Fan Expectations in August

Goldmember

Reaction score
This thread was locked, but offers the best perspective from the beginning of the season:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=7095

In summary:

Number (pctge of total) picking Gophers over ….

.4 (. 4.1% ) …... Ohio State
13 ( 13.4% ) …... Penn State
20 ( 20.6% ) …... California
28 ( 28.9% ) …... Iowa
57 ( 58.8% ) …... Michigan State
64 ( 66.0% ) …... Illinois
73 ( 75.3% ) …... Northwestern
89 ( 91.8% ) …... Wisconsin
92 ( 94.8% ) …... Air Force
94 ( 96.9% ) …... Purdue
95 ( 97.9% ) …... Syracuse
97 (100.0% ) ….. South Dakota State

This thread was locked, but offers the best perspective from the beginning of the season:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=7095

In summary:

.4 (. 4.1% ) …... Ohio State
28 ( 28.9% ) …... Iowa
94 ( 96.9% ) …... Purdue

Thanks - this is interesting. I'm new to the board so hadn't seen it! Good bump.

Michigan State is going to be a huge game. I hope we pull an upset at Columbus or Happy Valley, but I don't expect either. If we are coming off a 2-game skid Halloween stands between us and another late-season collapse.

I think we can go 3-1 to finish the season, which would be a huge statement and step forward for the program. MSU is key though. Gonna be a wild night!

I havn't been impressed with Iowa this year so I predict we beat them, keeping my 9-3 season prediction alive. Losses being to Cal, PSU, and OSU.

4 ( 4.1% ) …... Ohio State
28 ( 28.9% ) …... Iowa
94 ( 96.9% ) …... Purdue

Thanks for the reminder. Actually, we are 100% where I thought we would be in terms of wins-and-losses.

Still disappointed in the way we lost, though.

Most people on this board as well as the majority of the "experts" declared before the season that 6-6 was likely and 7-5 would be good considering the tougher schedule. I personally made a blue sky prediction of 7-5.

I fully expect to lose next week (and be entertained by a new set of "fire everyone and play a different qb every series" discussions on gopherhole). But in reality the team is on course for a decent year given preseason expectations, existing talent, and all the coaching changes leading up to the first game.

The Michigan State game is looming VERY large. That team is starting to play much better and a victory over them will be critical for the Gopher's to finish at 7-5 as hoped.

Ah, you beat me to it ... :D

I was just tabulating the standings for "Predict the Season" and was going to point out that 83 (of 96) picked Penn State. And, for next week, 92 of the 96 picked tOSU.

Here's hoping that we have 92 incorrect predictions next week. (But I'm not betting on it)

Since I'm not very good at "predicting", I tend to look

at trends...the "bounce-back" vs Purdue was encouraging...the "egg-laying" vs PSU was not...so...how much will they "bounce-back" vs the Bucks on the road? If its "encouraging" great...if it's another "egg-laying", watch out below at home IMHO. Brew has his hands full.

Expectations have definitely increased. I was among the bottom 6% for my preseason expectation. I now think 7-5 is possible. Wisconsin and Purdue are better than expected. Illinois is worse. Michigan got a little better, and MSU is slightly worse. It is possible to beat MSU and Illinois.

Some might say the Big Ten is not as good as expected. But as usual, they would be wrong. The Big Ten will have only one team in a BCS bowl this year. But there are currently four Big Ten teams in the BCS standings. The SEC also has 4. All other conferences have 3 or fewer despite that a few of those conferences have 12 teams.

It was good to see this after Saturday's yuck. It's difficult to keep perspective after watching such a dreadful performance. But it's not always easy to find a pretty way to lose. And I thought this matchup was not a good one for the gophs. I guess I hoped we'd look a little better but I guess it's got to look like something.

Hopefully we'll bounce back well after OSU and get ourselves bowl eligible.

Top Bottom