Fargo Forum reporting Chris klieman possible candidate for the Gophers

Bohl has the personality of stale bread.

That's my issue with this idea. He took over a dynasty at NDSU. He'd need to maintain the program for a few more years before I'd even consider this a possibility.

There isn't 1/10 th truth to the fact that Kleiman is living off of Bohls recruits. Most of the top recruits at NDSU were brought in by Kleiman even under Bohl, and the quarterbacks they have been recruiting our way better than anything we have seen in 10 plus years.

To me Fleck in the MAC didn't really beat anyone any better than NDSU did during this season, and Kleiman has a Big 10 win to his credit in Iowa City, at Kinnick stadium, something I know is an incredibly hard thing to do. If you have been to Kinnick you know how on top of the field the fans are and how hostile that stadium can be. I want someone that I believe can beat Wisconsin and Iowa, and Nebraska at the same game and for the same area recruits we compete for. I don't understand what the arrogance about the success at NDSU Kleiman has had and why people are belittling it. Stop putting your nose in the air when the answers are right in front of your face. This coach get's the modern player, how to relate to them and how to make them successful.

Minnesota needs that more than most realize. NDSU's talent level for football is a lot better than most here give them credit for it just is. I have seen them play enough both live and on TV to see that they have success for a reason. Kleiman can do everything that Fleck can do, except he knows the X's and O's and we would not just be a stepping stone for him.
If Kleiman were here he would make this his program, and his legacy, something I don't believe Fleck is inclined to do. Your asking Kleiman to risk a lot leaving that successful program and area to come to Minnesota, which has been the coaching graveyard of Big 10 coaches. We have a lot at stake, for me I want someone that can take the current group and elevate them, not turn back the clock to losing 3 years in a row before we even sniff 6-5 again. Focus on the results, they went into K State and beat Bill Snyder too, so it's not like it is a new thing for this staff to beat D1 level competition.

That head coach Kleimen, he get's defense at a Big 10 level, I want a part of that. Take the arrogance blinders off from the Big 10 for a minute, his coaching style, is someone that can win at Minnesota. That Kleiman, the dude get's how to win in a Big 10 environment. He get's the X's and O's something Fleck has already admitted other people are better at, and he is good at bringing in the Johnny's and Joe's.

There isn't 1/10 th truth to the fact that Kleiman is living off of Bohls recruits. Most of the top recruits at NDSU were brought in by Kleiman even under Bohl, and the quarterbacks they have been recruiting our way better than anything we have seen in 10 plus years.

To me Fleck in the MAC didn't really beat anyone any better than NDSU did during this season, and Kleiman has a Big 10 win to his credit in Iowa City, at Kinnick stadium, something I know is an incredibly hard thing to do. If you have been to Kinnick you know how on top of the field the fans are and how hostile that stadium can be. I want someone that I believe can beat Wisconsin and Iowa, and Nebraska at the same game and for the same area recruits we compete for. I don't understand what the arrogance about the success at NDSU Kleiman has had and why people are belittling it. Stop putting your nose in the air when the answers are right in front of your face. This coach get's the modern player, how to relate to them and how to make them successful.

Minnesota needs that more than most realize. NDSU's talent level for football is a lot better than most here give them credit for it just is. I have seen them play enough both live and on TV to see that they have success for a reason. Kleiman can do everything that Fleck can do, except he knows the X's and O's and we would not just be a stepping stone for him.
If Kleiman were here he would make this his program, and his legacy, something I don't believe Fleck is inclined to do. Your asking Kleiman to risk a lot leaving that successful program and area to come to Minnesota, which has been the coaching graveyard of Big 10 coaches. We have a lot at stake, for me I want someone that can take the current group and elevate them, not turn back the clock to losing 3 years in a row before we even sniff 6-5 again. Focus on the results, they went into K State and beat Bill Snyder too, so it's not like it is a new thing for this staff to beat D1 level competition.

That head coach Kleimen, he get's defense at a Big 10 level, I want a part of that. Take the arrogance blinders off from the Big 10 for a minute, his is someone that can win at Minnesota, and the dude get's how to win in a Big 10 environment. He get's the X's and O's something Fleck has already admitted other people are better at, and he get's bringing in the Johnny's and Joe's.

Kleimen is riding the wave started by Bohl. He needs to prove that he can win with his OWN teams. Like a said....this would be a lame duck hire that needs to be avoided.

With the way Coyle/Kaler handled this, they have but one option and that's to hire a homerun. NDSU's 'new' coach
would most definitely not be it. Coyle has to hire a guy that gets us at least 6 wins next year and a bowl berth to
justify firing Tracy. Klieman would be a 'i need 4-5 years and my recruits for success' type guy. That's not going to
cut it. Not even close..

There's no question Carson Wentz fits that bill, but I'm not sure you want to go there with Easton Stick. And I do watch Valley football.

I really think a Klieman type is about the best we can do.

Word is it's Fleck and that an announcement will come as soon as tomorrow afternoon, Saturday at the latest.

We need our Barry Alvarez or Kirk Ferentz, sometimes the cream rises to the top even when they are doubted. I know there are many skeptics because of FCS, but Klieman get's football and he get's Big 10 football. Many just don't know it yet, we are not above this hire, and we need someone that can move us forward not backward.

Love your enthusiasm but winning one game against a Big-10 team doesn't equate to knowing Big-10 football. Also, recruiting at the NDSU does not correlate with being able to recruit at this level.

Word is it's Fleck and that an announcement will come as soon as tomorrow afternoon, Saturday at the latest.

I'm only down with Fleck as coach if he manages to keep Jay Sawvel, Brian Anderson, and Mike Sherels. I don't think he is long to stay here and will not be the home run hire we desire.

I'm only down with Fleck as coach if he manages to keep Jay Sawvel, Brian Anderson, and Mike Sherels. I don't think he is long to stay here and will not be the home run hire we desire.

Neither is the NDSU coach

I would take Klieman in a heartbeat, we would have one of the most physical OL's in the Big 10, and for whatever reason NDSU always has a QB. They have had good QB's for 10 years. This staff is great at identifying athlete's who are good football players. This staff also has good inroads in Florida and Texas.

I am with gopherdudepart2
I live in Fargo. Klieman would be an excellent choice. High energy and a high character person.
He is a defensive mastermind and a solid recruiter. I would like to have Bohl but his new contract buyout puts him out of reach.
Klieman would be a step up and not a step down from the current staff!!!!

Again I think some are short changing Klieman. I honestly feel he is a much better overall coach than Fleck. Fleck is flashy and has done well recruiting for Western Michigan but the Western Michigan talent really isn't that much different than NDSU. What is like for Western going to be next season after Davis? NDSU under Bohl/Klieman have at least proven consistency for many years in this region.

Again I think some are short changing Klieman. I honestly feel he is a much better overall coach than Fleck. Fleck is flashy and has done well recruiting for Western Michigan but the Western Michigan talent really isn't that much different than NDSU. What is like for Western going to be next season after Davis? NDSU under Bohl/Klieman have at least proven consistency for many years in this region.

Klieman might be the next Nick Saban.... but his resume so far is really cloudy with the shadow of Bohl hanging over it.

Has everyone forgotten that Jim Wacker won national championships at NDSU, plus a few more at other schools, yet bombed at the U? Claeys will be snapped up, probably as a coordinator, while we flounder yet again because of misjudgments by administrators.

Has everyone forgotten that Jim Wacker won national championships at NDSU, plus a few more at other schools, yet bombed at the U? Claeys will be snapped up, probably as a coordinator, while we flounder yet again because of misjudgments by administrators.

No we didn't forget, we just don't want to talk about him...

Wacker was a different time period as well. He was coaching a D-II NDSU and not a FCS NDSU. Big difference.

Wow, that is depressing if true. I think Coyle should just resign and leave it to the next AD if that's the best he can muster. So much for Kaler's "rock star" hire. Can't believe Coyle did not have anyone lined up...
This is the Maturi/Mason thing all over again: firing after bowls, at the end of recruiting, and having no replacement set up. Get rid of Coyle.

Just think how boring life would be for us gopher fans if we didn't have the opportunity to go through this process every 5-6 years !!!?

Per Burns I assume?

Last night MJH said that Fleck wanted the job bad and that if he is Coyle's guy, it will be a "layup."

Nice, lets hope Burns is right.

I don't know how to feel about PJ. I feel this is very high risk / reward with that guy and when we crash our program crashes hard..... but something decisive from the AD would be nice.

I refuse to believe that he's a legitimate candidate. It would make an indefensible firing go from terrible to catastrophic. Chris f'ing Klieman. Dear Lord. Five years ago, Tracy Claeys was a DC in the Big Ten and Chris Klieman was the DB coach at NDAC. Awesome.

I refuse to believe that he's a legitimate candidate. It would make an indefensible firing go from terrible to catastrophic. Chris f'ing Klieman. Dear Lord. Five years ago, Tracy Claeys was a DC in the Big Ten and Chris Klieman was the DB coach at NDAC. Awesome.

In a very morbid way I'd love to see Coyle try to introduce Klieman.... like wat?

But I agree, I can't imagine he's the guy.

In a very morbid way I'd love to see Coyle try to introduce Klieman.... like wat?

But I agree, I can't imagine he's the guy.

It'll be funny with him trying to introduce PJ Fleck.

This stuff doesn't bother me a ton, but after that self aggrandizing press conference, it will be hard to say that we are hiring PJ Fleck to restore the integrity of our football program.

It'll be funny with him trying to introduce PJ Fleck.

This stuff doesn't bother me a ton, but after that self aggrandizing press conference, it will be hard to say that we are hiring PJ Fleck to restore the integrity of our football program.

PJ... i mean I kinda get what the gist would be. I don't know if I'd pick the guy myself, but it would be such a stretch to argue Klieman is the guy.

Wacker was also national coach of the year at TCU. On paper, at the time of hiring, Wacker is the best hire the Gophers have had (although Mason is close). Wacker may have failed but he was a good hire at the time.

PJ... i mean I kinda get what the gist would be. I don't know if I'd pick the guy myself, but it would be such a stretch to argue Klieman is the guy.

With PJ, yeah, I get the gist.

I am just saying that after Coyle kept taking shots at Kill and Claeys about integrity, it will be funny to see him at a press conference introducing Fleck in light of the off the field rumors swirling around Fleck (I don't give them any credence, I don't know the man's personal life, I'm just saying that it makes the U look weird).

Top Bottom