Fanbases that feel worse than us...

MGGopher

Reaction score
I'm still pretty bummed about the loss to Purdue, but misery loves company so I've been pondering which fanbases of major programs probably feel as bad or worse than us right now. Feel free to add to this list and let it help ease your pain as it has mine!
  • MSU: Pretty much dominated by every P5 team they've played. Coach locked in to a laughable 10 year contract.
  • Colorado: Mike Sanford is their head coach. Let that sink in.
  • Miami: Whipped at home by Middle Tennessee State a couple weeks after being ranked. MTSU went on to lose to UTSA.
  • Texas AM: Squeaked by aforementioned Miami and Arkansas. Lost to App State while ranked in the top 10 and recently whipped by Miss St.
  • Pitt: Lost at home as 20+ point favorites to GT who recently fired their coach.
  • Oklahoma: Embarrassed by TCU a week after losing to KSU.
  • Wisconsin: Destroyed by Illinois at home (rushed for 2 yards) a week after being destroyed by OSU. Fired their coach. In last place in the B1G West.
  • Northwestern: Two years after winning the division, they've lost at home to teams from the MAC and FCS MVC. Their only win is over...
  • Nebraska: No explanation necessary.

Most of them? The Gophers have absolutely obliterated 4 of their 5 opponents this season.

Up until the Purdue game we might have been the most satisfied fanbase outside of Lawrence, Kansas. I'm disappointed in the loss but I feel like Gopher football is still in great shape, and there's lots of goals still on the table including the West title, Rose Bowl, and even CFP.

I was hoping we would be undefeated when we travelled to PSU, but I still have a good feeling about this season. The Purdue loss hurts, but it wasn't as bad as the loss to BG or Illinois last year. I still think we are the favorites to win the West, and a 10+ win season is very attainable. Hopefully the team responds well and the bye helps us get healthy.

Most of them? The Gophers have absolutely obliterated 4 of their 5 opponents this season.

Up until the Purdue game we might have been the most satisfied fanbase outside of Lawrence, Kansas. I'm disappointed in the loss but I feel like Gopher football is still in great shape, and there's lots of goals still on the table including the West title, Rose Bowl, and even CFP.
Thank you. We should feel better than the vast majority of programs right now. We lost a disappointing game to a conference opponent—so what? That describes almost every team every year not named Bama, UGA, Clemson, or Ohio State.

We can still have a great season.

We're 4-1, and tied for first place in our division, so I would imagine there are plenty of fanbases who "feel worse than us." Wouldn't you think so?

I mean, we can start with any team with a record worse than 4-1 (quite a large number of teams), and work our way back all the way to the winless ones.

Hmmmmm... is it possible Minnesotans are overreacting to one loss?

Ah, yes; it is possible. We are by nature a gloomy people, it seems.

Miami shouldn't be sad. Their opponent had the advantage of always practicing and playing in above average humidity...

Last edited:

The UM committed big Bucks to PJ. Get it done PJ and quit talking. No excuse for the PU loss. My patience is running low
What are you talking about? PJ’s salary coming starting the season was middle of the pack in the Big Ten West and in the lower middle half of the conference. If you want to argue results relative to his salary, he is meeting expectations.

Hey I’m not interested in being a part of a pity party for other programs. I’m 77 and have been waiting for over 6 decades for the Gophers to be relevant again. The UM committed big Bucks to PJ. Get it done PJ and quit talking. No excuse for the PU loss. My patience is running low

Wow... sounds kind of ominous. What will you do if you run out of patience?

Just think how far we've progressed as a fan base:

For decades, we moaned in abject Minnesotan misery about losing, losing, losing...

Now, we're quick to lose our shit if we're 4-1 and tied for first place through five games. I mean, if we can't even go undefeated, well, what's the point? We might as well hunker down and doom-and-gloom our way through the upcoming 7 months of winter.

For decades, we moaned in abject Minnesotan misery about losing, losing, losing...

Now, we're quick to lose our shit if we're 4-1 and tied for first place through five games. I mean, if we can't even go undefeated, well, what's the point? We might as well hunker down and doom-and-gloom our way through the upcoming 7 months of winter.
4-1 you say? That's not so bad. I may take the noose off.

I'd say everyone in the West besides maybe Illinois.

The handful of Northwestern fans I've ever met all seem pretty fatalistic about rando super down years and then up years. Not sure how deeply sad they are.

For all the randomly dissapointing games we get ... there are almost 0 teams who never take a dissapointing loss each year.

Yep, many of us were disappointed about a 9 win season last year. If you would have told me that 10 years ago I would have laughed.

The handful of Northwestern fans I've ever met all seem pretty fatalistic about rando super down years and then up years. Not sure how deeply sad they are.

For all the randomly dissapointing games we get ... there are almost 0 teams who never take a dissapointing loss each year.
A lot of people overlook this. Even many of the elite teams every year put up a stinker or two.

The Purdue loss hurts, but it wasn't as bad as the loss to BG or Illinois last year. I still think we are the favorites to win the West, and a 10+ win season is very attainable.

The Purdue loss definitely wasn't as bad as those losses. If Purdue's defense can continue playing like they did against us, then I would rate them as a slight favorite to win the West given their schedule. They've already played 2 of their toughest opponents (Penn State and the Gophers). Given the loss to Purdue, I'd say that we have to call them one of our toughest opponents so we've played only one of our toughest opponents.

Purdue has Maryland, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern, and Indiana left. I don't think they'll win all of those games but if they lost 2, they would be 6-3 for the conference season and have the tie breaker against us. 7 conference wins certainly is possible for us but it won't be easy. If we could beat both Illinois and PSU, the odds would improve dramatically but that's a tall order

Last edited:

Ahhhh. Nothing better to soothe your own misery than looking at the worse misery of others. :cool:

Ahhhh. Nothing better to soothe your own misery than looking at the worse misery of others. :cool:

Is a 4-1 record and a tie for first place really a record that should cause misery in any rational person?

Maybe certain people take strange, masochistic pleasure in being miserable.

The Purdue loss definitely wasn't as bad as those losses. If Purdue's defense can continue playing like they did against us, then I would rate them as a slight favorite to win the West given their schedule. They've already played 2 of their toughest opponents (Penn State and the Gophers). Given the loss to Purdue, I'd say that we have to call them one of our toughest opponents so we've played only one of our toughest opponents.

Purdue has Maryland, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern, and Indiana left. I don't think they'll win all of those games but if they lost 2, they would be 6-3 for the conference season and have the tie breaker against us. 7 conference wins certainly is possible for us but it won't be easy. If we could beat both Illinois and PSU, the odds would improve dramatically but that's a tall order

Purdue is a slight underdog this Saturday at Maryland. Maryland and Purdue are both teams that I find it hard to get a handle on. I'm interested in seeing which one of them steps up in this tilt.

Purdue-Iowa and Purdue-Illinois will be equally fascinating.

In the end, it really boils down to the Gophers winning their games.

Purdue is a slight underdog this Saturday at Maryland. Maryland and Purdue are both teams that I find it hard to get a handle on. I'm interested in seeing which one of them steps up in this tilt.

Purdue-Iowa and Purdue-Illinois will be equally fascinating.

In the end, it really boils down to the Gophers winning their games.

Yes, of course. If Purdue's defense can continue playing like they did against us, then I think they would be a bona fide "good" team. If they can do that against Maryland, I think they will win. Their offense, assuming O'Connell is healthy, should be enough of a challenge for anyone remaining on their schedule. As for us, we really need to win at least one of these next two games. Even though the schedule appears much easier after that, it's tough to pull off a 5 game winning streak in this conference.

Yes, of course. If Purdue's defense can continue playing like they did against us, then I think they would be a bona fide "good" team. If they can do that against Maryland, I think they will win. Their offense, assuming O'Connell is healthy, should be enough of a challenge for anyone remaining on their schedule. As for us, we really need to win at least one of these next two games. Even though the schedule appears much easier after that, it's tough to pull off a 5 game winning streak in this conference.

I'm going to be Captain Obvious here: Purdue beat us, and now they hold the tie-breaker, which means when it comes to winning the West we do not currently control our own destiny.

Purdue was better than us last Saturday, but we can still be better than Purdue by the end of the regular season. Everything can change in a heartbeat.

Yep. The Wallowers.

In fairness, some of those folks are probably just trolling. But I really believe that some of them just love being miserable.
I'm inclined to agree about trolling, espically when it comes to the "Wait ... have you watched any other games?" kind of posts.

I have a golf buddy who loves to dump on the local sports teams, but doesn't say much, if anything, when the teams win.

A few weeks ago, after the Vikings lost to the Eagles, he went on and on — Kirk Cousins "shit the bed", blah-blah-blah. But not a word after each of the Vikings three wins this season. Not a peep after they beat the Packers in their opener.

He never talks Gopher football. Again, he was silent on the topic during the 4-0 start.

But yesterday when he and I teed off, the first words out of his mouth were something about the Gophers laying an egg against Purdue.

To me, he is the prototypical Minnesota sports fan.

When you point this out to Minnesotans, the response is always the same: "Well, can you blame us? All we do is lose, lose, lose!"

Well, if you obsess over every loss and dismiss or outright ignore all the wins, I guess it follows that you would see things exactly that way.

Last edited:

We will still win 9-10 games if Mo is 100% healthy the rest of the way. Mo almost automatically picks up 4 yards on first down, even after contact at the line of scrimmage. He changes everything about the offense when he is on the field. I’m sure the right call was to not play him, but I guarantee PJ is second guessing that decision. This upcoming Illinois game is huge, we must win that game if we want to win the west. Im very glad we the bye week came when it did....we are going to need those two weeks to game plan.

Other notable teams that have upset fanbases right now:

Texas fans found their silver lining in their disappointing loss to Alabama only to have Texas Tech kick their ass. Longhorn fans are beside themselves still looking to solve a 13 year old problem.

Oklahoma fans are walking around in circles with their heads down trying to figure out how they got here and what happened for Brent Venables to now be their coach. Yes I know you listed them already, but they are one messed up fan base right now.

LSU fans wanted to fire Brian Kelly after their opening loss of the season, they are drinking a lot these days, even for a cajuns standard of drinking.

Last edited:

We will still win 9-10 games if Mo is 100% healthy the rest of the way. Mo almost automatically picks up 4 yards on first down, even after contact at the line of scrimmage. He changes everything about the offense when he is on the field. I’m sure the right call was to not play him, but I guarantee PJ is second guessing that decision. This upcoming Illinois game is huge, we must win that game if we want to win the west. Im very glad we the bye week came when it did....we are going to need those two weeks to game plan.

Other notable teams that have upset fanbases right now:

Texas fans found their silver lining in their disappointing loss to Alabama only to have Texas Tech kick their ass. Longhorn fans are beside themselves still looking to solve a 13 year old problem.

Oklahoma fans are walking around in circles with their heads down trying to figure out how they got here and what happened for Brent Venables to now be their coach. Yes I know you listed them already, but they are one messed up fan base right now.

LSU fans wanted to fire Chip Kelly after their opening loss of the season, they are drinking a lot these days, even for a cajuns standard of drinking.
They were so mad they wanted UCLA's coach fired?

Top Bottom