Fair catch penalty - Please clarify

We're Comin'

Reaction score
I re watched some of the game....there was a penalty on the Gophers for hitting a player that had signaled for a fair catch. But when I watch the replay, the TCU guy was going to hit the Gopher player, so the Gopher hit him.

Why should that be a penalty?

Can the TCU returner hit a gunner after signaling a fair catch?

A player who calls a fair catch can not block or be blocked. BJ should have gotten help from another official on this play. There was not a block thrown, just some chicken fighting. However the Gopher technically contacts the TCU player.

It was a botched call.

Speaking of botched call, what about the backwards pass by TCU? It was close to being backwards, but maybe it wasn't. Did the refs actually call it 2nd and 17, or was that just screwed up by FS1? They eventually got it right, but it either had to be 2nd and 10 or Gopher ball. 2nd and 17 wasn't a valid option.

Speaking of botched call, what about the backwards pass by TCU? It was close to being backwards, but maybe it wasn't. Did the refs actually call it 2nd and 17, or was that just screwed up by FS1? They eventually got it right, but it either had to be 2nd and 10 or Gopher ball. 2nd and 17 wasn't a valid option.

Called 2nd and 17 w runner ruled down w possession of ball before Wilson recovered due to the whistle I believe. Still of the opinion it was a backward pass though

Top Bottom