Famous people you have seen up close and where was it?

LakevilleBro

Reaction score
What famous people have you seen up close and where was it? I saw Steven Tyler in an Orlando airport bathroom, (no jokes please), and I saw Eric Clapton in the City Center food court many years ago, on the day of his concert.

Paul Newman in pit lane at Brainerd International Speedway. Paul was walking past me on his way to a helicopter. I gave him a nod.

Buckminster Fuller at his house in Carbondale Illinois. Yes he was famous once.

Greg LeMond in the seat ahead of me in business class on a flight from Minneapolis to Amsterdam. We were both headed to Belgium.

A hat tip to bigtenchamps for the spelling correction.

Last edited:

Does Arne Carlson count? Before the Syracuse game (where Tyrone Carter scored two TD's), he sidled up beside me at the urinal at Hubert's and predicted a Gophers win (which Arne hit on the head).

I served David Sedaris a latte at a bookstore I worked at in St. Paul several years ago, and he acknowledged it was a good latte. Saw Garrison Keillor at same bookstore, gave him a polite greeting and was snubbed. Eff that guy ;)

Ollanta Humala was President of Peru a couple presidents ago, but long before he was elected, he was campaigning across the country and happened to be checking in at a podunk hotel my wife and I were staying at. I stand 5'6" (if I'm wearing platform shoes) and I was taller than that dude. His was an unspectacular stint as president.

I got an autograph and photo with the Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase at a minor league game in Appleton, WI a few years ago.

As you can see, my elbow rubbing with the glamorous types is pretty limited.

I mean, this is Las Vegas, so they're everywhere but limiting it to really up close encounter(s) and not public appearance type stuff;

Iron Mike Tyson waiting in line in front of me at the CVS Pharmacy by my house. That was a little surreal, I didn't even notice him at first

Bryce Harper goes to my gym (LifeTime Fitness) and Bryce's sister actually cuts my hair there
Jason Giambi a few times at the little Rachel's cafe near the house
HOF LT Jonathan Ogden used to go to my yoga class; a little crazy seeing a guy 6'-9 and 350 pounds doing yoga

Got in an argument with Avi the children's book author about the Dodgers. He was a jerk.

Got in an argument with Fred Williamson ( former NFL player and actor) on a flight to Palm Springs. He said Bobby Bell was the ugliest person he ever met after he saw my Gopher tattoo. I asked if he was in the HOF like Bobby is? Got him riled up.

The rest of my experiences with famous to semi famous people went well.

Larry Sabato a couple times doing satellite uplinks at the local TV station before he had his own studio. (famous if you're a political junky).

Nearly wiped out Sid in a Metrodome concourse once. I'm guessing that's not rare though.

I stood in line at a North Loop sandwich shop a few years ago behind Louie Anderson. I complimented him on his high diving ability.

I met Jonny Moseley (Olympic freestyle skier) at some suburban mall after the Salt Lake Games. Next to his autograph he wrote, "Gowl style". For years I tried to figure out what gowl style meant -- was it some cool skier saying I didn't know. I finally realized he wrote "Go w/ style".

Iron Mike Tyson waiting in line in front of me at the CVS Pharmacy by my house. That was a little surreal, I didn't even notice him at first
That must have been before he got his face tattoo.

Greg Lamond in the seat ahead of me in business class on a flight from Minneapolis to Amsterdam. We were both headed to Belgium.
That's cool. One of my bucket list items is to watch the Tour de France in Belgium. I should change that to watch the Tour de France in Belgium with Greg Lamond.

I'll give you two. I help officiate woman's alpine events for the Olympics. In the Vancouver Olympics the two stars in the woman's field were Lindsey Vonn and Maria Riesch. Lindsey is pure intensity. On the hill, she's is total focus. During inspection you can just "feel her presence". When she skis up to the gates for a close look at the line, everyone else moves back. One observation is that her coaches always make statements in the positive tense. Rather than saying, "don't get too low around this gate" they'd say "when you round this gate you're going to stay high". It was unique, all the other coaches from the other teams were using the caution side, whereas her coaches were always positive. Off the hill, Lindsey and her family are extremely nice. But on the hill, you don't even make eye contact. It's all business. No saying hello or good luck, just keep back.

Now, contrast that with Maria. The Alpine Combined is an event where they first do a downhill run and then a slalom run and the winner is the lowest time of both runs. I got into the gondola at Vancouver to bring some battery packs up to the top of the hill and Maria and her three coaches got into the same car as mine. Maria, if I remember right, was in third place after the downhill. I decided to play it professional, and just said "Congrats on your first run, best wishes on the slalom" and was going to keep quiet for the rest of the ride up the hill. Note that the gondola is going right over the slalom course that she's about to ski so she and her coaches have a birds-eye view. Maria chose to ignore the course and ignore her coaches. Instead, she just told me jokes the whole way up, and she was really funny. Had me really laughing. She went on to win the gold medal that day. Her approach to a big race was the complete opposite of Lindsey, her mind was a million miles away from the event.

Larry Sabato a couple times doing satellite uplinks at the local TV station before he had his own studio. (famous if you're a political junky).

Nearly wiped out Sid in a Metrodome concourse once. I'm guessing that's not rare though.
Sid nearly took me out as he was driving out of the Target Center.

I met Greg Lemond at the uptown stage of the North Star Grand Prix.

I was also at a small dinner party with Sid.

And I thought of a third, I rode an elevator with Bob Costas at the Marriott in 1985.

Last edited:

Kareem Abdul Jabbar, in a hole-in-the-wall cafe in Northeastern Minnesota. He was running a basketball camp for a couple days in the early 1980s.

I'll give you two. I help officiate woman's alpine events for the Olympics. In the Vancouver Olympics the two stars in the woman's field were Lindsey Vonn and Maria Riesch. Lindsey is pure intensity. On the hill, she's is total focus. During inspection you can just "feel her presence". When she skis up to the gates for a close look at the line, everyone else moves back. One observation is that her coaches always make statements in the positive tense. Rather than saying, "don't get too low around this gate" they'd say "when you round this gate you're going to stay high". It was unique, all the other coaches from the other teams were using the caution side, whereas her coaches were always positive. Off the hill, Lindsey and her family are extremely nice. But on the hill, you don't even make eye contact. It's all business. No saying hello or good luck, just keep back.

Now, contrast that with Maria. The Alpine Combined is an event where they first do a downhill run and then a slalom run and the winner is the lowest time of both runs. I got into the gondola at Vancouver to bring some battery packs up to the top of the hill and Maria and her three coaches got into the same car as mine. Maria, if I remember right, was in third place after the downhill. I decided to play it professional, and just said "Congrats on your first run, best wishes on the slalom" and was going to keep quiet for the rest of the ride up the hill. Note that the gondola is going right over the slalom course that she's about to ski so she and her coaches have a birds-eye view. Maria chose to ignore the course and ignore her coaches. Instead, she just told me jokes the whole way up, and she was really funny. Had me really laughing. She went on to win the gold medal that day. Her approach to a big race was the complete opposite of Lindsey, her mind was a million miles away from the event.
What a kick ass experience that must be. Next time you're in Peru, I'll buy you a beer if you share some of your stories ;)

What a kick ass experience that must be. Next time you're in Peru, I'll buy you a beer if you share some of your stories ;)
I'll tell you the real story behind all the condoms being used in the Olympic Village...

i saw william hung at a thai restaurant in berkeley

i saw norwood teague at the bulldog ne

i saw bill walton at a bike race in co

Paul Newman in pit lane at Brainerd International Speedway. Paul was walking past me on his way to a helicopter. I gave him a nod.

Buckminster Fuller at his house in Carbondale Illinois. Yes he was famous once.

Greg Lamond in the seat ahead of me in business class on a flight from Minneapolis to Amsterdam. We were both headed to Belgium.
are you rich?

(and its lemond. like the french daily le monde)

Another Vancouver story (I liked those Olympics...). The race crews during those Olympics were given what we called "Smurf" jackets, that turquoise blue puff color. One night at the end of the day I stood at the bottom of the Gondola and had the racers sign my jacket -- totally against the rules, but the racers liked it. Ted Ligety was a huge name back then (still is). He came running out of the Gondola (when you're wearing ski boots, running is kind of a big deal) and started crossing the bridge I was standing on. When he saw me he literally skidded to a stop (which is what you do when you're wearing ski boots and are trying to stop), signed my jacket, and talked for a few minutes saying how much he appreciated all the course crew did during the week to pull off the games (which was a lot of work, major amounts of snow removal). After about 5 minutes he said he needed to get going because he was late for an interview with ESPN. Put that in perspective for a minute. Ski racers like Ted get to be interviewed on channels like ESPN probably once every four years. That's gotta be a big deal, even to someone as successful as Ted. That's why he was running in ski boots to get to the interview. But he still took the time to literally skid to a stop to thank me for the work we'd done. He totally could have blown me off, but instead, he stopped. I've still got that jacket...Ted.jpgjacket.jpg

Another Vancouver story (I liked those Olympics...). The race crews during those Olympics were given what we called "Smurf" jackets, that turquoise blue puff color. One night at the end of the day I stood at the bottom of the Gondola and had the racers sign my jacket -- totally against the rules, but the racers liked it. Ted Ligety was a huge name back then (still is). He came running out of the Gondola (when you're wearing ski boots, running is kind of a big deal) and started crossing the bridge I was standing on. When he saw me he literally skidded to a stop (which is what you do when you're wearing ski boots and are trying to stop), signed my jacket, and talked for a few minutes saying how much he appreciated all the course crew did during the week to pull off the games (which was a lot of work, major amounts of snow removal). After about 5 minutes he said he needed to get going because he was late for an interview with ESPN. Put that in perspective for a minute. Ski racers like Ted get to be interviewed on channels like ESPN probably once every four years. That's gotta be a big deal, even to someone as successful as Ted. That's why he was running in ski boots to get to the interview. But he still took the time to literally skid to a stop to thank me for the work we'd done. He totally could have blown me off, but instead, he stopped. I've still got that jacket...View attachment 9029View attachment 9030
Great post! Thanks.

Paul Wellstone was hands down the nicest celeb I ever met.
Yeah, really a nice guy.
Knew the aforementioned Tommy B, so seen him thousands of times, prior to his success. Jesse the Body, he had the gym over on the north side for awhile. Tiny Tim! Spotted Tiny a couple of times in the checkout line at Byerly's in St Louis Park.

Didn't talk to them, but I was standing next to Mark McKinney and Bruce McCulloch of Kids in the Hall fame. First Avenue show (Spiritualized) in the early 200's I think. Bruce was dancing wildly next to me and I remember thinking what a complete weirdo (slower song was being played). I did a side glance and noticed who he was. McKinney was on the other side of me laughing at me looking at McCulloch. I noticed Dave Foley in the crowd below and pointed at him. McKinney looked genuinely worried and left. McCulloch kept dancing. Foley was absolutely wasted. One of the funniest things I ever witnessed. Read an article the next day that Foley made his way back stage after the show and made a crack about one of the roadies teeth (British). Roadie punched Foley's in the face breaking several teeth. Great night.

Almost all of the well-known people I've met have been work-related.

I covered the Chicago Bears training camp for four years, so I met Ditka and all of the players of that era. Jim Harbaugh came to my radio station to cut some promos.

A short list: (sports) Richard Petty, Johnny Rutherford, Bill Elliot, Kenny Schrader, Bob Cousy.

(politics) Steve Forbes, Ralph Nader, Herb Kohl (Wisc US Senator, owner of Milw Bucks), former Wisc Gov Tommy Thompson, Tim Walz, Collin Peterson,

(other) mercury Astronaut Scott Carpenter

(MN related) Tim Brewster, Brad Childress, Flip Saunders,

And a butt-load of MN Twins players and coaches (my station used to host the Twins Winter Caravan) - Puckett, Johan Santana, Mientkewicz, Cuddyer, Pierzynski, Denny Hocking, Blyleven, Gardy, Al Newman, Gladden, etc.

Robin Williams, City Lights book store San Francisco. I recognized him, and he knew I did, but I said nothing. Two young girls approach him for an autograph, and he was wonderfully gracious.

Kevin Garnett at St. Johns where they would have their training camp. Came out of the gym into the hall and asked me and my dad where the weight room was.

Top Bottom