Facility issue?

balds

Reaction score
Did anyone catch Fleck's postgame interview on KFAN? I caught part of it and it was loud, but I swear Fleck mentioned something about them not being able to use their facility for half of the week. Gaard asked why, and he replied something like "we just couldn't". He sounded irritated.

Did I hear that right?

If so, anyone know what he's referring to?

You shouldn't need any facilities to know what happens when the offense goes quick and the defense tries to sub.

Did anyone catch Fleck's postgame interview on KFAN? I caught part of it and it was loud, but I swear Fleck mentioned something about them not being able to use their facility for half of the week. Gaard asked why, and he replied something like "we just couldn't". He sounded irritated.

Did I hear that right?

Just like bleedsmaroonandgold just said. I don't know either.;)

Did I hear that right?

It was a weird exchange, Gaard obviously knew it was something PJ was upset about, tried to get him to comment on it.

Did I hear that right?

I don't know anything, but not being able to use the field house to me would say that there was some sort of major repair that needed to be done or something, and it didn't happen as quick as it should have? Idk.

Maybe the fire alarm broke and kept going off? Or maybe there was an electrical issue?

I don't know anything, but not being able to use the field house to me would say that there was some sort of major repair that needed to be done or something, and it didn't happen as quick as it should have? Idk.

Maybe the fire alarm broke and kept going off? Or maybe there was an electrical issue?
I had limited hearing, was it just the field house they couldn't use? PJ was clearly unhappy about it.

Yep, something odd there that we heard. Justin put it up and Coach did not take the bait. There is a story but we were playing in 80+ degrees just a couple of weeks ago. Conditioning and game prep failure for sure today.

I was reminded however by the fact that we're playing the Rajin Cajuns in a couple of weeks. In the early 2000s my Mom was dealing with cancer that had me going home to Atlanta every 9-12 weeks. Took 16 trips over the time of her chemo to her death.

One of the trips was in the Mason era where we were playing Louisiana Lafayette down there. Anywho this was the day before easy internet so I actually was able to park/locate my rental car at an angle that actually picked up the night game on AM radio 500 miles away. Point is that probably half the Gophers team was going down with cramps. Memory is that we won but with great burden due to cramps. I think those were the days of drinking pickle juice and it did not work for us.

Back to the point. Yep, something happened but I would not pin that on what happened today. Just a poor showing. Simple as that.

The point is that by punting at that point in the game, giving the ball back to a WB who was carving us up with precision passes, we essentially conceded a loss.
You do the same sooner if you don't make the 1st down.

The short (4min) postgame with Gaard is on the iHeart podcasts page here: https://www.iheart.com/podcast/462-gophers-on-demand-28275888/

It’s at the end of the interview. This is what I heard from 3:51 on:

Gaard: Last thing for you, I know you practiced in the indoor 80+ degrees .. seems like you dealt with a lot of cramping again here today, was that surprising for you in that I’m sure you were prepared for it?

Fleck: Well we only got to practice in the indoor for half the week.

Gaard: …[I assume this pause was Gaard waiting for PJ to elaborate unprompted]….. How come?

Fleck: Uhh … ughhhhh … [very awkward pause here .. gears spinning in Fleck’s head of if he should let this go] … we just weren’t able to.

No further elaboration on why.

Sounds like an odd response. If it was mechanical or electrical, I assume he would have responded with those. Anyway, seems like an odd question to be evasive on answering.

Sounds like an odd response. If it was mechanical or electrical, I assume he would have responded with those. Anyway, seems like an odd question to be evasive on answering.
It was just a very:…Guarded…” response to Gaard’s set-up loaded question. Shows great restraint on the part of the coach. That’s experience avoiding the issue at the highest level. Nice one coach!

Last edited:

It was just a very:…Guarded…” response to Gaard’s set-up loaded question. Shows great restraint on the part of the coach. That’s experience avoiding the issue at the highest level. Nice one coach!
Assuming sarcasm from you, if not weird question to be "guarded" about answering.

Yeah but OK ... what actually happened??

Isn't this the most Norwegian Minnesota thing ever?

"Oooohhhh jaaa .... da futboll team wants tah use a primary futbool facility ja?? Sorry bout dat on jaa ... guess ve shouldn't have scheduled to replace da entire HVAC system starting on a Wednesday jaaa??"

You don’t actually practice not getting cramps. You take fluids. Who’s running the trainers’ team?

"can't" implies that the facility was unavailable.

so either, as people have speculated, there was some physical reason for a nearly-new facility not being available --- or another group, team or organization was using the facility.

to me, this reminds me of High School coaches complaining that they had to schedule basketball practice at 7:00am because that was the only time they could use the gym.

The way he approached the question, it was not a mechanical issue they couldn't use it. Something else was going on here.....if it was indeed a non-revenue sport wanting to use the football teams tech, Coyle needs to put his big boy pants on and fix it

Top Bottom