Fan Support?

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
On a weekend where where Iowa and Indiana squeeked by 1-AA opponents and #6 Ohio State barely hung on to win against Navy, our Gophers went out and beat a BCS-conference opponent. I know Syracuse' recent history is not great, but their ability to recruit players, hire coaches, build facilities, etc. is far greater than that of Eastern Kentucky, Northern Iowa and Navy.

So we go out and hold them to zero 2nd half points and come from behind to win this game, and what are the threads that are posted?

Fire Cosgrove
Bench Weber
WTF FISCH?
Why do I feel sick?
Can we buy a RB off EBay?

I am proud to be associated with the Golden Gophers athletic program!

After reading these kinds of posts after an important victory, I am not not so sure if I'm proud to be associated with our "fan" base :(

The first half was really frustrating. Both sides of the ball seemed out of synch. Great effort in the end by the defense, special teams, and Weber and Co. on the game-tying drive. Let's give credit where credit is due. 1-0 is a good place to be.

You really just compared Navy to Eastern Kentucky & Northern Iowa? Do you even watch football?

On a weekend where where Iowa and Indiana squeeked by 1-AA opponents and #6 Ohio State barely hung on to win against Navy, our Gophers went out and beat a BCS-conference opponent. I know Syracuse' recent history is not great, but their ability to recruit players, hire coaches, build facilities, etc. is far greater than that of Eastern Kentucky, Northern Iowa and Navy.

So we go out and hold them to zero 2nd half points and come from behind to win this game, and what are the threads that are posted?

Fire Cosgrove
Bench Weber
WTF FISCH?
Why do I feel sick?

After reading these kinds of posts after an important victory, I am not not so sure if I'm proud to be associated with our "fan" base :(

:clap:

Fire Cosgrove
Bench Weber
WTF FISCH?
Why do I feel sick?

+10000

And as fans we're just supposed to keep our mouths closed at all times right? Stay optimistic about a 3rd year Quarterback who's out there making Redshirt Freshman mistakes? Okay...let's just be sheep why don't we.......

Great post Go Gophers Rah. There is definitely room for improvement, but this is the type of game the Gophers usually lose. And they won! Isn't it nice to be on the winning end of this type of game for a change?

Weber did not play well at all in the 1st half

A lot of what Syracuse was doing and having success wise in the first half was due to the poor, late and errant throws by Weber. The line play by the left guard and left tackle was not very good, and at times the right guard and right tackle struggled to pass protect. Center play was lacking some also. They need time to gel but need to get stronger and more nasty. I expect more from Weber than a lot of guy's because he has played a lot of football and is a talented kid. He is not a bad QB but he sure played like one for a lot of the first half and even a little in the second half. That said he made some quality throws in the fourth quarter and stuck the ball in some tough spots. We need to get the ball to Decker know doubt about it, but when five guys are surrounding Decker and Green is wide open you have to turn your head and get Green the ball. I still do not see the fascination the coaching staff has with Deleon Eskeridge, you saw it when Bennett hurt his shoulder it was an almost OH Sh@t moment and here we go again. Eskeridge does not find the holes and that play where he cut back inside when he had the edge was not good. I was thrilled to death with the play and effort of the defense in the second half but they will wear down if we do not learn how to control the clock on offense and sustain drives. This coaching staff has a lot of new guy's and the players and coaches are still adjusting some. I have hope for them, to succeed and get better. They are still trying to get the stink that has stuck to the program and the Metrodome for a lot of years.

I hope a lot that Stommes and Sherrels are both ok with the Knees because we need those two guy's as a football team. Offensive line has to learn to play togehter and not get tight butt with all of the false starts. This is what I saw today, the Gophers did not play up to there talent level and abilities, but still found a way to win the football game. We went into the opponents house and won a football game which is not ever an easy thing to do. This Gopher team is out of the Dome, they will continue to learn to win games. We have some quality football players. Hopefully Weber get's more from Stoudimire and Carpenter and Green and the Tow-Arnett as we need some help from those guy's.

Amen. I tried to rationalize with people on the game thread, but it was hopeless. There's nothing wrong with expressing frustration when we play poorly. But you must be able to do so, without screaming for coaches to be fired or QB's to be benched in week 1, or declaring the season over and offering up your tickets for the next game. That just makes you look like a pouty 2 year-old. Grow up.

Yes. Road win vs. BCS opponent is always good. Add to it the fact that honestly, syracuse does look like its on its way up. Plus the fact that its a classic trap game (before a stadium opener).

A win vs. Syracuse will look much better at the end of the season than maybe it does right now. They arent as bad as we thought they were.

I am very happy to be 1-0 and so were all the students at the viewing party at TCF!!

I stand by everything I said.

Our offensive line play was garbage. That's a fact, not an opinion. We don't have a single back that an opposing team has to prepare for. That's a fact, not an opinion. This has been the problem going on three-plus seasons now.

Once the penalties get eliminated, the offense will have way more options as far as play calling. WAY too many first and 15s and first and 20s. Im going to remain optimistic, because that stuff happens in a season opener, especially in a loud indoor setting with a newly assembled o-line.

Yes. Road win vs. BCS opponent is always good. Add to it the fact that honestly, syracuse does look like its on its way up. Plus the fact that its a classic trap game (before a stadium opener).

A win vs. Syracuse will look much better at the end of the season than maybe it does right now. They arent as bad as we thought they were.

I am very happy to be 1-0 and so were all the students at the viewing party at TCF!!

So what you're saying is that they're not "who we thought they were?"

We managed to win despite a new defensive coordinator, a new offensive coordinator who has never been an OC before adjusting to the game (I have a feeling he'll get better at play-calling and what-not as the season goes on), and an extremely hostile crowd playing against a team that looks better than advertised. Yes, we played terrible for most of the game. We STILL won! Our O-line was moving backward the whole game. We STILL won! This group needs some time to gel. We will play much better against Air Force, and we will win. People are acting like the whole season is over after 1 game. PLEASE!

remember last season's first game against NIU. the gophers barely squeeked out a victory and i was sweating the game VS BGSU, which the gophers won handily.

syracuse is better than NIU.

some fans (particularly minnesota fans) tend to step to the ledge whenever anything goes wrong.

Nice level-headed post Mr Gopher. The Orange play in the Big Least so they have a chance to improve quite a bit. I'm pretty concerned about Air Force though right now. We have to get some sense of consistency before we play Cal.

Yes - I was dissapointed with the QB - bit kudos for the 2nd half defensive changes - they kept us in the game. Hope Webber can get other receivers involved as he did on the last drive. Offensive line maybe bigger - but they can improve. Still its great to be 1 and 0 going into the new stadium. iowa and OSU were lucky at home...

I heard something about Weber's delivery being changed during the summer. I wonder if this has anything to do with his poor accuracy in this game.

Our offensive line play was garbage. That's a fact, not an opinion. We don't have a single back that an opposing team has to prepare for. That's a fact, not an opinion. This has been the problem going on three-plus seasons now.

What we need is improvement from week to week. This OL is an inexperienced group, pure and simple. Plus a new system that is put to the test on gameday. I was not surprised by the OL today as it was pretty much what I expected.

IMO, the experienced D needs to step up and play solid ball and hope that the offense can get better game to game.

remember last season's first game against NIU. the gophers barely squeeked out a victory and i was sweating the game VS BGSU, which the gophers won handily.

syracuse is better than NIU.

some fans (particularly minnesota fans) tend to step to the ledge whenever anything goes wrong.

I watched the NIU game last night, we had 2 blown plays on Defense that lead to 14 NIU points, it was also NIU's first game for their head coach at NIU. We also played good on both sides of the ball there wasn't too many complaints in that game. We played a very solid game and should've won by more then 4 points.

The difference in that game is that we played solid whereas this game it was like watching the Iowa or Michigan game last year take your pick. We have a lot of reasons to be concerned about our Offense and this game showed it. A lot of blame should be on Brewster, there is no excuse as to why Gray didn't see one snap in the second half. How terrible does Weber have to play before Brewster benches him?

We're lucky this was Syracuse.......

We played very good on Defense but I feel like I'm watching the same Offense from last year the last 5 games that struggled to get 200 yds a game and that should not be the case against a team as crippled as Syracuse was experience wise and player wise coming into this game.......

We should be concerned, we really should.......

We should be concerned, we really should.......

While I don't think we know enough yet to know whether this statement is true, I can understand it.

So much of the negative reaction, though, is anti-constructive. I'm not talking about any one poster her, just in-general about the knee-jerk garbage that people spew out there.

We should fire Cosgrove after 1 game? After his defense held Syracuse to 103 yards rushing and 164 yards passing? WTF?

Our 3rd year starting QB who will likely break all of the schools records is suddenly a horrible player because he had a hard time finding open receivers and he underthrew a few balls?

We have the RBs we have. Thats it. Might as well support them instead of suggesting we buy one off of ebay.

I just don't understand the "the sky is falling" mentality.

What happens to these people when their 401k tanks? Or their dog dies? They can't even react to a Gophers victory (albeit hard to watch at times and not completely satisfying) without pooping their pants.

Many of these "fans" are the same one's leaving a game with 12 minutes left regardless of whether we are winning or losing. Actually, I think most of the loudest bitchers and moaners on this board do not even have season tickets. Because in the end its easier to bitch and moan and not have to deal with traffic than to be a true fan.

Speaking for myself (and a lot of other optimists out there) - My favorite team won its game today and is undefeated. They are going to play in the most heavenly place on earth in 7 days. Life is good. Enjoy

Rah!

I watched the NIU game last night

Really? On a Friday night, you watched a re-run game? You need to get out more.. J/K

No one can call you a casual fan-that is for sure.

Ugly game that does not inspire much confindence with the fans. Hopefully the players see it differently and can learn from it. I agree with Studwell on this: O-Line looked god-awful and Bennett is our only running back that might be able to overcome that fact. Our offense will struggle all season imo. Decker is light-years better than anyone else we have. Hayo not playing is not a good sign. Despite all of that--we won!!

Defense won it plain and simple.

Brewster needs to learn how to use timeouts as well. Very strange and worrisome.

Ramble on

Go die someplace.

Seriously, man. You are the ultimate buzzkill. We made the changes that needed to be made and won a game we never would have won three years ago. Do we need to improve on offense? Yes. Is your hyberbolic garbage warranted? Absolutely not. If Weber hits more than 40% of his completions (which he will, or Gray will be in), then our RBs will be significantly better. Weber had a bad game. Get over it.

Really? On a Friday night, you watched a re-run game? You need to get out more.. J/K

No one can call you a casual fan-that is for sure.

Ugly game that does not inspire much confindence with the fans. Hopefully the players see it differently and can learn from it. I agree with Studwell on this: O-Line looked god-awful and Bennett is our only running back that might be able to overcome that fact. Our offense will struggle all season imo. Decker is light-years better than anyone else we have. Hayo not playing is not a good sign. Despite all of that--we won!!

Defense won it plain and simple.

Brewster needs to learn how to use timeouts as well. Very strange and worrisome.

Ramble on

I watched all of our wins on tape from last year last night I was *PUMPED*.......

Only game I don't have on tape is BGSU because they didn't have ESPN360 support out here.......

Top Bottom