Facebook Algorithms

Well, the Knight Commission says today that just in football, the FBS schools (so all 130, not just P5) should break away from the NCAA and run the football operations themselves, funded by the CFP.

https://www.knightcommission.org/20...ning-structure-for-the-sport-of-fbs-football/

After a year-long examination, the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics called today for major governance changes for Division I sports, proposing a new governing entity for the sport of football at the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) level, separate from the NCAA. The NCAA would govern all other sports in a reorganized Division I governance, and schools with FBS football programs would remain part of the NCAA in all other sports except football.

The Commission unveiled its recommendations, outlined in a new report, Transforming the NCAA D-I Model: Recommendations for Change, at its virtual forum today. The restructuring proposal responds to key shortcomings in NCAA governance and organizational structure identified in a recent Knight Commission survey of D-I leaders, including college presidents, athletics directors and conference commissioners, and provides a “big solution” that leaders desire.

The Commission’s proposal for governance reform would make no change to the NCAA’s Division I men’s and women’s basketball championships. Nearly 4 in 5 survey respondents agreed it was essential for March Madness to maintain its current format.

The NCAA currently handles all regulatory functions for the sport of FBS football yet does not receive any revenues from the sport. FBS football’s national championship, the College Football Playoff (CFP), is managed instead by the independent CFP Administration, LLC, outside of the NCAA structure. The revenues from that championship, which generated more than $460 million in 2019, are retained by the FBS conferences and institutions to use however they choose.

“We’re at a moment of both crisis and opportunity in college sports,” said Knight Commission co-chair Arne Duncan, former U.S. Secretary of Education. “Now is not the time to think only of narrow institutional interests. Now is the time for college leaders to step up, and act on their desire to advance big solutions to benefit college athletes.”

The Commission’s novel survey found that nearly 80 percent of Division I campus and sports leaders favor “big solutions” over incremental change for reforming D-I governance, and those leaders also believe the crisis created by the COVID-19 pandemic presents the “perfect time” to address serious governance shortcomings.

The NCAA’s 114-year history is marked by a steady pattern of major college football programs seeking greater autonomy from NCAA control.

However, the Knight Commission has concluded that the governance of NCAA Division I is no longer keeping pace with the rapid commercial growth of college athletics, particularly FBS football. Separating the sport of FBS football from the NCAA would end Division I’s financially dysfunctional system of governance, in which the NCAA absorbs all national expenses for FBS football, without receiving any financial benefits from the sport or its College Football Playoff. Those expenses include enforcement, catastrophic insurance, legal services, health and safety administration, and research.

“No single entity today is responsible for FBS football – the most powerful sport in Division I athletics,” said incoming Knight Commission co-chair Nancy Zimpher, Chancellor Emeritus of the State University of New York. “It is time to end this leadership void and bring more accountability to the sport, both for the benefit of athletes and for the future of FBS football.”

The new governing entity would be funded by CFP revenues, and manage all issues related to the sport of FBS football, including athlete education, health, safety, revenue distribution, litigation, eligibility, and enforcement. (For ease of explanation, the Commission is calling the new organization the “National College Football Association,” or NCFA.)

As part of its reform proposal, the Knight Commission recommended principles to guide both the NCAA and the new NCFA. Those principles seek to maintain college sports as a public trust that prioritizes college athletes’ education, health, safety, and success.

Even if you hadn't bought, just say "yoga pants yoga pants yoga pants" near your phone and you'll get more of these ads on FB and Insta

This is true. One of my clients is based in Israel. Because of that, I am on a lot of calls where I am talking about Jewish things (holidays, last names, the word "Hebrew") and my phone is convinced I'm an old Jewish man. Almost all of my ads are trips to Israel, JDate, etc.

I don't even have a FB or Insta, so this is like with the targeted ads on YouTube and sites like Gopherhole.

This is true. One of my clients is based in Israel. Because of that, I am on a lot of calls where I am talking about Jewish things (holidays, last names, the word "Hebrew") and my phone is convinced I'm an old Jewish man. Almost all of my ads are trips to Israel, JDate, etc.

I don't even have a FB or Insta, so this is like with the targeted ads on YouTube and sites like Gopherhole.
That's Siri or Google voice listening in. I am pretty sure on android if you turn off Google voice you won't get those ads.

Top Bottom