Exhibition: Gophers Host Minnesota Crookston (10-31-21)

Sometimes I think we get caught up on the ranking of players when they are recruited. Smith, for example, was rated much higher than her current talent would warrant. She hasn’t shown much. 0-7 shooting against a D2 school is highly unimpressive. Borowicz should be the 2nd guard off the bench behind Winters. Overall a decent effort by the team, however.
Borowicz is out for the year following back surgery.

Wishing Katie a successful surgery and recovery. Many of us are wondering how Whalen will manage such a large roster. Sometimes injuries make those decisions for coaches. And, as someone previously said, I'd rather have a roster that's too big than one that is too small. Next opponent Jacksonville had to finish a game last year with 4 players on the court.

Wishing Katie a successful surgery and recovery. Many of us are wondering how Whalen will manage such a large roster. Sometimes injuries make those decisions for coaches. And, as someone previously said, I'd rather have a roster that's too big than one that is too small. Next opponent Jacksonville had to finish a game last year with 4 players on the court.
The reality is these kids & parents need to understand the level they have chosen to play at. I will say if 2-3 of these kids/parents on the team currently would of been open to constructive feedback in AAU, they would realize this level isn't right for them, if playing significant minutes was their desire.. Maybe they did receive that feedback in AAU and were ok being on scholarship in a power5 school, with the hope they eventually get a few minutes by the time they are seniors, who knows.
Look at Maryland, they turn over kids like crazy, when those kids realize they dont get the minutes.. There is one particular kid on Maryland that the parents had blinders on when they chose Maryland - Sharp basketball eyes can see when a kid isnt tall enough, or quick enough, or play D good enough, parents don't see that.
so with that said, I see a couple 2-3 that wont get any meaningful min this year and about 3-4 that may struggle to get quality minutes it may be 8 min one game and 0 the next.

Well, it's fair to say that the optimum rotation should be maybe only 8 or 9 players. And that should be true for this year's Gopher roster also. Anything past that, I don't think players can expect to get consistent playing time.

Top Bottom