EXHIBITION: GOPHERS HOST UW RIVER FALLS (10-30-22)

Boxing Out with Effort:

Minnesota Golden Gophers Women's Basketball has somewhat struggled at defense the last several years. Let's say the Gophers haven't been able to recruit defense rock stars, but it's fair to wonder if they simply underperformed.

The #1 key to good defense is effort. It really is. Defense is solidly influenced by effort.

In rebounding, the goal is to keep the other team from getting the ball by boxing out, plus effort. That's why coaches say, "box out, box out, box out!" This is where effort really does make a difference.

Boxing out is putting in effort to position yourself between the ball and the opposing team player. It's exerting effort to keep the other team from getting the ball.

Contrary to some popular opinions, rebounding is not to track the ball and grab it. Rebounding is first keeping the other team from getting the ball by boxing out with effort. Then with the other team blocked from the ball, someone on your team will get the ball. Box out, box out, box out.

So let's look at this play against Division 3 sub-.500 UW River Falls.

See photos below.

Braun dribbles up on a break and shoots.

Rose Micheaux, a good player on the verge of a great career, stands and watches the ball sail to the rim.

Then Micheax stands in place alone and watches the ball approach the rim.

With Micheax standing in place staring at the rim, the River Falls player walks over with effort and boxes out the Gophers player. Notice the River Falls player is not standing still in place staring at the rim.

THE GOPHERS PLAYERS SHOULD BE POSITIONING TO BOX OUT. Not staring at the ball to grab it, but first hampering the other team from getting to the ball.

Is this a coaching issue or player training? Yes, it does take time.

I think it's fair to call out effort and boxing out over the course of the upcoming season.

In conclusion:

In this post the word "effort" is mentioned nine times.

In this post the phrase "box out" is mentioned 12 times.

1667660337359.png

1667660362459.png

1667660375892.png

Last edited:

I don’t have pictures but I’ve also watched positioning. Which in the program I coach in is something that is talked about a lot. When the shots are long, the rebounds are going to be longer. I can think of one time when a 3 pointer is shot from the baseline wing and no one is on the opposite side and River falls ends up with the o board and I believe scores. There is more to crashing boards then boxing out….boxing out on the block with long rebounds isn’t going to completely fix the situation. Rose I thought was too far under the basket on rebounding. Not even getting pushed under just bad positioning. The trajectory of where the ball is coming from and positioning is what I believe needs improvement.

I don’t have pictures but I’ve also watched positioning. Which in the program I coach in is something that is talked about a lot. When the shots are long, the rebounds are going to be longer. I can think of one time when a 3 pointer is shot from the baseline wing and no one is on the opposite side and River falls ends up with the o board and I believe scores. There is more to crashing boards then boxing out….boxing out on the block with long rebounds isn’t going to completely fix the situation. Rose I thought was too far under the basket on rebounding. Not even getting pushed under just bad positioning. The trajectory of where the ball is coming from and positioning is what I believe needs improvement.

That was an excellent post, better than mine. Good point about angles and distance.

In fairness to Micheaux, for my post I was trying to make a point about effort and boxing out based more on what I remember last season. In fairness to Micheaux, I was using those photos to explain my thinking -- another player was not near initially.

There is a school of thinking that says if the ball lands on the ground -- you don't grab it -- it's good for your team -- as long as your team has better positioned. That view is to make a point about worry more about where you are standing how you are using your body to hamper the other team. Then the odds increase of getting the rebound. Don't think "I have to watch to grab the ball" -- as the other team boxes you out. Think first about positioning and especially better positioning than your competitor. Effort makes a significant difference with defense.

And your point of angles and distance is spot on.

1667674158793.png

Last edited:

That was an excellent post, better than mine. Good point about angles and distance.

In fairness to Micheaux, for my post I was trying to make a point about effort and boxing out based more on what I remember last season. In fairness to Micheaux, I was using those photos to explain my thinking -- another player was not near initially.

There is a school of thinking that says if the ball lands on the ground -- you don't grab it -- it's good for your team -- as long as your team has better positioned. That view is to make a point about worry more about where you are standing how you are using your body to hamper the other team. Then the odds increase of getting the rebound. Don't think "I have to watch to grab the ball" -- as the other team boxes you out. Think first about positioning and especially better positioning than your competitor. Effort makes a significant difference with defense.

And your point of angles and distance is spot on.

I was in no means trying to discredit anything in your post! I think it’s all part of it. Tbh I typed the positioning thing a week ago and forgot to submit it. And then when you touched on it again I felt I could add to it. I just mean I didn’t have pictures to reference what I was showing and it was all off of memory.

Top Bottom