FAALELE Top 10 OT NFL Draft

As much as I hope he stays his senior year, it's awesome to see him so high and if predictions stay this way I can see him declaring.

Kid's got the measurables that the NFL salivates over. He did not have a great year as a Sophomore.

He's the kind of guy you just want him to succeed.Daniel_Faalele.jpg

Good for him.

He has size for sure. I like him.

But I don't think though he has been super consistently great though. I tend to watch the OL through binoculars at the game and at times he's kinda hit and miss IMO. Misses on blocks at times, doesn't drive guys back who I think he should be able to do so durring running plays. He gets off track at times. Still he also can step up and play outstanding.

Granted I'm not a scout or GM or coach so maybe I'm missing something...

Good for him.

But I don't think though he has been super consistently great though. I tend to watch the OL through binoculars at the game and at times he's kinda hit and miss IMO. Misses on blocks at times, doesn't drive guys back who I think he should be able to do so durring running plays. He gets off track at times. Still he also can step up and play outstanding.

Little better foot work. He will get that if he stays.

Good for him.

No, you're seeing the same things that I am. He can also get blown by during his pass protection too (just like any other college Tackle).

This is my own speculation, but there's a chance that things are still moving a little fast for him. He does not have the benefit of 10,000 or more reps blocking that someone like Andries has. I saved a quote somewhere from Fleck (I'm not gonna find it - so this is paraphrasing) saying, "We have to Let our kids play fast. We need to simplify our schemes so that they're not thinking out there - they're just playing and reacting." He said this in response to firing the old DC and starting to have more success with Rossi.

If Daniel is out there thinking, he's really not playing. I've definitely seen him miss on some of the zone schemes where he goes to block the DE, but that DE stunts into the B gap, making him the assignment of Dunlap or someone else at guard. So he'll stay with that DE instead of protecting his "C" gap. This gives the LB a free shot into the backfield

No, you're seeing the same things that I am. He can also get blown by during his pass protection too (just like any other college Tackle).

This is my own speculation, but there's a chance that things are still moving a little fast for him. He does not have the benefit of 10,000 or more reps blocking that someone like Andries has. I saved a quote somewhere from Fleck (I'm not gonna find it - so this is paraphrasing) saying, "We have to Let our kids play fast. We need to simplify our schemes so that they're not thinking out there - they're just playing and reacting." He said this in response to firing the old DC and starting to have more success with Rossi.

If Daniel is out there thinking, he's really not playing. I've definitely seen him miss on some of the zone schemes where he goes to block the DE, but that DE stunts into the B gap, making him the assignment of Dunlap or someone else at guard. So he'll stay with that DE instead of protecting his "C" gap. This gives the LB a free shot into the backfield
Thanks.

Yeah the wiff on a stunt by the DL, seen that.

I mean I don't blame him either, like you say he hasn't seen this stuff as much as others.

OL can be a very difficult position mentally. Remembering who to block on which play, what happens if the defense lines up this other way, what if the QB switches the play before the snap, then which technique do I use, should I call for a combo block, do I need to alert the back then, and oh by the way what was the snap count?

It’s takes time and reps. To get the mental part down. And as others have said, you can’t play fast until you have the mental part locked down.

OL can be a very difficult position mentally. Remembering who to block on which play, what happens if the defense lines up this other way, what if the QB switches the play before the snap, then which technique do I use, should I call for a combo block, do I need to alert the back then, and oh by the way what was the snap count?

It’s takes time and reps. To get the mental part down. And as others have said, you can’t play fast until you have the mental part locked down.

In Mike Leach's book, "Swing your Sword," he says the top asset of any head coach is your Offensive Line Coach. I wouldn't say it's the hardest position to coach, but it's certainly the most important. It's a great book and a much more interesting story than the general "Coach biography." Whether you like him or not, there's no denying that he and Hal Mumme changed the sport of football.

This is the quote from Fleck I was referencing earlier:

“We have to be able to keep it simple for our players, we have to be sound and we've got to play fast,” Fleck said. “We've got to put our players in the best position to be successful. That’s what I’ve told Joe, and that’s what I want to see out of him.”

This was right after he fired Robb Smith. I keep wanting to say Robb Thomas, but that's a different guy. He's the one who recorded Smooth featuring Carlos Santana

Alright, now I'm rambling, but reading between the lines, Smith was doing too much with the defense? Too many schemes? This will make those boys confused and playing on their heels.

The really interesting thing about Ciarrocca's offense is their blocking is SUPER LIMITED. They run inside/outside zone, Play-Action (which is zone) and some form of drop-back. I would think 90% of high school programs have more schemes than that. Less is more.

I think he needs more work. Would really benefit him to play at least one more season here.

A giant of an OT with clod-hoppers are desirable.

One that can move with precision is a premium. I'd like for him to stay and play an extra year in the Gophers program so they can develop his overall package even better.

The reason to declare is that he is a big body and his knees only have so many years of wear and tear in them.

The reason not to declare is that he's nowhere near ready for the NFL. Frankly, he's not really ready for college either but his size and athleticism let him get away with a lot of mistakes. I don't think that would fly in the NFL.

He was still inconsistent in foot movement and technique, and has been flat out beaten on some plays.

What is to his advantage from wear and tear standpoint is that he started playing football very late. Waiting an extra year will only improve his draft stock, and can make up the money as a first or second rounder rather than a later rounder.

The disadvantage is the lack of seasoning as a football player.

I really think he should stay with the Gophers an extra year and get fully developed with coaching and conditioning.

Last edited:

The reason to declare is that he is a big body and his knees only have so many years of wear and tear in them.

The reason not to declare is that he's nowhere near ready for the NFL. Frankly, he's not really ready for college either but his size and athleticism let him get away with a lot of mistakes. I don't think that would fly in the NFL.
I agree with this assessment.

If you get to an NFL camp and you don’t have certain fundamentals down — not waist bending, correct steps, correct punch placement, etc. — those OL coach just don’t have the time (or patience) to deal with that for very long.

Every NFL coach thinks he's the best, and I guarantee they're all drooling over the prospect of being the one to take this kid from raw to HOF'er. I've said this since the day I learned about Faalele. His measurables are just too tempting for most teams to pass up, regardless of how much work he'll need.

Every NFL coach thinks he's the best, and I guarantee they're all drooling over the prospect of being the one to take this kid from raw to HOF'er. I've said this since the day I learned about Faalele. His measurables are just too tempting for most teams to pass up, regardless of how much work he'll need.
Sorry but I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. There's just too many highly talented tackles from P5 schools, as big or nearly as big as Faalele, who are ready to go with fundamentals.

It's about adjusting to the size and complexity of the NFL playbook, and especially about adjusting to the speed of the NFL game.

If you don't have your fundamental techniques down, that'll never happen, regardless how much coaching you get.

Top Bottom