Exorcising the Monson Demons

CPTMidnight

Reaction score
I hesitate to speak ill of Monson because after all he came into a program with massive penalties and a horrible reputation. He also has probably forgotten more about college basketball than I will ever know. The fact that he was able to even have moderate success for a year or two and get a few bigger name recruits show some talent. Still I think we can all admit that while he may do well at another school (and I wish him a National Title someday), he could not help us further and a change was necessary. Perhaps the change was long overdue and good for both parties.

With the change has come the opportunity to finally rid the program of problems that have plagued us for years and I have to say as a long time Fan that it feels really good. Some of the basketball demons already overcome

A return to being ranked and followed nationally
Cohesive team (without the internal strife that seemed to follow Monsons team)
DEFENSE
Wisconsin at Wisconsin
Illinois anywhere

Ones to hope for:
Big 10 Tourney Title
Long Run in NCAA tourney
Stopping the flow of recruits out of MN (especially to WI, and more for the poor kids than the rivalry)
Perpetual sellouts
A truly intimidating Student Section (Not quite there yet especially since they gave half their seats to regular season ticket holders)
Making the Barn impossible for other teams to win at.

What have I missed?

Let's get these off the check list as well

Some other things for the Gophers to get off their check list:

(1) win at Breslin
(2) win at Assembly Hall (the one in Champaign)
(3) beat a NCAA qualifier in a true road game (we might already have that with win over Badgers)
(4) consistently earn a bye at the BTT (we've only done it once in 11 years)
(5) enjoy "comfortable" Selection Sundays, where we're more worried about seed than the bubble

I don't harbor any ill will against Dan Monson but have to wonder if the gig in Long Beach isn't better suited to his personal style and desired lifestyle than a higher profile (and higher expectations) role ala Georgia.

I'd be surprised if he wants to re-enter the recruiting and pressure-filled fray that a Georgia would represent.

>>it would be nice to see him get into another big name conference again.<<

Monson is poorly equipped to tackle a job like Georgia's. Idaho State, Bosie State, or South Dakota perhaps.

Top Bottom