Farrell's CFB Tiers: Which Programs Should Be Considered the Sport's Best? (Tier 4: The bottom feeders that no one cares about nationally - Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Farrell:

Tier Four​

— The bottom feeders that no one cares about nationally and who don’t have the history, resources, or support to be relevant.

• Arizona State
  • Baylor
  • Boston College
  • BYU
  • Cal
  • Cincinnati
  • Colorado
  • Duke
  • Georgia Tech
  • Houston
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa State
  • Kansas
  • Maryland
  • Minnesota
  • Northwestern
  • Pitt
  • Purdue
  • Rutgers
  • SMU
  • Stanford
  • Syracuse
  • Texas Tech
  • Vanderbilt
  • Virginia
  • Wake Forest
  • West Virginia

Go Gophers!!

Hate to say this is about right. We've had glimpse of success and really believe we would have gotten over the hump if it weren't for NIL. While we're doing better with NIL, we can't compete with the big boys as to spending.

Per Farrell:

Tier Four​

— The bottom feeders that no one cares about nationally and who don’t have the history, resources, or support to be relevant.

• Arizona State
  • Baylor
  • Boston College
  • BYU
  • Cal
  • Cincinnati
  • Colorado
  • Duke
  • Georgia Tech
  • Houston
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa State
  • Kansas
  • Maryland
  • Minnesota
  • Northwestern
  • Pitt
  • Purdue
  • Rutgers
  • SMU
  • Stanford
  • Syracuse
  • Texas Tech
  • Vanderbilt
  • Virginia
  • Wake Forest
  • West Virginia

Go Gophers!!

Well, which category are Iowa and Wisconsin. There's your answer. Not Four.

Gophers will get dissed because of the bad year.

New QB next year.

Per Farrell:

Tier Four​

• Arizona State
  • Baylor
  • Boston College
  • BYU
  • Cal
  • Cincinnati
  • Colorado
  • Duke
  • Georgia Tech
  • Houston
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa State
  • Kansas
  • Maryland
  • Minnesota
  • Northwestern
  • Pitt
  • Purdue
  • Rutgers
  • SMU
  • Stanford
  • Syracuse
  • Texas Tech
  • Vanderbilt
  • Virginia
  • Wake Forest
  • West Virginia

Go Gophers!!
Who the hell is Mike Farrel?

Hate to say this is about right. We've had glimpse of success and really believe we would have gotten over the hump if it weren't for NIL. While we're doing better with NIL, we can't compete with the big boys as to spending.
What are the big boys spending?

What are we spending?

Until someone can show receipts, it is all speculation.

With this revelation, coupled with the earlier news of the crumbling foundation, it’s obvious - let’s just disband the Gopher Football Program.

Looks about right but what does it mean unless the 68 teams are broken into different leagues?

This tier list is a joke. No argument from me that Minnesota is essentially irrelevant in the “national conversation.” Who cares.

But Iowa, Wisconsin, and Nebraska in tier 2? UCF and Arizona above the Gophers in tier 3?

I shouldn’t have given this shill what he wanted: a click.

Who the hell is Mike Farrel?

Exactly!! Reminds me of the stooges from Front Office Sports (Who???) who said MN had a culture of intimidation and toxicity earlier this year. Apparently, if you post it everyone should acknowledge it as having any value.

This tier list is a joke. No argument from me that Minnesota is essentially irrelevant in the “national conversation.” Who cares.

But Iowa, Wisconsin, and Nebraska in tier 2? UCF and Arizona above the Gophers in tier 3?

I shouldn’t have given this shill what he wanted: a click.
Nebraska is there on their reputation from the 90s.
As much as I don't like it, Wisconsin and Iowa are consistently in the top 25 (or at least close) and pretty regularly play in NYD bowl games.

Nebraska is there on their reputation from the 90s.
As much as I don't like it, Wisconsin and Iowa are consistently in the top 25 (or at least close) and pretty regularly play in NYD bowl games.
Wisconsin really hasn’t been any better than us over the past 5-6 years. They are coasting on their reputation just as much as Nebraska is.

I hear you but Wisconsin won the Orange Bowl about six years ago and played in the Rose Bowl 4 or so years ago. Not not mention all the other major bowls and B10 championship games last 30 years. We haven’t been to a major bowl (Rose) in a half century. We can hate it but there is a reason Wisconsin is viewed as a major program. Same for Iowa.

I see he started his new venture about 18 months ago. My guess is this is a "traffic" story for clicks and advertising.

Per Farrell:

Tier Four​

• Arizona State
  • Baylor
  • Boston College
  • BYU
  • Cal
  • Cincinnati
  • Colorado
  • Duke
  • Georgia Tech
  • Houston
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa State
  • Kansas
  • Maryland
  • Minnesota
  • Northwestern
  • Pitt
  • Purdue
  • Rutgers
  • SMU
  • Stanford
  • Syracuse
  • Texas Tech
  • Vanderbilt
  • Virginia
  • Wake Forest
  • West Virginia

Go Gophers!!
"Who don't have history."
Cal, Colorado, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Minnesota, Pitt and Syracuse have a combined 32 national championships.

Interesting list.
Not sure Oregon and Penn state belong in tier 1.
Notre dame, Michigan, Penn state, and Oregon are the 4 in tier 1 without a BCS or CFP national title.
Notre dame, Oregon, and Michigan have multiple appearances. I would out Michigan and Notre Dame ahead of Oregon for historical reasons.

Oregon I could be talked into. Penn state doesn’t belong.

After tier 1 it is a really strange list. UCF, MS State, and Arizona in tier 3 with some programs who have done a lot of winning in tier 4?

This just in. National sports writer only cares about 3 games. Plenty of people care about every team in every tier.

Seriously Mike Farrel, ha, ha, what does ”Hot Lips” think. What really would be the point of a list like this, other than to get people to repost.
Never cared much what actors thought about anything, unless they agree with me of course.

if sports writers/bloggers etc were forbidden by law from publishing "list" articles, their output would drop by about 50%.

it's an easy way to fill space and generate some reaction - putting teams in tiers, listing the top 10 QB's, etc.

it's on the same level as news organizations and polls. don't have any story ideas? run a poll and get people to react to the poll.

C’mon. NIL has not gotten in the way of taking a step since 2019. There is no reason with how bad the West is for us to not win it once. The only player lost due to NIL was Bucky, and NIL is in good shape now compare to all in current Big Ten but OSU, Michigan, and Penn State - maybe MSU. We have always been behind those schools.

While we haven’t gotten over the hjmp we are right there with Wisconsin and Iowa - there is nothing those programs have built in that should put them ahead of us. There shouldn’t be multiple tiers - there are really two. Those with resources and willingness to do pay for play, and those who are willing to do NIL but not pay for play. Until that gets figured out it’s going to be ridiculous.

Top Bottom