife if she tips at the coffee shop. She said no. Maybe I should go with my wife from now on. But I'm afraid it might get awkward. Like, should I introduce my wife to my barista?

I asked my wife if she tips at the coffee shop. She said no. Maybe I should go with my wife from now on. But I'm afraid it might get awkward. Like, should I introduce my wife to my barista?
No. Let them continue to think the other doesn't exist.

This showed up on my FB. Algorithms...amirite?

My barista even complimented me on my shirt yesterday. It was a t-shirt from a local brewery. She said her boyfriend is a brewer there. Now I'm wondering if she was being truthful or just her way of saying, "I think you're cool, but my boyfriend's cooler than you." I tip $1 on a $3 drink. And it's not even a complicated specialty drink. I get an Arnie Palmer, which is just ice, pre-brewed tea, and lemonade. WFT is wrong with me?
I gotta say that barista's don't do much for me. I'm more of a Trader Joe's checkout girl kind of guy.

I gotta say that barista's don't do much for me. I'm more of a Trader Joe's checkout girl kind of guy.
You guys are sick and I am offended at your objectification of women. And which Trader Joe's?

Top Bottom