Facility Upgrades at 3M Arena at Mariucci (Smaller Ice and Added Seats)

Is there a reason why they issued this news release in all caps? I mean, it’s exciting, but not THAT exciting.

Having a non-Olympic sized sheet makes Mariucci a much more realistic candidate to host basketball and volleyball games/matches, for what it's worth.

Seating systems readily exist, and work quite well, for NHL to NBA conversions. See Target Center and pro arenas throughout the country that host both.

Having a non-Olympic sized sheet makes Mariucci a much more realistic candidate to host basketball and volleyball games/matches, for what it's worth.

Seating systems readily exist, and work quite well, for NHL to NBA conversions. See Target Center and pro arenas throughout the country that host both.
That’s an interesting point I hadn’t considered, but why host basketball or volleyball at Mariucci when there’s a court right across the street?

That’s an interesting point I hadn’t considered, but why host basketball or volleyball at Mariucci when there’s a court right across the street?
If the Pav and/or Williams ever undergo renovations or rebuild. Or even if vball would just like to host a particular match in a larger arena (sell more tickets, like for the Wisc match) and perhaps don’t want to risk falling off Williams floor?

Is there a reason why they issued this news release in all caps? I mean, it’s exciting, but not THAT exciting.

I'm not sure. Maybe as others mentioned.

I think because some seats may appear to be changed. People can feel sensitive about that. It's sort of an * attention major renovation affecting seats *. It's simply making the ice smaller and thus allowing another row up front. I believe the ice needs to be lowered, so some sightlines will be slightly higher. Some may feel touchy about that.

The larger ice now jumps out at me as huge. I personally prefer more standard size ice. The seats now get closer to the center of the ice and the other side of the ice not so far away.

Mariucci has hosted MSHL basketball tournament games before:

by Nate Gotlieb
Published March 26, 2014

The University of Minnesota’s premier hockey facility turned into a basketball arena for two days last week.
Mariucci Arena hosted 10 Minnesota State High School League girls’ basketball state tournament games after a hockey tournament and potential Gophers basketball games forced the MSHSL to consider different venues.

“We played as much as we could at Williams Arena,” said Kevin Merkle, an associate director for the MSHSL, “but in order to make it work, we had to also use Mariucci.”

The MSHSL traditionally uses the Target Center and Williams Arena for its basketball state tournament games. The league needed another venue this year because the National Collegiate Hockey Conference booked the Target Center for its Frozen Faceoff and the Gophers reserved Williams Arena for potential NIT games.

The MSHSL used Mariucci Arena for basketball games in 2008. Merkle said those games gave the league confidence the venue would work again this year.

Mariucci/Ridder Arena Facilities Director Craig Flor said the MSHSL paid to rent a basketball court from the Xcel Energy Center and said installing the court before and uninstalling it took about 4 ½ hours.

“All the teams loved the atmosphere, and the court was just fine,” he said. “We had a lot of positive comments.”

Flor said the University made money from the 10-game slate but didn’t know the exact amount

I can't seem to find the answer to my question (not on this thread however). I get that they are making the ice sheet smaller. My question is. Will there be a gap between the boards and the first row of seats? I'm hoping that this is not the case. The old civic center was designed that way and I never liked that.

I can't seem to find the answer to my question (not on this thread however). I get that they are making the ice sheet smaller. My question is. Will there be a gap between the boards and the first row of seats? I'm hoping that this is not the case. The old civic center was designed that way and I never liked that.
They are adding seats

No they are digging down in order to add seats that will be right on the glass.

More visuals from KSTP, as others have indicated.

I don't think even the Olympics uses Olympic sized ice sheets anymore.

It was also mentioned by Assoc AD Jeff Seifriz that this will conform to NCAA requirements for Championships. Thus, it's back on the table for the Gophers to host future Regionals.

I thought they couldn't dig down due to the water table. Apparently, that was a bad story.

I remember that being the case with the Metrodome at that location. I don't know the water table level / issue at the campus site. I think the Metrodome already was a big hole fans walked down into. I doubt that's the case with Mariucci.

Seems like they'd get more than just two new rows of seating. Gopher ice looked really wide on TV, compared to NHL. But any way, will be nice!

Seems like they'd get more than just two new rows of seating. Gopher ice looked really wide on TV, compared to NHL. But any way, will be nice!
They are not bringing it all the way in to NHL size. This is a hybrid between former olympic size sheet and NHL standard.

Last edited:

They are not bringing it all the way in to NHL size. This is a hybrid between former olympic size sheet and NHL standard.
Will be interesting to see if opponents like this much more than the Olympic size and have better results against the Gophers. Hope I'm wrong.

Will be interesting to see if opponents like this much more than the Olympic size and have better results against the Gophers. Hope I'm wrong.
Will not make a significant W/L difference. If anything most of our teams under Bob have been better built for small ice.

They would have done 200x85 but they were not able to.

Top Bottom