Fan etiquette....

Reaction score
Over on the Badger board "southfew" wrote that Wisconsinites wear the title of heavy drinkers with a badge on their chests. I tend to agree. Now as it relates to Badger football fans it comes down can you handle both the acholol and the venue? In Becky's case I think not. At age 65 I've
been fortunate to attend many away games and most of the Bowl games; the exception being the two Rose Bowls. With friends in Wisconsin I've been to Madtown many a time for the annual tilt. While there are many good Badger fans there are also an alarming number of fans both young and old that par take in the "hair of the dog" that become over the top drunk, disorderly, and downright obnoxous. This is not the normal tailgate thing where you have a few drinks to get the blood flowing for the kickoff. That being said, and not trying to be judge, jury, and hangman here;
here's my top four in my many years of following the Gophers on the most unruly fans.
1.Iowa
2.Wisconsin
3.Nebraska
4.West Virginia ( The company I worked for was based in Morgantown, WV and football and god were about equal. Over the 19 years I worked for the company I attended about 10 games. I could write a book on some of the things that happened at a WVU game; some incidents even dealing with the race card.

With regards to Iowa:

My experiences in going to Kinnick have been 100% positive. People have been very friendly/hospitable. There has been some good-natured ribbing, but no mean-spirited heckling. I haven't seen any completely fall-down drunks there.

Now, when they come up here, its like Dr. Jeckyl/Mr. Hyde. They are obnoxious, mean and drunk. The Lois Feldman incident pretty much sums it up.

My impression of Badger fans is that they are obnoxious, arrogant, mean and drunk wherever they are.

I don't believe Bucky fans are aware there is such a thing as "Fan Etiquette".
Reality is that in Wisconsin they really do "need the alcohol to have a good time".

sec105, i couldn't disagree more. I am born and raised MN but when I have been to Camp Randall badger fans have been nothing but nice. You can't hate on fans who give you tips on what bar to go to after the game. Plus what fan base doesn't need alcohol to have a good time. That statement right there is the pot calling the kettle black.

Compared to a lot of SEC schools, I don't think even the most obnoxious in the Big 10 can even enter the discussion. Though my experiences in Madison and Iowa City haven't always been perfectly cordial (Madison in 2004, I'm looking in your direction), compared to the stories I've heard my friend tell, both about his crimson-clad brethren in Tuscaloosa and about going on the road to Auburn, Knoxville, Gainesville and Athens, I don't know that anything happening up here compares.

With regards to Iowa:

My experiences in going to Kinnick have been 100% positive. People have been very friendly/hospitable. There has been some good-natured ribbing, but no mean-spirited heckling. I haven't seen any completely fall-down drunks there.

Now, when they come up here, its like Dr. Jeckyl/Mr. Hyde. They are obnoxious, mean and drunk. The Lois Feldman incident pretty much sums it up.

My impression of Badger fans is that they are obnoxious, arrogant, mean and drunk wherever they are.

Iowa fans maybe be the most delusional fans, but generally they are not the most hostile. Though my experiences at both places were not that bad, I would definitely say Madison, because of the drinking, is much much more hostile in comparison.

Compared to a lot of SEC schools, I don't think even the most obnoxious in the Big 10 can even enter the discussion. Though my experiences in Madison and Iowa City haven't always been perfectly cordial (Madison in 2004, I'm looking in your direction), compared to the stories I've heard my friend tell, both about his crimson-clad brethren in Tuscaloosa and about going on the road to Auburn, Knoxville, Gainesville and Athens, I don't know that anything happening up here compares.

I agree with you, the SEC fans are definitely a lot more rowdy and hostile, especially Florida and Tennessee fans. I have found LSU fans to be by and large be very polite. I have to say that the most annoying fans at a game in my experience were the Texas A&M fans in College Station, however I would still go back there in a second to watch a game. I have actually had good experiences in Madison myself as well as in Lincoln and would probably rate the Nebraska fans as some of the best around because I have actually seen them applaud good efforts by the opposing team on numerous occassions.

I've been to Madison 3 times (2000, 2002, 2006) and I would not bring my kids there. Too many obnoxious drunks and vile chants. Look, I'm not a complete prude...but the "Eat S, F-U" chant is just dumb. I don't need my kids to hear that.

I went to Kinnick back in 2001 and the reason I haven't gone back yet is because of the way me and my wife (then fiancee) were treated in the parking lot pregame. A group of 6-10 guys were taunting us and calling her a b*tch. Inside the stadium wasn't much better. The visitor section was right by a catwalk that used to connect the side sections to the endzone sections (pre-renovation down there) and the entire game people would just congregate on that catwalk and send verbal taunts and profanity at the Gopher fans. The ages of these people were from 12 years old to 50. With that 2001 visit followed by the 2002 game where Iowa fans in the dome were urinating in the seats and telling the kids that sit behind me to "STFU" when they were cheering for the Gophers it's hard for me to place any fans lower than Hawkeye fans.

I've never had any problems in Madison/Iowa City, but I think that probably has to do with the fact that people don't like to piss off 6'9" guys and that I have friends who are fans of both schools who I tailgate with for those games.

My favorite Madison quote was from this old-timer who talked to me after the '06 thrashing. He told me that at the end of every season he said a little prayer that Mason would get rehired so that the Badgers would keep winning. Hopefully this is the year where we can start saying the same about Bielema. ;)

I've been to Madison 3 times (2000, 2002, 2006) and I would not bring my kids there. Too many obnoxious drunks and vile chants. Look, I'm not a complete prude...but the "Eat S, F-U" chant is just dumb. I don't need my kids to hear that.

Not as profane but way more classless is the "Shoot Him Like a Horse" chant that sometimes gets brought out when an opposing player gets injured.

The ES-FU chant is a badge of pride for the students. Their goal is to be so loud that you can hear exactly what is being said on TV.

THE Ohio State Fans are some of the most arrogant human beings on the planet. Not limited to gameday either, year round that is a tough fan to deal with.

Over on the Badger board "southfew" wrote that Wisconsinites wear the title of heavy drinkers with a badge on their chests. I tend to agree. Now as it relates to Badger football fans it comes down can you handle both the acholol and the venue? In Becky's case I think not. At age 65 I've
been fortunate to attend many away games and most of the Bowl games; the exception being the two Rose Bowls. With friends in Wisconsin I've been to Madtown many a time for the annual tilt. While there are many good Badger fans there are also an alarming number of fans both young and old that par take in the "hair of the dog" that become over the top drunk, disorderly, and downright obnoxous. This is not the normal tailgate thing where you have a few drinks to get the blood flowing for the kickoff. That being said, and not trying to be judge, jury, and hangman here;
here's my top four in my many years of following the Gophers on the most unruly fans.
1.Iowa
2.Wisconsin
3.Nebraska
4.West Virginia ( The company I worked for was based in Morgantown, WV and football and god were about equal. Over the 19 years I worked for the company I attended about 10 games. I could write a book on some of the things that happened at a WVU game; some incidents even dealing with the race card.

Well where do I start....

The WVU fans were a$$es when Carter decommitted from them and chose the U of Minnesota. They went on to rip our football history and in the same breath say they were the winningest program to never win a National title. Huh we have NO history, yet we have six.

Moving on, the picture is in honor of coach Stewart who has been known to drop the N bomb a time or two.

If you want to get an example of what the Mountaineers are really like, ask our Wolverine brothers. They got sick of the WV fans real fast after the Basketball and football coaches left WV to coach for Michigan.

nbomb.jpg
-Compliments of a Michigan fan!

I've been in all BT stadia with the exception of PSU (I'm going there this year)
I think the most obnoxious fan are found at Mich. Not drunk, just unpleasant. Wisc. is No. 2

On a national football site that I frequent, Iowa fans were recently declared by the board as the most delusional fan base in the country. It is one thing for our fans to think this of a rival but when fans from around the country think Iowa is more delusional than schools such as Texas A&M, Tennessee, Notre Dame and Auburn it really says a lot to me.

It used to be that Wisconsin was my least favorite fan base largely because they are our #1 rival. However, I have recently come to realize that they aren't as bad as I ever thought they were and Iowa is so much more over the top. I've been to two games at Kinnick (2003 & 2007) and generally been treated well by their fans in Iowa. The one annoying thing was in the 2003 game we somehow got blown out despite out-gaining them by about 100 yards. We must have turned it over or missed FG's three times from in the red zone. The Iowa fans didn't say anything to me until they got a comfortable lead and then anytime I stood up there were Iowa fans yelling at the Minnesota fan. I have no respect for a group of fans that pretend to show respect until they are beating you and then they rub it in. The behavior of the Iowa fans in Minnesota is far worse than anything I've ever seen from a Wisconsin fan.

I have been out to Madison 3 times for the border rivalry and overall I have to say they have been great times. Yeah there are some mean spirited fans out there that throw some F-bombs at you but I almost expect that. After the games we couldn't go a block without people offering us beers and telling us the hot spots to hit at night.

Iowa on the otherhand was completely different. I have only been there for one game and was verbally and physically threatened. I feel no need ever to go back to that sh*t hole again. As I walked up the aisle to go to the bathroom I was peppered with empty pop bottles, popcorn boxes, etc. As I stood in line for the bathroom, 4 guys came up to me and tried to push me against the wall saying "this is an Iowa fan bathroom". I couldn't help but laugh at them and it turns out they didn't like that so they threatened to kick my a$$. (in which I laughed more).:D

THE Ohio State Fans are some of the most arrogant human beings on the planet. Not limited to gameday either, year round that is a tough fan to deal with.

No place is immune from having immature pricks as fans. Get an immature prick (IP) drunk and there can be trouble. I hope that not too many opposing fans say ran into some IP Minnesota fans. I've had good luck at all Big 10 stadiums (5) I have attended, but think that some Ohio State and Michigan fans emit an aura of arrogance.

My only Big 10 road game experiences would be ranked: Worst: Iowa, Wisconsin. Best: Penn State, Ohio State, Purdue.
By-in-large it'll be a very small percentage of (A) holes who'll ruin the gameday experience for everybody. My experience at Happy Valley & Columbus were outstanding and hope to go there again someday. This is College Football NOT the NFL. My wish is that we (as a state) can welcome our visitors and hope they enjoy their experience. Together lets make this a Game Day destination much like Happy Valley.

NOTE: In regards to Wisconsin 2008 - I was most embarrassed as a few of our own who were royal pricks. There is a difference between good-natured ribbing and profanity laced tirades. Let's do it with Class! Just my 2 cents...

My only Big 10 road game experiences would be ranked: Worst: Iowa, Wisconsin. Best: Penn State, Ohio State, Purdue.
By-in-large it'll be a very small percentage of (A) holes who'll ruin the gameday experience for everybody. My experience at Happy Valley & Columbus were outstanding and hope to go there again someday. This is College Football NOT the NFL. My wish is that we (as a state) can welcome our visitors and hope they enjoy their experience. Together lets make this a Game Day destination much like Happy Valley.

NOTE: In regards to Wisconsin 2008 - I was most embarrassed as a few of our own who were royal pricks. There is a difference between good-natured ribbing and profanity laced tirades. Let's do it with Class! Just my 2 cents...

Well "said" Goldy247

I have been going to Iowa City for every MN/IA game since the mid 80's and have never had a bad experience there. It has always been fun and I expect that to continue....

I've never had any problems in Madison/Iowa City, but I think that probably has to do with the fact that people don't like to piss off 6'9" guys and that I have friends who are fans of both schools who I tailgate with for those games.

My favorite Madison quote was from this old-timer who talked to me after the '06 thrashing. He told me that at the end of every season he said a little prayer that Mason would get rehired so that the Badgers would keep winning. Hopefully this is the year where we can start saying the same about Bielema. ;)

HAHAHAHAHA. Love it!

Plus what fan base doesn't need alcohol to have a good time. That statement right there is the pot calling the kettle black.

If what you say is true then it really isn't about the game is it. Besides I don't need alcohol to have a good time especially at a Gopher Game.

Don't get ahead of yourself, sport. You can't "keep winning" until you actually, you know, win at least once.

Don't get ahead of yourself, sport. You can't "keep winning" until you actually, you know, win at least once.

Come quick everyone! A new troll has arrived! :clap: Isn't he cute? Not very bright, but so cute.

You might want to learn how to read and reason sport. Oddly enough, I didn't say anything about starting this little prayer thing already. My comment "Hopefully this is the year where we can start saying the same about Bielema" includes a W this fall. Next time I'll be sure to spell it out in block letters for you, possibly in crayon if that makes you feel more at home. I applaud you for some stupendous fail on your first post out of the gate. Please don't let your rough start deter you though...I like a good laugh and would enjoy hearing more funnies from you. :)

Come quick everyone! A new troll has arrived! :clap: Isn't he cute? Not very bright, but so cute.

You might want to learn how to read and reason sport. Oddly enough, I didn't say anything about starting this little prayer thing already. My comment "Hopefully this is the year where we can start saying the same about Bielema" includes a W this fall. Next time I'll be sure to spell it out in block letters for you, possibly in crayon if that makes you feel more at home. I applaud you for some stupendous fail on your first post out of the gate. Please don't let your rough start deter you though...I like a good laugh and would enjoy hearing more funnies from you. :)

No trolling here. I can see why you''d be sensitive though. The fact is, there's a big difference between praying for the return of a coach that your team has positively owned (Mason) and -- even in the unlikely event that the Gophers win this year -- a coach that has a winning record against your team (Bielema). The latter would be pretty ridiculous, wouldn't you agree? I hope this gives you the "good laugh" you were looking for, sorry that it came at your expense.

Top Bottom